PDA

View Full Version : Reversing camera

kevin07
19th October 2014, 10:35 PM
im about to order a kokoda battalion caravan and I want to fit a reverse camera to it, whilst its getting built I will be supplying it. so my question is what is a good camera as I have no clue. thanks kev

mudski
20th October 2014, 12:11 PM
Kevin I can only talk about what l have so take it with a grain of salt. Mine is a simple Ebay job. Cost around 20 bux. it works well. Clear vision but has no night vision. But I have a bright reverse light so it doesn't matter.
Look for something with a wide view and night vision and you'll be set.
Do you need a screen too or just the camera?

BillsGU
20th October 2014, 01:44 PM
The one on my caravan is a rear view camera rather than a reversing camera - it is on all the time. This works really well and I get the feeling sometimes that the van is not even there because as I look up at my mirror (which is also my monitor) I see the same view with or without the caravan attached. I have played around with different cameras over the last couple of years and I found the cheapies have two main faults. Firstly they eventually let in moisture and secondly their angle of view is too wide for a rear view camera. The traffic behind you looks to be too far away.

The camera I have now has a 30 degree viewing angle - which is close to what you see in a rear view mirror, and it is rated to IP 68 - which means it will work under water. So far it works really well.

If I had to do it all again I would install two cameras, a wide view for reversing and hooking up and a narrow view for rear vision. Most monitors have more that one switchable input so you can switch between the two. You can buy them mounted in one housing. They are not cheap - but they are worth the money.

Also, make sure you buy good quality cabling that goes from your dash, to the rear of the car, then with connectors to the caravan and then to the camera. Cheap cable and connectors will let in dust and water and give you no end of problems.

Cuppa
20th October 2014, 03:41 PM
Having now had several reversing/rear vision cameras I very much agree with what BillsGU has told you. The narrow angle with give you much better depth of field, allowing you to see vehicles coming from much further away. If you were to use a wide angle camera for driving you could be in for some unpleasnt surprises when vehicles approaching from behind suddenly appear ‘out of nowhere’ right up your klacker. I would have loved to have got a narrower angle than my 60 degree one, but it was the narrowest I could find at the time.

BillsGU I would be interested where you managed to get a 30 degree one & at what cost? Would be good to know in case I need to replace mine at some stage.

I have dual wide & narrow(ish) angle cameras, but find I never use the wide angle one.

I should add that whilst I would not want to be without my camera for driving, I do drive primarily on the side mirrors. When out of town I most often locate vehicles approaching from behind in the mirrors first & then monitor them via the camera. In town with closer traffic the camera is invaluable. The 60 degree angle camera is also good for reversing.

My dual camera’s were around $100, but the seller no longer has them.
The monitor is an ebay one which fits over the original rear vision mirror. I find this most suitable.

Two different types of cameras. CMOS & CCD. This relates to the type of sensor they have. Go for CCD, I’ve had both & the quality difference of the images is chalk & cheese. CCD costs more but is definitely worth it. Also bigger sensors are better than smaller sensors.

the evil twin
20th October 2014, 03:45 PM
What Cuppa and Bill said x 2

You kinda need to decide if you want rear view or reversing as the field of view is markedly different.

IMHO anything wider than 60 degree on the back of a van is a PIA.
Over 60 up to 120 degrees works OK on a vehicle but it is a different perspective (excuse the pun).

On a Van you are trying to actually see what is back there in a more normal sense and from higher up/further away and the fish eye effect is crap.

On a Car you are trying to fill in the close up dead spots usually from a very low angle and the fish eye distortion isn't a big issue

BillsGU
20th October 2014, 04:14 PM
This is where I bought my camera Cuppa. They sell top of the line security equipment.

http://www.nassecurity.com.au/

Cuppa
20th October 2014, 09:12 PM
This is where I bought my camera Cuppa. They sell top of the line security equipment.

http://www.nassecurity.com.au/

Thanks BillsGU, that’s a good find. & not a bad price either.
http://www.nassecurity.com.au/30-degree.html

kevin07
20th October 2014, 11:39 PM
ok thanks guys could you throw a few brand names up please, I just need a reversing camera im good with the mirrors as ive been driving trucks and buses all my life. I have so far a factory reverse camera on the troll. thanks kev

Cuppa
21st October 2014, 03:52 PM
I think this is one area where paying more for brand name appliances isn’t likely to get you extra value. So much so that I don’t know of any Brand names for cameras or monitors. However Sony & Sharp sensors are good. If not keen on ebay which I would consider the best bet particularly for a reversing only camera the link that BillsGU came with his recommendation & looks worthwhile. If you go CCD with a ⅓” sensor you should be good. A touch screen will likely be less prone to vibration damage over time.

