PDA

View Full Version : Not your usual Nissan fan

De Ranged
22nd October 2014, 07:48 PM
Gidday

Had this site recommended to me by some of my Patrol mates that it would be a good help for one of my current projects
Been reading a bit and noticed a few posts suggesting new posters do an intro, so here I am

My name is Reece, guess you could say I'm a pretty serious motor head.... I've modified nearly all my vehicles I've ever had lol it got bad enough that for a while I had my own custom shop... don't do commercial stuff any longer, just my own projects and the occasional bit for mates

Now I have to admit to being not much of a fan of the Patrol.... lol when you've kissed the windscreen trying snatch one you'll understand
That one issue of weight and size aside the strength and reliability is just impressive
And this is why I'm here... Came up with the idea to build up a tow/camping wagon with a bit of old school... a series IIa landrover 109 station wagon, but with a few improvements
Top of this is the motor... since I want lots of torque for towing and reliability that won't let me down in the middle of nowhere, top of my list were the TD motors was originally planing on TD27t from a mistral then a mate called me with TD42+T price was too good to refuse
So now I'm dealing with all the issues that come from fitting an engine that is too big into a space that is too small.... oh and building up a new turbo setup as the previous owner dropped it off with no turbo manifold or turbo lol
Not stressed on sorting these issues lol I've already built one turbo manifold for one of my Patrol mates (to his spec's) but if I'm doing this for myself I'd like to know what works first lol

Clunk
22nd October 2014, 08:11 PM
G'day Reece, welcome aboard mate. Looks like you've got a hell of a project on your hands

MEGOMONSTER
22nd October 2014, 11:06 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

De Ranged
23rd October 2014, 04:07 AM
lol the patrol motor and box is just the tip of the iceburg so to speak..... at the moment its pretty much a chassis with bits sitting in it as I reinforce it to take the change in suspension and the greater weight of the TD42 and auto

Megomonster your not a saleman by chance lol, when I normally join a site that has helped me out I try to give them some tech as a way of thanks.... now I'm sort of at a bit of a loss as all the work I've done on Patrols has been bar work and armor or bolt on suspension stuff.... not really tech lol
But if there are any "radical" builds on here I maybe able to offer some advice
My other toy is a SIII landrover 90, that is getting chopped lol for new suspension up front
Custom made axle tubes with a combination of hilux and cruiser inner axles and diffs etc, vented custom modified disk brakes,1/4 eliptical leaf suspension on the rear (and the front when I finish this one) VP commy motor and auto to a custom mounted range rover transfercase (so I can add a mid mount pto) got a skyline turbo to biff on the motor at some stage, all this in a custom body..... the only standard bits of the landy left are the roof, back of the cab and the windscreen lol

As for my questions lol I'll try the search first.... and go from there I'm wanting this truck strong and reliable, got a bit of a pipe dream about chucking it in a container and shipping it over your way for a bit of a trip around...

my third 256
23rd October 2014, 05:19 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

Dhuck
23rd October 2014, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

threedogs
23rd October 2014, 09:15 AM
Hi Reece and welcome to the forum, a few years ago a guy built a 110 defender
with a toyota TD6 cyl diesel engine and running on Patrol diffs and axles or Dana.
Mix and match but in the end a very capable truck

Stropp
23rd October 2014, 01:18 PM
gday reece and welcome to the forum, as clunk said what a project, better you than me :) goodluck mate and keep us informed with how you go.

Majestic
23rd October 2014, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the site mate. :D

krbrooking
23rd October 2014, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, by the sounds of it you don't do things by halves. Best of luck with the build.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

Sherro
24th October 2014, 06:54 AM
G'day Reece welcome to the forum mate.

TazManiac
25th October 2014, 03:35 PM
From one new member to another, welcome. Hope to get more involved myself.

A massive project on the horizon but sounds like you have the experience and knowledge to get through it.

De Ranged
26th October 2014, 08:38 AM
Lol I'm not the normal builder, my mates give me crap because for the majority of the time I don't have running trucks... when I was a young man my old man told me (lol you could make a song with that line) but he caught me about to throw the toys out of the cott while I was working on a boy racer car (RX3) things weren't going right and I was in a foul mood.... he said to me "building something is a journey, if you don't enjoy it why do it... work the overtime and pay someone to do, they will do it faster and most likely better... and you have what you want"
At the time all I could think of was proving the old bastard wrong lol it took more than a few yrs before I realized what he meant and that the journey of taking something and changing it, improving it was more fun than having the toy at the end
The worst of this was a hilux I built 5 times.... it never left the shed untill I parted it out when I lost interest in it lol its why I started doing it commercially
Now I'm designing suspension at a level I can't get answers from books or from the few knowledgeable people I've bumped into in real life and the net so I have to finish the toys to see how they perform lol
All that aside as big as this project is its a simple one.... the suspension is pretty much cut and paste from the donor disco chassis, the rear axle is a little bit of funky to make a center mount Salsbury diff and thats all due to how long the motor and box is lol that is one I didn't see coming.... I'm building a lwb chassis and due to the length of a patrol motor and auto box I have rear drive shaft issues lol and thats doing all the mods short of rear mount rad to get the motor as far forward as possible!
Body mods are all simple-ish the only funky bit is the fact its alloy
Didn't really come on here to say all that lol I actually came on to say how surprised and impressed I am with this site

I've been on 4wd forums for yrs and this site has to be the friendly'st, politest one I've come across 2 pages on a intro wow... and in all the reading I've done so far I haven't seen any examples of ego's clashing lol, ..... its surprisingly good, what the mods and the supporters of this site have achieved.... keep up the impressive effort