PDA

View Full Version : Better performance by Advancing the Timing and Slightly Increasing Air/Fuel Ratio

Zhing1
18th October 2014, 06:53 PM
Back in the day. I would advance the ignition timing and increase the air/fuel mixture (enrich) to get better performance from my car. I was thinking of doing this to my GU with a TB45 Autotrans. The stock timing is 5° and I plan to adjust it a step up like 6°. Will do the same with the Air/Fuel Ratio. Has anyone done this? What are your thoughts on this?

mjr350
18th October 2014, 08:01 PM
Back in the day. I would advance the ignition timing and increase the air/fuel mixture (enrich) to get better performance from my car. I was thinking of doing this to my GU with a TB45 Autotrans. The stock timing is 5° and I plan to adjust it a step up like 6°. Will do the same with the Air/Fuel Ratio. Has anyone done this? What are your thoughts on this?

Is there a way to adjust the a/f ratio without tuning through the ecu. Im new to the tb45 fresh out of an LS1 commodore thats totally ecu controlled.

Zhing1
18th October 2014, 08:34 PM
The settings adjustments will done via the ecu. I know someone at the Nissan dealership here who says he make the adjustments.

jff45
18th October 2014, 09:09 PM
There's nothing you can adjust in the ECU. You could introduce changes to the MAF voltages but that will induce possibly unwanted timing changes.
You could also fit an adjustable fuel regulator and increase the pressure but this is all playing around the edges and is unlikely to produce any real noticeable result.

mjr350
23rd October 2014, 09:42 PM
So I gather the ecu isn't flash tunable like the later model commodores are. What about replacement memcals if someone has the correct definition files. How does it work for the tb45 turbo guys. Piggyback?

Drewboyaus
24th October 2014, 06:24 AM
A piggyback board like Nisstune is required to tune the TB42e, I can only assume it's a similar story with the TB45. They're about $800 fitted and tuned as I remember.....at least that's for the TB42....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

threedogs
24th October 2014, 07:08 AM
Might be better off fitting a larger exhaust for a performance gain

jff45
24th October 2014, 08:21 AM
So I gather the ecu isn't flash tunable like the later model commodores are. What about replacement memcals if someone has the correct definition files. How does it work for the tb45 turbo guys. Piggyback?

I currently have an Xede piggyback for my N/A setup and I plan to keep it to manage my turbo as well.

The biggest improvement over stock will come from extractors and good exhaust - I use 2.5". Another slight increase can be gained by an engine management system - either piggyback or replacement ECU - but here you start to hit the law of diminishing returns. The investment increases while the results get smaller..
If it's an auto, some gains can also be had by fitting a shift kit or replacement modded valve body which reduce slippage.

The biggest increase is by forced induction but you need to think that through and set sensible goals according to your budget. It can quickly become a money pit if you get too ambitious and don't get it right..

mudski
24th October 2014, 08:37 AM
You have a Patrol. Its a money pit anyway. I would go to a workshop who has a 4wd dyno and does this stuff for a living before attempting anything. Last thing you want is to stuff something up.
A snippit from Nistune website. Albeit from 2010 they might have something now, or atleast point you in the right direction....

More supported ECUs added
3rd of November, 2010

Added Y60 Patrol (TB42E) and Q45 Infiniti (VH45DE) 1990-1992 models to the Type 2 listing

Note that we do not support TB45DE ECUs as these do not facilitate a daughterboard

threedogs
24th October 2014, 11:30 AM
Have a read of jff45's thread, food for thought