Buying a complete set up (Camera/cable/monitor) may save any hassle with ensuring you have compatible connectors but most sellers will have the right cables if you buy components separately. More often the extra cost for a complete set up over buying separates is just for the convenience factor.

Oh yes, I don’t think this has been mentioned yet ....... everyone I know who has bought wireless camera set ups have been disappointed with them. Wired, although taking a bit more installation effort are more reliable.

Evo
21st October 2014, 04:34 PM
I bought my camera and screen from Repco, $79 on sale.
All plug and play, also has second input in screen for second camera.
Mine is primarily for reversing, but for the price is pretty good.
Has night vision also.

Evo

BillsGU
22nd October 2014, 02:35 PM
Oh yes, I don’t think this has been mentioned yet ....... everyone I know who has bought wireless camera set ups have been disappointed with them. Wired, although taking a bit more installation effort are more reliable.

I have one sitting in the shed somewhere if anyone wants the useless bit of crap! It was supposed to work over a distance of 80 metres but failed to work over a distance of 8 metres!

Bloodyaussie
22nd October 2014, 02:39 PM
I have a wireless camera as it came with a GPS and is very average at best.

I will be hard wiring it and replacing with better camera.

BillsGU
22nd October 2014, 02:41 PM
I bought my camera and screen from Repco, $79 on sale.
All plug and play, also has second input in screen for second camera.
Mine is primarily for reversing, but for the price is pretty good.
Has night vision also.

Evo

I have tried to keep my dash wire and clutter free. Thats why I have a replacement rear view mirror (not a clip on as they are too heavy and the mirror moves down - especially off road) with built in monitor and a double din set up with on and off road GPS software etc. I even have a UHF with a remote head to keep things tidy. When I purchased the Patrol some years ago I decided I did not want the spider web of cables and crap I had in the previous 4by.

Sharky1
22nd October 2014, 03:40 PM
I just bought a Swann security system for my home. It has 12V HD colour camera's with infrared night vision which will display colour if the visible area is artificially lit. They're about $160 & weather proof so I bought an extra one for the car/camper. I already have a screen with 2 RCA inputs & these cameras have an RCA output with 18M extension which you can also buy separately. You just need to make sure the power supply meets same amperage requirements which isn't hard. In my case I have an inverter so I'll just use the transformer they supply for it. There's very little wiring involved. It's basically concealing the cables & plug them in. They have a 60deg lens angle which is plenty for this application. I also have a black & white camera with an 85deg angle & it's too much. You can have the camera on constantly or you could easily add a switch into the positive power wire to the camera which, if you wanted to could be taken from your reverse sensor on your gearbox. I have mine on a switch in the dash but when travelling with the camper trailer I have it turned on whilst driving as it replaces the rear view mirror very well. The only downside is they're not very small & therefore not easily concealed if fitting to a car but on a caravan this wouldn't be such an issue.

kevin07
23rd October 2014, 08:54 AM
I think this is one area where paying more for brand name appliances isn’t likely to get you extra value. So much so that I don’t know of any Brand names for cameras or monitors. However Sony & Sharp sensors are good. If not keen on ebay which I would consider the best bet particularly for a reversing only camera the link that BillsGU came with his recommendation & looks worthwhile. If you go CCD with a ⅓” sensor you should be good. A touch screen will likely be less prone to vibration damage over time.

Buying a complete set up (Camera/cable/monitor) may save any hassle with ensuring you have compatible connectors but most sellers will have the right cables if you buy components separately. More often the extra cost for a complete set up over buying separates is just for the convenience factor.

yes thanks cuppa definitely not going wireless have read that one

threedogs
23rd October 2014, 10:08 AM
I've tried those rear vision mirror style reverse cameras, TBH just from the sheer weight of it I was forever readjusting it.
I would not like to see how they go day in day out on a rough road, Not for me,
I think 4 sensors might work better unless you really need to see behind you .

BillsGU
23rd October 2014, 01:47 PM
I've tried those rear vision mirror style reverse cameras, TBH just from the sheer weight of it I was forever readjusting it.
I would not like to see how they go day in day out on a rough road, Not for me,
I think 4 sensors might work better unless you really need to see behind you .

The mirror I picked up is not a clip on - its a replacement. As well as the built in monitor it also has a forward looking camera that records on to a SD card, with a G sensor that locks the video file in case of an accident. Very neat and clutter free with one small cable that I have run under the roof lining.

As far as rear vision goes when travelling with a big caravan - those that say it isn't necessary either have ESP or they don't really tow a big caravan! You just can't get too much rear vision when towing IMHO.