PDA

View Full Version : 99 GU 4.5 AUTO low range temps

Hilux
16th October 2014, 07:06 PM
Hi I have just got myself a 99 GU Ti 4.5 auto and I took it out 4x4ing for the 1st time today and when i was in low range uphill it seemed to heat up temp normally sits a bit under half and was getting over 1/2 almost 3/4, was cooling down quite quick when I got back on flat ground.
I'm not sure if this is normal or something I should look into. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

growler2058
16th October 2014, 07:09 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

04OFF
16th October 2014, 07:11 PM
Not normal, check your cooling fan clutch and blades.

04OFF
16th October 2014, 07:13 PM
Pop up a intro when you can too please bud.

Explain that user name (lol)

lhurley
16th October 2014, 09:01 PM
Wouldn't hurt to pull the radiator out and give it a good clean and new thermostat and coolant then re asses. I have never seen a temp rise in mine in low range, even on some absolute stinking hot days. My car is the same, 99 tb45 auto

Alitis007
16th October 2014, 09:55 PM
Sounds like my 99 Ti when it had a blocked radiator, take the radiator out and have it pulled down and the core cleaned out, take your thermostat out and inspect and test it while your waiting for the radiator to return

Hilux
16th October 2014, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys ill let you know how i go

DilboBaggins
17th October 2014, 05:00 PM
With the clutch fan, try give it a good spin and if it spins more than a full rotation get that looked at?

threedogs
17th October 2014, 06:24 PM
only use an OE thermostat.
make a point of cleaning the radiator at the car wash, don't pull the trigger [too much pressure]
concentrate mainly on the lower section, front and back

mudnut
17th October 2014, 06:29 PM
X 2 with using an OE thermostat, as I have copped a bad after market one, before. Since then, I test any new thermostat I fit, by placing it in a pot of boiling water. It doesn't take too long, for the thermostat to open.

04OFF
17th October 2014, 06:35 PM
X3 on the thermostat, I think they are about $60 for a tb45, but at least you know it works, and opens at the right temp.

jff45
17th October 2014, 07:22 PM
The most useless instrument in the Patrol has to be the temp gauge. Anything not in the red is normal.
You need to get an Ecutalk and see exactly how your engine is behaving. By the time you pay for rad clean, fan clutch & thermostat, which might or might not be necessary, you won't be far off the cost of the Ecutalk.
Get a temp gauge on your auto trans and see if you're not pumping over 100 C through the bottom of your rad in those conditions..

jay see
17th October 2014, 07:23 PM
X 2 with using an OE thermostat, as I have copped a bad after market one, before. Since then, I test any new thermostat I fit, by placing it in a pot of boiling water. It doesn't take too long, for the thermostat to open.

That's my way of checking if it's working or not.

Hilux
10th November 2014, 08:40 PM
Well after Replacing Thermostat, Water pump and Clutch Fan Turned out that it was the Radiator. The water pump had a leak im guessing the last owner put some kind of chemi-weld to stop the water pump leak and it blocked up the radiator. Now I can Low range in luxury with the aircon flat out. leave idling in 34 degrees outside and the temp hasent moved past halfway. For some reason seems to run a little cooler with Gas rather than petrol. Thanks for everyone's input im pretty sure the clutch fan was gone also but at least i have the whole cooling system done.