PDA

View Full Version : New member from Portugal

Janado
24th October 2014, 04:50 PM
Hello all and greetings from Portugal.

I am the owner of a 1982 Y160 LWB Patrol.

I co-own an oyster farm which has an 10km dirt road access and is managing to destroy every type of vehicle that uses it on regular basis, including our Mazda b2500 pickup.

Usually, I tackle this road with a 94 Mercedes C180 that has been raised 7cm and has some plates welded in protecting the sump and transmission... because the roots and rocks tend to gnaw at them. I love the fact that it's rwd and has little electronics and provides excellent fun on the dirt. It's also more resilient than the ute (less bills anyway). It's still in the shop after a light head-on encounter with a Nissan Terrano I (the dirt roads are also narrow) which lead me to buying the Patrol.

It's got 1.5 million km, doesn't smoke, is quite hard compared to the MB and the only non-original parts are the 5 speed gearbox, upgraded from a 4 speed. It does rattle quite a bit though and needs some TLC, but I'm willing to bet it will outlast any other vehicle. It's a keeper.

growler2058
24th October 2014, 04:58 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard wow big K's ay

AB
24th October 2014, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Stropp
24th October 2014, 06:50 PM
gday mate, big klms for a patrol but she will keep chugging along :)

Clunk
24th October 2014, 07:47 PM
Welcome aboard mate...... Huge ks indeed

Sherro
24th October 2014, 08:19 PM
G'day Janado welcome to the forum mate.

MEGOMONSTER
24th October 2014, 09:55 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Janado
25th October 2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

I forgot to say it's a 3.3 NA diesel engine, hence the high ks and still going strong. The LWB is quite rare here in
Portugal, so finding parts is a struggle.

As its old, the bearing in the gearbox is already whining. Can't remember the correct term in English, but it's the tipical gearbox problem these Nissan have.

My mechanic is quoting 200€ to swap the bearing, about 280 of your dollars... Is that a reasonable price over there?

threedogs
25th October 2014, 07:15 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum, jump in anytime and enjoy

93patrol
25th October 2014, 07:18 AM
that is a good price for a bearing mate.

also welcome to the forum heaps of info and great bunch of guys

my third 256
25th October 2014, 08:26 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

TazManiac
25th October 2014, 03:43 PM
From one new member to another, welcome. Hope to get more involved myself.

Sounds like it already has outlasted most other vehicles. There can't be too many around with 1.5 million km on them and still working.

Dhuck
26th October 2014, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

snorkelpatrol
9th November 2014, 11:36 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. It's a very usefull information base
Go Patrol
Patrol=Control
Mick