PDA

View Full Version : irrigation pumping question

Maxhead
20th October 2014, 07:26 PM
Far out, it seems I should be posting this on a different forum but with so many knowledgeable folk here I couldn't resist.LOL

Ok, scenario is: I have to pump water about 150m away from the creek and around 30m up hill.

I have a Honda /Daishin pump with specs of:

Suction Head - 8m
Total head - 50m
Capacity - 400liters/minute
Motor - Honda GX160 5.5HP
Inlet and outlet are 2 inch

I have a 6 meter 2" suction hose but need to know what diameter pipe I need for outlet side??

I've been told various different stories so I thought I would ask as I don't want to fork out $$$$ for the wrong size pipe and kill the pump

Clunk
20th October 2014, 07:38 PM
one inch.......

oh yeah forgot to mention, that's what my old man uses for drip fed irrigation on his citrus orchard

Sir Roofy
20th October 2014, 07:55 PM
Far out, it seems I should be posting this on a different forum but with so many knowledgeable folk here I couldn't resist.LOL

Ok, scenario is: I have to pump water about 150m away from the creek and around 30m up hill.

I have a Honda /Daishin pump with specs of:

Suction Head - 8m
Total head - 50m
Capacity - 400liters/minute
Motor - Honda GX160 5.5HP
Inlet and outlet are 2 inch

I have a 6 meter 2" suction hose but need to know what diameter pipe I need for outlet side??

I've been told various different stories so I thought I would ask as I don't want to fork out $$$$ for the wrong size pipe and kill the pump

there she blows matey 2"

Cuppa
20th October 2014, 07:59 PM
I don’t think you need to worry too much about killing the pump. The main issue is smaller pipe =greater friction=less head/less litres per minute.

I’d go with 1.5” but would consider 2” if a higher flow rate was important. Rural polypipe is the most economic option. If bushfire is a risk bury it. I reckon with that type of pump & a 30m head a 1” pipe might be too restrictive.

I have used the same pump for both water transfer & as a firefighter. When used for water transfer the outlet was 1.5” When used as a firefighter the outlet pipe 1” & the nozzle restricted it still further., & restricted it totally when the nozzle was shut. Didn’t do the pump any harm.

Clunk
20th October 2014, 08:01 PM
I don’t think you need to worry too much about killing the pump. The main issue is smaller pipe =greater friction=less head/less litres per minute.

I’d go with 1.5” but would consider 2” if a higher flow rate was important. Rural polypipe is the most economic option. If bushfire is a risk bury it. I reckon with that type of pump & a 30m head a 1” pipe might be too restrictive.

I have used the same pump for both water transfer & as a firefighter. When used for water transfer the outlet was 1.5” When used as a firefighter the outlet pipe 1” & the nozzle restricted it still further., & restricted it totally when the nozzle was shut. Didn’t do the pump any harm.

and Cuppa likes the answer so much he posted it twice just in case Kris dodnt see the first time round lol

Cuppa
20th October 2014, 08:02 PM
and Cuppa likes the answer so much he posted it twice just in case Kris dodnt see the first time round lol

Yeah but then I deleted one of ‘em ‘cos I realised I’d stuffed up when adding a bit more to my original reply.

AB
20th October 2014, 08:03 PM
Hey mate, 400 litres a minute on 5.5hp, is that correct?

I would suggest if pump has 2" inlet and 2" outlet then use 2" seems strange though usually inlet is larger than outlet, you could easily add an adjustable nozzle to end of 2" outlet hose to increase pressure resistance.

Never heard of a 5.5hp Honda doing 400L minute, my brother has a Harland monster and it only does 100,000L per hour that equates to 1,666L per minute on a 50hp pump. I think safest to visit irrigation mob firstly as you'll get loads of advise and I don't want to puk your pump...lol

Maxhead
20th October 2014, 08:17 PM
Hey mate, 400 litres a minute on 5.5hp, is that correct?

