PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Rear Trailing arms on a GU, advise please

04OFF
1st November 2014, 08:19 PM
So today I notice I have a slightly bent lower rear trailing arm, (im guessing from my last glasshouse trip) i was looking at getting these..........

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Rear-Lower-Control-Trailing-Arm-GQ-GU-Y60-Y61-Patrol-Nissan-16mm-Extra-H-Duty-/360853978655?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540492be1f

They are longer by 16mm (i have a 2 inch lift) and they are also thicker wall to resist damage, i notice my factory arms have some sort of dampener attached to them, so im guessing this is there for a reason, the replacement ones don't have this dampener, so im wondering how important this is ?

So apart from the dampener question, has anyone had issues from fitting slightly longer lower rear arms ?

BTW ,I don't want to go the adjustable lower rear arms to avoid hassle from DOT.

MudRunnerTD
1st November 2014, 08:28 PM
Dont worry about the dampener. I dont think you need +16mm longer lower arms with a 2" lift though. I would go HD standard length for your setup. I have standard Length on both the GQ and the GU. The GQ is 5" lift and has adjustable Uppers. and the GUIV is a 3" lift and had HD standard Length Lowers from Superiors

doka404
1st November 2014, 10:27 PM
if your pinion angle was fine then all you need are standard length lowers. If you put in longer ones it will throw the pinion angle out.
So a set of HD std length lowers would be the way to go as MudRunner said.

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/Heavy-Duty-Lower-Control-Arms-Nissan-Patrol-standard-factory-length-NPTAB.html

FYI - Its just 2 ways you can adjust your pinion angle after lifts..Either adj uppers and standard lowers, or standard uppers and longer lowers.

Ben-e-boy
1st November 2014, 10:43 PM
Standard length only steve,
Unless you go long arms

04OFF
1st November 2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys, glad i asked, going on your advise, just ordered these........

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261643214010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They are standard length and 5.5mm thick wall so should not bend easy, with 10% ebay sale i got them for $211 a pair.

MudRunnerTD
1st November 2014, 11:43 PM
what is the 10% Ebay sale all about? is that just that seller or is it Ebay??

Clunk
2nd November 2014, 12:02 AM
what is the 10% Ebay sale all about? is that just that seller or is it Ebay??

Ebay gave been doing Sunday discounts, so basically they send you an email with a code. Purchase anything out want, apply the voucher code and get stuff cheaper......... Has to be an eBay run thing, could be wrong though

MudRunnerTD
2nd November 2014, 12:28 AM
Cool! What is the Code?? keen

megatexture
2nd November 2014, 12:34 AM
I've got a press Steve if you need

04OFF
2nd November 2014, 01:10 AM
Thanks Troy, ill keep it in mind.

Yeh the 10% off thing is legit egay/paypal checkout thing (not from individual sellers), my code was only valid for 4 more days, so good timing me finks

MudRunnerTD
2nd November 2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks Troy, ill keep it in mind.

Yeh the 10% off thing is legit egay/paypal checkout thing (not from individual sellers), my code was only valid for 4 more days, so good timing me finks

WS the code specific to you? If not can you post t here or pm me. I need to buy a gun safe.

04OFF
2nd November 2014, 10:09 AM
Yeh just for me and I used it now sorry (lol)

The suspension mob I ordered the arms off are on the ball, sent me a message about 15 min after I placed my order (late sat night) checking what car I had and confirming I wanted standard length, then I got a response this morning (sunday) telling me they will be sent tomorrow :smiley_thumbs_up: