PDA

View Full Version : GQ Power windows

Happy Gilmour
29th October 2014, 05:57 PM
I am sure this topic has been done to death and have searched for answers

I have a few issues going on with my windows so I hope you can help me,
1) Drivers door motor runs freely up and down when not mounted to the regulator, when mounted it will only wind windows down but when you try to wind up it does series of about 5 clicks and stops. New regulator installed last night so Suspecting it is motor/bushes

2) Passenger front goes down but to get back up you have to find right spot in switch and only by using the door switch to go back up and it does so slowly

3) RHS rear regulator drive gear is at fault, did read on one post where someone has has drilled hile onto drive gear and hammered nail into hole but for the life of me cannot find thread again.

any help on the above would be gratefully appreciated

NissanGQ4.2
29th October 2014, 07:10 PM
1) Sounds like the motor might be struggling under load, Pretty sure the drivers rear motor will fit, swap them over and try and see if it works or not, maybe the window seals arn't the best and is causing it 2 struggle going up.

2) Have you cleaned the switch connections? they seem to be a major problem with age.

3) Never heard of anyone drilling a hole into the drive gear and using a nail, can't help on that one other than buy a new drive gear

Happy Gilmour
29th October 2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks Nissan GQ 4.2 was thinking that would be the case on number one just wasn't 100% sure if they were same. 2 was also suspecting that but to be sure was looking for 2nd opinion. 3 do have another drive gear from reg I just removed what are the tips on putting back together so nothing catches as drive gear housing is pressed together

menace 2
29th October 2014, 10:45 PM
that's the part I just drilled out where it is pressed together and it comes off...I used screw head bolts to put it back on and ground the thread down on the back...when off I drilled a hole in the gear and the shaft and used the 2 inch nail as a form of cotter pin to stop it turning on the shaft . Then as I said , bolted it back together with short wide flat head (Philips head) bolts about 4 mm wide thread...probably easier to get second hand winder and gear arm but I didn't want to drive around with the windows not closing ..It didn't take long to do.....all this assuming you have the same problem

Happy Gilmour
29th October 2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks Menace 2 I do appreciate it as I am finding out that out here in Broken Hill is becoming quite limited in regs so having a way to repair them will be usefull

kevin07
30th October 2014, 01:19 AM
I had exactly same problem pulled the trim off and got the motor and the problem was in the winder undo the 3 screws. then connect the motor to power you have a metal cover with 3 notches in it that go into a white plastic washer with 3 holes in it, under load these 2 pieces are probably coming apart so not engaging for the wind up. to fix this I fitted several washers to stop all the play just keep working at fitting the washers till it works soundly. anyway that fixed mine.

Happy Gilmour
31st October 2014, 11:58 AM
1) Sounds like the motor might be struggling under load, Pretty sure the drivers rear motor will fit, swap them over and try and see if it works or not, maybe the window seals arn't the best and is causing it 2 struggle going up.

2) Have you cleaned the switch connections? they seem to be a major problem with age.

3) Never heard of anyone drilling a hole into the drive gear and using a nail, can't help on that one other than buy a new drive gear

The rear motor did fit.

Cleaned all switches, have front windows working great, rears not working from master switch or door switches so thinking maybe a relay so still investigating