I would suggest if pump has 2" inlet and 2" outlet then use 2" seems strange though usually inlet is larger than outlet, you could easily add an adjustable nozzle to end of 2" outlet hose to increase pressure resistance.

Never heard of a 5.5hp Honda doing 400L minute, my brother has a Harland monster and it only does 100,000L per hour that equates to 1,666L per minute on a 50hp pump. I think safest to visit irrigation mob firstly as you'll get loads of advise and I don't want to puk your pump...lol

Yeah, These are supposed to be high head pumps for fire fighting and irrigation .My model is SCH5050...Still in the box...LOL
The water flow will reduce with the height you are pumping as per the diagram.

I'm thinking of going with 1.5" or 1.75"inch to get a bit of pressure but still reading...LOL

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50561&stc=1

Avo
22nd October 2014, 09:07 AM
emailed my boss about this question...here's the answer....

I don’t think it would really matter. if he puts a tap on the end so he can restrict it. I would say 1’1/4 or 1’3/4,

hope that helps a bit..

Maxhead
22nd October 2014, 10:26 AM
emailed my boss about this question...here's the answer....

I don’t think it would really matter. if he puts a tap on the end so he can restrict it. I would say 1’1/4 or 1’3/4,

hope that helps a bit..

Cheers mate.

I spoke to a irrigation shop and they reckon I could go anything from 1 to 2 inches. I'll probably go with a 1'1/4 or 1'1/5 as the 2" is bloody expensive

Sir Roofy
22nd October 2014, 04:05 PM
I know theres not many dairys around your way but what about a wash down hose with adjustable nozzle
2"poly under ground to the hut then your hose on to that

Maxhead
22nd October 2014, 05:51 PM
I know theres not many dairys around your way but what about a wash down hose with adjustable nozzle
2"poly under ground to the hut then your hose on to that

Yeah, thats the plan. Poly from creek to the shack and then something smaller at the end,
I'm going to use blueline pipe, bit of an overkill as it's designed for mains pressure but I reckon it will be stronger and last longer...

At the shack end I'll use a fire hose which I can get for around 50 bucks for 36 meters on gumtree occasionally .

This type of thing
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50642&stc=1

It will only be used to fill tanks and run sprinkles in summer to keep the shack area green :)

Sir Roofy
22nd October 2014, 08:22 PM
yeah, thats the plan. Poly from creek to the shack and then something smaller at the end,
i'm going to use blueline pipe, bit of an overkill as it's designed for mains pressure but i reckon it will be stronger and last longer...

At the shack end i'll use a fire hose which i can get for around 50 bucks for 36 meters on gumtree occasionally .

This type of thing
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50642&stc=1

it will only be used to fill tanks and run sprinkles in summer to keep the shack area green :)

thats the go now your cooking with water

matfew
22nd October 2014, 08:37 PM
pretty much what I got at home mate.

my fire trailor is a 5.5 hp motor and pump. can't remember exact specs of pump though.

I have 2x 1" houses for fire fighting and 2" inlet. also have another 2" outlet I use for transfer between tanks. at full noise it does 1000ltrs in maybe 4 or so minutes. I'll time it this weekend if you want.

I also have the 6.5hp model on the house fire system running a 2" main to sprinkler heads and 1"outlets on them all as well. I've also ran a garden hose with spinkler off the 1" outlet for some hrs with the pump low to mid Rev range. only issue I have had with either pumps is fouling spark plug if left to idle for long time. easy to sort out open the throttle n work it hard for a min

you won't bugger these pumps unless you run them dry. the seal just has to be wet. I've had the fire pump run for 10 mins before with the nozzle closed so no flow at all. j was on the phone to darren actually lol. but yeah as long as water in it its fine.

as for size I not sure on pricing but I would of thought 2" would be the normal size for ag so be cheapest and easily available.

1.5" maybe next then 1. I don't 1.25 or 1.75 would be really available around there.