PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drawers final decisions

Smoothrun
16th October 2014, 08:34 AM
Ive done measurements for my rear drawers to do the cuts but theres a couple of things Id appreciate feedback on before I decide the drawer widths

1. When allowing measurements for the carpet lets say drawer fronts side by side and using marine carpet, I was going to give them a 4mm gap each all round, having said that if I was to slide the drawers in all the way raw (no carpet) there would be a total of 8mm in between the inner front left and inner front right faces, this seems right to me but interested in your thoughts based on what you expected and what you got or other ways to do it.

My theory was do a measurement of total thickness on carpet lets say marine carpet is around 5mm and reduce it x 1mm,

I am undecided as to go Marine, polypropylene (car subwoofer etc), rubberback Indoor which is stain & rot proof but sold in tiles and has an adhesive backing, all available from Bunnings, Marine just seems impossible to do the smaller bends given its strength and thickness.

2. As I'm using 12mm marine ply I have allowed 12mm recess for the middle upright (front) and left the sides flush with the top and bottom, this should marry up once I cut the facias and also the wing front panels. By doing this the drawer facias will look slightly off centre but I can centralise it by moving the T handles slightly when fitting them or should I just recess the middle and sides and flush it up when doing the side wing fronts??

3. Has anyone bought the UES Slides, I got a quote on 85kg extended for $66, looked on their website but couldnt find them for specs so a bit worried about the quality, Carac quality was good but $225 a pair, customer service there didnt bother calling me back for a shorter/lighter set (900mm), McNaughtans were fairly helpful until a past customer walked in and the salesman just walked away from me without saying anything. So as far as that goes that's my slide experience, Ive got an Engel 60litre which apparently weighs 33kg empty, Im looking at total max weight of 70kg to be safe. Any thoughts on your slides appreciated

Cheers

Dave

MudRunnerTD
16th October 2014, 09:05 AM
Are you using the Carpet as the draw slide? you'd be better off using Laminex to Laminex or similar to be honest. I think Carpet will be heavy to lug. I have only carpeted the inside surfaces of my drawers to cut down on Rattle.

When you fit the bottom in dont worry about a rebate just make the drawer shell and cut the base to fit flush within the sides and the fronts so you fix the bottom in from the sides. This is the strongest way by far.

You could consider lifting the bottom up slightly so the sides are proud and slide on the side edges? Also consider lifting the bottom of a draw up quite a bit and integrate a slide out table in the base of the drawer between the drawer sides. this way you can use the drawer when the slide out table is also in use. ;)

Crate
16th October 2014, 11:30 AM
I have UES slides, quality is fine and by far the cheapest. From memory I have 1000mm full extension 120kg slides.

BigRAWesty
16th October 2014, 01:03 PM
Hay mate. I didn't bother wrapping the doors with carpet, just painted all exposed timber black and carpeted the face.
A good contact glue and it'll never budge.
And looks good.

Smoothrun
16th October 2014, 04:15 PM
I thought of that biggqwesty, Im a methodical pr&*k and id like to have a dig at doing the entire front,base and drawer sides (Only what would be seen when opened), Ive seen a few and they look the part. Never done upholstery so I suppose my questions are more related to that effect, but heres an example of what Im hoping to achieve, As mentioned Im even considering doing the draw sides once the slides are attatched, after all it only needs 2 strips of carpet above and below the slides, mind you the painted ones look good too, just personal reference.

Rossco
16th October 2014, 07:35 PM
Hi mate, I did the same as Bigwesty, just carpeted the front and cut it flush. Worked well with good adhesive but can understand you wanting it raping it around the edge, it does look good, have seen a few like this. My advice would be to do a couple of dummy pieces once you've got the carpet. I just used the Bunning's auto carpet, which I'm happy with, think marine is probably over the top for inside the car, it is harder to work with.

I also used the UES slides (120 kg I think) and they are very good, happy with them, easy to install plus the lock out is handy.

Check out the Full Boar Fourbie drawers, they might be some good inspiration.

BigRAWesty
16th October 2014, 07:53 PM
Yea imo scrap doing the insides but wrap the edges.
Huge cost and a pita if you spill stuff in there it'll be a pain to clean.
Imo a good enamel paint in gloss. Easy to wipe out.
But I'd just measure the carpet height and allow that.
So say 5mm pile height allow a 8-10mm gap between the faces..

Smoothrun
16th October 2014, 11:12 PM
Hi mate, I did the same as Bigwesty, just carpeted the front and cut it flush. Worked well with good adhesive but can understand you wanting it raping it around the edge, it does look good, have seen a few like this. My advice would be to do a couple of dummy pieces once you've got the carpet. I just used the Bunning's auto carpet, which I'm happy with, think marine is probably over the top for inside the car, it is harder to work with.

I also used the UES slides (120 kg I think) and they are very good, happy with them, easy to install plus the lock out is handy.

Check out the Full Boar Fourbie drawers, they might be some good inspiration.

Thanks Rossco, I only wanted to use marine because I know how durable it is (had 5 boats), only prob is yep! flexibility, the auto carpet is on my list and has a bit more flex, IMO I recon it looks better too, it matches the car interior in appearance and color also (black), I am gunna use the Kwik Grip Gel for sticking it on as its a good product and price, considering the spray on but never used it.

I just checked out the UES Slides and it seems IRS in WA and QLD sell an identical set, I typed in the model number I was given off the UES website and got the IRS product which gave an excellent overview including a you tube video to look at the slides in packaged,opened,extended,locked etc. well worth a look if anyones considering looking into 125KG fully extended 1800mm in total slides, UES had them for $66 non locking and $75 locking 900mm closed 1800mm extended. I'll head down there over the next week or so and have a physical look at them.

