PDA

View Full Version : 2009 CRD Fuel Consumption

apalsson
18th October 2014, 06:54 AM
Nissan Heads and other experts :)
I have been wondering what is acceptable fuel consumption for the 2009CRD
My old 2001 Di used to use around 11.5 - 12L/100Km and when I was towing my old Ultimate Offroad Camper (outback), I was using some 14 - 14.5L/100Km
The old girl was lifted 2" and on 285/75R16 and had a roofrack on.

My 2009CRD is also lifted 2" and on 285/70R17 and has a roofrack on. On open highway, I seem to be using some 12 - 12.5L/100Km and in a recent trip through Lightning Ridge, Bourke and out that way, I was using up close to 20L/100Km towing a 1500Kg Jayco StarCraft Outback Poptop.
I also noticed after a recent 60,000Km service, she blew a bit more black smoke than I was used to, especially on takeoff and heavy acceleration.

Is this normal consumption for a CRD?
If not, where would I start trying to reduce it a bit

Many thanks

Ari

megatexture
18th October 2014, 08:21 AM
Auto or man?
Mines an 09 auto with roofrack, sliders, bull bar, rear bar Cargo barrier and Steinbauer mod I get about 14ltrs
On stock tyres and about 15-16 ltrs on 33's. When towing out camper we get around 18 ltrs on stock tyres and 20 on 33s our camper is only around a ton and is probably a bit more streamline than your caravan.

Ours has blown a bit of soot from new and more so if I have the steinbauer chip turned up too high.

apalsson
18th October 2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks mate, mine is a manual
Looks like my consumption is comparable to yours in many ways then. Effectively I'm on 33s and there is a fair bit of added weight there. I also recall from my old Di that the roofrack probably cost me 0.5 - 1L/100Km
The soot isn't heavy black smoke but still a bit noticeable on takeoff and accelerating.
Because I have Nissan warranty on the car, I was hesitant to chip it. The warranty runs out in May and I am going to use the time to research good chips for this engine. I used to have a dTronic in my old Di and was quite happy with that
The warranty is also the reason I have done nothing about EGR blocks etc etc

Hodge
18th October 2014, 09:09 AM
I have an 09, and mine is more or less the same as megatextures. 12-13 on the highway, but when under load, for example fully loaded up with camping gear it shoots up to 17-18 easily. Recent high country trip showed that.
I don't tow, so I don't know how it would run towing campers etc...
I run 33's full time, 2.75 exhaust and car is chipped with a unichip, dynoed to the car, EGR blocked, bigger I/C etc...

Mine has stopped blowing soot, a while ago. I cannot remember what was done to the car to make that happen. Mine used to blow soot by just starting her up.

megatexture
18th October 2014, 09:10 AM
I went the steinbauer partly because it can be removed in 10 mins for services as mine was also under warranty, what warranty has your car got on it?

apalsson
18th October 2014, 09:15 AM
I went the steinbauer partly because it can be removed in 10 mins for services as mine was also under warranty, what warranty has your car got on it?
It looks like the previous owner had bought Nissan's "Extra Drive, Extra Time" or whatever they call it these days
The local dealer saw it attached to the VIN number in his 'puter when they did service for me.
Apparently, it is valid till May 2015 or 100k whichever comes first. I am now at 62k and don't do a lot of mileage so the date will come first (unless I win the Lottery and can stop work and hit the road big time :) )

firm351
18th October 2014, 12:34 PM
I did a 10000km trip last Christmas time, 33's, 3" exhaust, DPchip, fully loaded with the roof rack loaded up aswell, not towing and I got 15.1l/100 for the trip. Unloaded around town and highway driving I get 13-14l/100.

happygu
18th October 2014, 01:07 PM
Consumption seems pretty good to me.

Mine is around 13.3 litres per hundred just driving around, and I feel that the CRD has a little less top end power than the Di, so I would expect it to use a little more towing.

I am more than happy with this fuel consumption considering the weight I have onboard

Mic

apalsson
18th October 2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Mic,

You are right on both counts. The top end power is definitely less and I guess I also got used to my old chipped Di so in comparison, this one is a tad heavier. But the takeoff in the CRD is definitely better

kevin07
18th October 2014, 06:26 PM
block your egr the black will stop.

Dave_H
19th October 2014, 05:20 AM
Seems about right to me. Mine is completely stock (auto) apart from 2" lift and i get 12.5-13's although i use to get 14-15's before i started using the 2 stroke oil and K & N air filter.

apalsson
19th October 2014, 05:28 AM
Hi Dave, thanks mate
can you please elaborate a bit on the "2 stroke oil "

Dave_H
19th October 2014, 06:37 AM
There is some info on here mate http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2416-DIESEL-FUEL-2T-OIL-Superb-performance
but the best one i've read is here http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=76845

66 pages long and it's a great read.

Beni C
20th October 2014, 05:39 PM
08 auto CRD, on 33"s with a few bits and pieces, 16ltr on a good day unladen, 18-20ltr with all the camping gear loaded up!

Maxhead
20th October 2014, 05:48 PM
08 auto CRD, on 33"s with a few bits and pieces, 16ltr on a good day unladen, 18-20ltr with all the camping gear loaded up!

WOW, they are crazy figures. I get 19-20l towing a 2.7T caravan. Everything else sees 12-13l with 33's front and rear steel bar, winch, scrub bars, side steps, etc, etc

growler2058
20th October 2014, 05:51 PM
08 CRD 145k (auto) on clock got 14.5 per 100 city driving 95% one trip up the freeway a/c pretty well on all the time and a hour sand driving in H4

Edit: pre lift and KM2 285/75

megatexture
20th October 2014, 11:58 PM
block your egr the black will stop.
I don't see how that's the case. It's basically unburnt fuel if I crank the chip up and floor it with the camper in tow you can see and smell diesel on the stone guard along with soot but that's maxing the chip

kevin07
21st October 2014, 07:24 AM
I don't see how that's the case. It's basically unburnt fuel if I crank the chip up and floor it with the camper in tow you can see and smell diesel on the stone guard along with soot but that's maxing the chip

yes by loading up the chip you will definitely create smoke but if its smoking for no apparent reason your egr will be faulty and causing the smoke, EG my old navara brand new pump, rail and injectors was smoky blocked the egr on advice no more smoke unless I flogged it then a little bit of smoke.

kevin07
21st October 2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks mate, mine is a manual
Looks like my consumption is comparable to yours in many ways then. Effectively I'm on 33s and there is a fair bit of added weight there. I also recall from my old Di that the roofrack probably cost me 0.5 - 1L/100Km
The soot isn't heavy black smoke but still a bit noticeable on takeoff and accelerating.
Because I have Nissan warranty on the car, I was hesitant to chip it. The warranty runs out in May and I am going to use the time to research good chips for this engine. I used to have a dTronic in my old Di and was quite happy with that
The warranty is also the reason I have done nothing about EGR blocks etc etc

as you can see in my signature I have a steinbauer and I am very happy with the performance it gives, and as far as the egr block my Nissan dealer doesn't have a clue that its blocked all they say is it has some prior codes.

Beni C
21st October 2014, 01:08 PM
WOW, they are crazy figures. I get 19-20l towing a 2.7T caravan. Everything else sees 12-13l with 33's front and rear steel bar, winch, scrub bars, side steps, etc, etc

Yeah mate, she chews!! I didnt buy it for the fuel economy though!! I think the auto box makes a difference to the figures.