PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into the scene

odd13
20th October 2014, 09:46 PM
Hello all,

Very new here (also to 4wding) and I will be scouring the sales for a Patrol in the next 6 months. Hopefully picking up a good deal. Never 4wd before but I've been out with a friend twice and as a current owner of an xtrail I've decided to head the GQ/GU road for the 4wd car. Keep the xtrail for the family.

I like the style of the GQ but I'm not so mechanically minded when it comes to cars (been I.T. geek my whole life) and need to learn a lot. So maybe a better choice would be a GU being a little newer... but then that's more money. Anyway we will see.

Hopefully 12 months and I can post my first trip!!

Avo
20th October 2014, 09:59 PM
welcome to the forum mate,you'll do fine with either car..research is the best thing before buying.so enjoy all the info we share.

growler2058
20th October 2014, 10:00 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard. Heading down the right path looking for a Patrol for your 1st 4wd that's for sure

Clunk
20th October 2014, 10:16 PM
Welcome aboard mate, I also used to have an XTrail, quite a capable little car really but sold it and bought a GQ..... and never looked back. Get as much info as you can, be patient and have your money ready for when you find what you're looking for.

tikashooter
20th October 2014, 10:28 PM
G'day welcome to the forum, heaps of advice, help and info here. Just ask and someone will have an answer.
Hope you find a patrol soon. Cheers

odd13
20th October 2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks everyone!!
Just started reading about builds everyone has done... Wow theres a lot of knowledgeable people here!! Might have to hire some of you for your skills.

RubberDuckieGQ
20th October 2014, 11:32 PM
Welcome to the forum! How exciting :)
Have you got a budget sorted? There are lots of good tips about how much to spend vs. how much to keep aside for mods

MEGOMONSTER
21st October 2014, 05:41 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

my third 256
21st October 2014, 07:58 AM
G,day mate welcome to the forum

AB
21st October 2014, 08:10 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Dhuck
21st October 2014, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

threedogs
21st October 2014, 08:46 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum, enjoy

odd13
21st October 2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks again.

RubberDuckieGQ: My budget at the moment is probably about $15k. This looks to be enough to get me into trouble. I am still halfway between getting an old one and learning or getting something pre-built and ready to drive... learning would mean I would buy something for $5K and $10k to fix I guess... Learning would also mean a year or two after the purchase before I start to get into the heaving driving... hmmmm choices.

Recommendations at this early stage?

Stropp
21st October 2014, 12:58 PM
hi and welcome to the forum mate, plenty to look forward to and decisions to make

Sherro
24th October 2014, 07:14 AM
G'day mate welcome to the forum.

RubberDuckieGQ
24th October 2014, 07:18 AM
@odd13, 15k is a good budget, you should be able to do plenty with that for now!

My budget was 9-10k; spent 5.5 on the GQ and the rest on fixing mechanical issues (mostly dual fuel related, I reckon stay away from lpg conversions if you can) and added a lift and 33" tyres recently

Need to save up for a steel bar & winch but we always go out in a group and have snatch straps etc

BigRAWesty
24th October 2014, 03:27 PM
Welcome mate. If your happy with a gq I'd say hunt for a td42 for a few reasons.
First is reliability.
Secondly they run themselves, just add fuel and air and your off. So if you have an electrical issue you can still get home.
Third is simplicity. As before they run themselves so they really don't have much in them.

If you want more comfort then a gu is for you but be aware of the gu 3ltr diesels up until 07 when they went to a common rail injection setup.

But whatever you find bounce it of the forum. We all here to aid fellow off roaders. Jump in and enjoy

my third 256
25th October 2014, 09:34 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

TazManiac
25th October 2014, 02:36 PM
Hey mate. I'm brand new too. Looking to buy my gu patrol on Monday if the test drive goes well. Haven't 4x4 before either but can't wait to take the family on a few day trips before the end of the year.