The Full Boar Drawers are well worth a look at, Ive been on the website this week and may even give them a call, the prices he has on ebay are for a lower end setup (not quality just application) and Im looking for something which requires a modification or 2, If they come to the party Id be happy to purchase a locally sourced product, (with respect to other interstate Genuine Australian Manufacturers).

Cheers and Thanks

Smoothrun
16th October 2014, 11:16 PM
So say 5mm pile height allow a 8-10mm gap between the faces..

Thanks BigWesty, its what I was thinking, just needed some experienced members to give me heads up, cheers

Smoothrun
16th October 2014, 11:40 PM
Also consider lifting the bottom of a draw up quite a bit and integrate a slide out table in the base of the drawer between the drawer sides. this way you can use the drawer when the slide out table is also in use. ;)

Thanks MR, Ive been strongly considering this, Im trying to come up with a way to use it both as you mentioned, also Id like to remove it and have it mount on my rear tyre to be used in conjuction with a side awning, what how where when and why is to be considered in line with many other factors before I begin. Cheers

BigRAWesty
17th October 2014, 01:57 AM
I have a 50mm slide out table.
Had plans to add 4 fold out legs to but having the 2 kids aswell it's not quite big enough.
So we carry the blow moulded table on the racks..

altech
17th October 2014, 11:50 AM
Hi Dave , here a link to mine draw unit build and I just used some carpet strips on base of draw unit , works fine regards Alex

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12436-GU-Draw-Unit-for-under-450

Crate
17th October 2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks Rossco, I only wanted to use marine because I know how durable it is (had 5 boats), only prob is yep! flexibility, the auto carpet is on my list and has a bit more flex, IMO I recon it looks better too, it matches the car interior in appearance and color also (black), I am gunna use the Kwik Grip Gel for sticking it on as its a good product and price, considering the spray on but never used it.

I just checked out the UES Slides and it seems IRS in WA and QLD sell an identical set, I typed in the model number I was given off the UES website and got the IRS product which gave an excellent overview including a you tube video to look at the slides in packaged,opened,extended,locked etc. well worth a look if anyones considering looking into 125KG fully extended 1800mm in total slides, UES had them for $66 non locking and $75 locking 900mm closed 1800mm extended. I'll head down there over the next week or so and have a physical look at them.

The Full Boar Drawers are well worth a look at, Ive been on the website this week and may even give them a call, the prices he has on ebay are for a lower end setup (not quality just application) and Im looking for something which requires a modification or 2, If they come to the party Id be happy to purchase a locally sourced product, (with respect to other interstate Genuine Australian Manufacturers).

Cheers and Thanks

Locking are great because they hold the drawers open as well as shut, BUT you only really need one locking slide per drawer, so if you are making a pair of drawers buy one locking pair of slides and one pair of normal.

Reason being if you have both sides locking it can be tricky to operate both locking latches and pull the drawer open at the same time.

Rossco
17th October 2014, 09:55 PM

Cheers and Thanks

Hi Dave,

Agreed the auto carpet does look good, matches the interior pretty well. I ended up recovering the inside of the doors and the side panels with the carpet too which looks really good. I also did a fold down table on the barn door which is one of the best things I've done to the 4by, and probably cost less than 20 bucks.

Sounds like you got some pretty good prices on the sliders, I defiantly paid more than that for mine. Same as what Crate said about the lock out, they should be one of each if sold as a pair, but worth checking.

Good luck, with mine I kind of just nutted it out along the way, and they came up pretty well. It was fun and is rewarding making them yourself, and can save some $$$. I can chuck up some photos if you like.

Smoothrun
20th October 2014, 05:19 AM
Hi Dave , here a link to mine draw unit build and I just used some carpet strips on base of draw unit , works fine regards Alex

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12436-GU-Draw-Unit-for-under-450

Thanks Alex, nice job, like the way you reused tie downs, given me an idea. Appreciated

Smoothrun
20th October 2014, 05:26 AM
I can chuck up some photos if you like.

Thatd be grouse if ya wouldnt mind Rossco, any chance you have some of your barntable and upholstery, sounds interesting

Smoothrun
20th October 2014, 05:29 AM
Appologies for late replies, and thanks for your input. I work long nights so me times limited for review,

Cheers

apalsson
20th October 2014, 06:34 AM
I did mine in marine carpet. The base plate and the top plate extend past the vertical sides by the thickness of the drawer fronts plus the thickness of the carpet.
Wrapping the carpet on the drawer fronts is easy, just glue a piece on the front, then cut a slit from each corner, 45 degrees out and then tap the edges down with a mallet. The contact glue holds it well.
I did mine this way to use the top and base to stop any possible rattle and the drawer sides had approx. 4mm gap between them.
This means that when you slam the drawers shut, the front plates are completely jammed against each other and between the top and base
The sliders came off Ebay and are rated 100Kg

Rossco
20th October 2014, 09:28 PM
Thatd be grouse if ya wouldnt mind Rossco, any chance you have some of your barntable and upholstery, sounds interesting

No worries, I'll chuck some up in the next couple of days. . . a bit bloody busy ATM!!

Rossco
23rd October 2014, 10:17 PM
Hi Dave,

Finally put up some photos, here's a link.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?30500-Yep-Another-Rear-Drawr-Build

Smoothrun
29th October 2014, 03:16 AM
Hi Dave,

Finally put up some photos, here's a link.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?30500-Yep-Another-Rear-Drawr-Build

Rosco, your a good man, appreciate you putting them up, they look realy good, side panels and rear shelf came up grouse too,