PDA

View Full Version : diff gears gu manual wagon

GUJas
1st November 2014, 03:17 PM
Hi there new to the forum and glad to see so many out there with the same expencive habit 😊 Have a manual gu wagon with the 4.2 turbo in it. Just fitted 35s and have discovered a major down fall to the extra tread. She now lacks major take off power. Have had a look around in previous discussions but can't find much on the topic of changing diff gears? Have found a little on Google etc but am looking to hear from someone who has dealt with this or maybe where to find the info. Think I'm looking at changing from 3.9 gears to 4.375 gears but really would like to hear any ups downs or opinions thanks

Sherro
1st November 2014, 08:58 PM
G'day mate welcome to the forum and the 4.375's will probably get your speedo pretty close or even 4.6's out of a rd28 patrol.

my third 256
2nd November 2014, 08:13 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

Dhuck
2nd November 2014, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

GUJas
2nd November 2014, 11:28 AM
Cool thanks yea just discovered in the manual that the 4.375 s come out in the new 3L GU does that mean I could swap these? Provided I find them?

the evil twin
2nd November 2014, 12:11 PM
snip...
Just fitted 35s and have discovered a major down fall to the extra tread. She now lacks major take off power.
Think I'm looking at changing from 3.9 gears to 4.375 gears but really would like to hear any ups downs or opinions thanks

Yeah, 35's with 3.9 won't be real flash

Rule of thumb if you want to maintain "original performane is for every 2 inch step in tyre dia (31 to 33 to 35 to 37) then you should step your diff ratio accordingly (3.9 to 4.1 to 4.3 to 4.6).

So 4.3 diff ratio will essentially bring it back to "normal" performance IE it will drive as if it had 31's.
4.6 might be a consideration if you want it to go better in gnarly stuff at expense of higher revs on road.

IMHO I'd change to 4.3's, unless you do lots of off road

GUJas
3rd November 2014, 07:06 PM
Awesome thanks for the info yea do lots of off road but do many more kms getting to the tracks to begin with so think I'll go the 4.3 s. Now just need to find gears and the right mechanic to swap em

phatmick
4th November 2014, 02:05 PM
Gday and welcome to the forum