PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 chev detroit: turbo or supercharge?

AB
17th October 2014, 09:05 PM
My brother has the Detroit 6.5 Chevy in his gu and we are about to head over to Orlando, Florida in a few weeks for a work expo.

My brother is keen on purchasing something whilst he is over there for his patrol either turbo or supercharge system.

He has no idea what he wants to be honest but knows he is tired of the performance of the Detroit.

Whilst we are there it may be a good idea to buy something so can anyone offer any advice on which way he should go, turbo or supercharge, brands or just general advise???

If anyone knows of any places to visit in Florida that would be great too...lol

the evil twin
17th October 2014, 09:16 PM
Tell him to get the engine number etc and take that with him.
The age and version of the engine will have a lot to do with what will and won't be a good idea.

The goddams know a 1000 times more about these donks and what to tweak etc then we do
You might just need to find an older fella as the young 'uns will probably say "You have a what?"

A place to visit in Florida?... uuuuummmm... if the TV shows are anything to go by then any college campus but take your heart meds and some sunscreen for your tongue.

If you find a 40 something ex cheerleader who wants to visit OZ tell her you know of some free accomodation and I'll PM you my addy

AB
17th October 2014, 09:17 PM
Solid advice as usual ET!

Especially on the cheer leaders...lol

nissannewby
17th October 2014, 09:49 PM
Remember to keep in mind room constraints as well. With as much as the yanks know about these things and knowing how asthmatic the 6.5 is I wouldn't attach something the requires power to make it (supercharger). I would turbo it.

I nice big free flowing exhaust and nice low restriction intake will help.

Or get some duramax running gear and swap it :).

AB
17th October 2014, 09:52 PM
Remember to keep in mind room constraints as well. With as much as the yanks know about these things and knowing how asthmatic the 6.5 is I wouldn't attach something the requires power to make it (supercharger). I would turbo it.

I nice big free flowing exhaust and nice low restriction intake will help.

Or get some duramax running gear and swap it :).

We've had long discussions on the duramax...lol

Thanks matty....

AB
17th October 2014, 09:53 PM
I'm leaning towards turbo as well with the constraints of a supercharger...

nissannewby
17th October 2014, 09:54 PM
We've had long discussions on the duramax...lol

Thanks matty....

Cheap as chips over there mate.

nissannewby
17th October 2014, 09:56 PM
I'm leaning towards turbo as well with the constraints of a supercharger...

Yeah turbo tech has come along way since these engines came about and response and flows are very good these days. Especially with the chevs already low peak torque.

AB
17th October 2014, 10:28 PM
It's a torque monster his car but yeah it's ridiculously slow. Mind you, after my tune on the td42 I'm not far behind him on torque :)

nissannewby
18th October 2014, 01:23 AM
It's a torque monster his car but yeah it's ridiculously slow. Mind you, after my tune on the td42 I'm not far behind him on torque :)

Yeah they don't really compare with a well setup td42t :).

FNQGU
18th October 2014, 12:35 PM
A big free flowing exhaust isn't as easy as it sounds either. It will need to be a custom job and done by someone who knows what they are doing as it is very tight in some spots.

If you do get some good advice on the best turbo setup for these old donks it will be interesting to compare it to what Brunswick etc. are installing.

AB
18th October 2014, 03:38 PM
Ill spend the next couple of weeks trying to find some 4x4 shops or people to speak to in Orlando and hopefully find some knowledgable folk...

v502
21st October 2014, 09:44 PM
I suggest going with a turbo.