PDA

View Full Version : Where to run spare wheel light cable.

Remdogg
22nd October 2014, 06:14 PM
I want to install a spare wheel light just wondering where anyone else has run the cable. Hoping not to drill any holes.

Bloodyaussie
22nd October 2014, 06:21 PM
Sorry I drilled... no issues with it.

Not sure what others have done.

liftlid
22nd October 2014, 06:47 PM
Drilled hole to line up with post can't see cable.

threedogs
22nd October 2014, 07:06 PM
you can drill a small hole behind the wheel bracket on the door and fit a rubber grommet,
very small hole only 3/16th max from memory

Remdogg
22nd October 2014, 10:18 PM
Cheers for the replies I'll get the drill out tomorrow. Should I put something on the bare metal to stop it rusting.

megatexture
23rd October 2014, 09:19 AM
I've run my wires through the windscreen wiper rubber and had no issues but if drilling Yes just touch it up with some paint after drilling

threedogs
23rd October 2014, 09:40 AM
Cheers for the replies I'll get the drill out tomorrow. Should I put something on the bare metal to stop it rusting.

always treat any bare metal surface ,a dab of touch up paint would work

Hodge
23rd October 2014, 09:53 AM
I have seen a few people drill a hole through the actual bolt length-wise that holds brackets to the door, which avoids drilling through the body metal.
Hole just big enough to fit the small wires through.

Hodge
23rd October 2014, 09:56 AM
Or better, if you can find some hollow mounting bolts to suit the size, would be perfect.

mudski
23rd October 2014, 10:35 AM
As Gary said. I just drilled a small hole behind the bracket, threw in a rubber grommet and some black windscreen silastic just to be sure.

threedogs
23rd October 2014, 01:34 PM
Or better, if you can find some hollow mounting bolts to suit the size, would be perfect.

What a great idea, just need a smear of silastic or similar.
surprised all the Guru's that have worked on my Patrols never thought of that,
seeing I have a no drill policy, or did have lol

Bolt size for the rear wheel bracket is 10mm x 1.25 x 30mm long zinc plated

Drewboyaus
23rd October 2014, 02:29 PM
No drilling here! Ran mine from the engine bay in loom tube, along the chassis rail, around the wheel arch and up between the body and the bumper. A few adhesive backed cable tie mounts on the door and you're done......piece of cake, no holes.

bindi
31st October 2014, 09:47 PM
you can drill a small hole behind the wheel bracket on the door and fit a rubber grommet,
very small hole only 3/16th max from memory

you don't need to drill metal, just drill a 3/16 (or 4.5mm) hole in the underside of the plastic hinge cover. It pops off easy enough and you won't even see the hole. I threaded my power cable through the mount tube, out the bottom and it it hides behind the wheel, goes through the small hole in the plastic hinge cover, threads through the harness rubber (along with rest of wires) and then just ran the cable under the carpet to the front for power, with a neat little round switch on the middle console. Easy!

I hate drilling metal, it's just bad!