PDA

View Full Version : Viscous hub questions!

Spar
28th October 2014, 08:22 PM
Hi i have been having issues with my TB42 overheating while traveling at 100km or above. I have pulled out the radiator and it's a bit worse for wear, so i ordered a now one, but it doesn't seem to be blocked at all. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to check if the viscus hub is functioning correctly while the radiator is off.

I have attached a pic of the stuffed radiator to give you a idea, but i don't think it's enough to make the car overheat at 100...Thanks

dannypatrol
28th October 2014, 08:27 PM
Not that I am an expert but learned couple of months that you can take the viscous hub out and try to spin it. Having said that, my car was overheating and the viscous fan was still pretty good. But after replacement the overheating was solved. So it might be worth to just replace it?

Spar
28th October 2014, 08:45 PM
When it's cold i give it a fair spin by hand and it only goes around half a turn if that. Does that tell you anything? I have replaced the fan on it cause that was stuffed. Just got a new radiator and stuff so didn't want to have to spend another 150 on a new viscous if i didn't need to.

Rumcajs
29th October 2014, 09:50 AM
The engine fan should feel tight to turn when cold. It should have fair amount of resistance. If it spins around easily than it has lost it's viscous fluid. Look for telltale sign of dust patches around the fan hub or on blades.

Regards

Stropp
29th October 2014, 12:13 PM
ho mate, you can buy tubes of viscous grease from the other lot (toyota) pull the hub apart clean it out and seal it up again and insert the new grease (fluid) you may need two tubes. search in the top right search box foe viscous hub and you will find plenty of info there.

Spar
29th October 2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah i have heard a bunch of people say the same thing (it should have resistance) but i am wondering how much it should have? I can get half a turn or a little less by giving it a big tug, is this too much?

jay see
29th October 2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah i have heard a bunch of people say the same thing (it should have resistance) but i am wondering how much it should have? I can get half a turn or a little less by giving it a big tug, is this too much?

In my experience, a working one will only move no more than 1/4 of a turn at the most.