PDA

View Full Version : head unit problems

94tigqsnoob
26th October 2014, 08:26 PM
hi guys i have just brought a bone stock 1994 ti gq 2 series and have tried to replace the the stock head unit with at kenwood dual din sized head unit (part number DPX-U510BT) i also brought all relevant adapters so i wouldn't have to cut any wires and when i hooked it all up the new head unit was getting power but wouldn't play through the speakers

ps it is the head unit with the tape deck and cd player as stock and there is a plug left over that runs to the cd player on top left over with when i use the adapters

please help!!!!!!!!!!!

gubigfish
28th October 2014, 09:51 AM
Did that model come with an external amp from factory or has the previous owner had an amp installed? If there is an Amp your speakers will be running from the amp so could explain the extra cable/wire.

Flex
28th October 2014, 08:26 PM
Try test the speaker wiring by connecting a 9V battery across each speaker terminal for a second, the speaker should make a "pheet" sound on connection

Sharky1
29th October 2014, 07:30 PM
I've never been a fan of those adaptors. They always have problems. You'll find that those adaptors are only any good if you have the stock "base model" of each car that the adaptor is made for. Yours is a TI so electrics would definitely be different, even the stereo. For example if you buy an adaptor for an EL ford falcon, it probably won't work on an EL fairmont. I've fitted 100's of head units & stereos in general. Honestly, I know it's not what you want to hear but it's easier & quicker to wire it up as follows.

Red wire: Ign ON
Yellow wire: Batt +
Black wire: Earth
Blue wire: Amp remote (if fitting an amp) which is why gubigfish made a good point
Purple, Green, Grey & white wires are all speaker wires.

The easiest way to see which of your original wires are speaker wires is to pull the speakers out & or have a look at the wiring harness behind each kick panel & also under the rear scuff plates & look for wires that would run towards each speaker that match the colours of the wires at your stereo plug. It usually is that easy.

The other issue I've come across before with those adaptors is if the speaker system on your original deck has a shared earth set up. A stereo with any form of memory requires 11 wires: 8 spkr wires, an earth, ign pos (power) & batt pos (memory). Check your original plug & see if it has 11 wires. If it doesn't then ditch that adaptor at the neighbors cat & wire it up as above, except you'll probably need to use your own speaker wire from the Kenwood to the speakers.

menace 2
29th October 2014, 07:42 PM
the same thing happened to me installing a pioneer with the adaptors into my Ti...it was the factory amp under the drivers seat stopping the sound...two of those left over wires need to be joined together for the sound....I cant remember which ones though....I think I mentioned it in a thread ages ago when someone else had the same problem ?...the left over plug just stays not connected to anything