PDA

View Full Version : GU standard 16X8 factory rims

dom14
14th October 2014, 04:55 PM
Are they any good?!!
They seem to be going for a lot cheaper than GQ 16X8 ones.
Are they structurally weaker than the GQ ones?
Sorry guys, I've never had a GU, so I don't know much about them.
Thanks

threedogs
14th October 2014, 05:08 PM
I have GQ Ti mags on my trailer I brought for $45 each .
to buy some series 3 mags they wanted $700 from the wreckers
which I then powder coated

Covo71
14th October 2014, 07:35 PM
I have four of them. Just took them off a 2003 gu. $70ea or $200 for set of 4. I am in Bathurst.

dom14
14th October 2014, 08:32 PM
I didn't mean the alloy wheels guys.
I meant these steel ones in the picture.50378

growler2058
14th October 2014, 08:51 PM
I got the 16x8 factory sunraysia look on my GU haven't had a chance to thrash them yet

dom14
15th October 2014, 11:44 AM
Can you guys please give me some help with my questions?

"Are they(Standard GU steel rims as in the picture) any good?!!
They seem to be going for a lot cheaper than GQ 16X8 ones.
Are they structurally weaker than the GQ ones?"

Clunk
15th October 2014, 12:15 PM
I'm guessing no one knows the answer to your question, you'd have to find out if a load rating is stamped on them somewhere, I don't see why they'd be weaker considering the gu is heavier than a gq...... But that's only my opinion

Alitis007
15th October 2014, 12:33 PM
They're not weaker just the fact that they are +10* offset, everyone puts larger tyres that need a negative offset so they don't rub thats why they're not sort after as much as the sunraiser rims

dom14
15th October 2014, 12:50 PM
Hey George,
Thanks for the reply mate.
If I understood you correctly, these standard GU rims are not good for a GQ(or a GU) if I'm to use larger tyres. Am I right?

By larger tyres, did you mean at least 285/75 R16?

BTW, when we veer off the standard positive off-set to a negative off-set, to fit larger tyres, do we knock the wheels out of alignment, so the all three wheel alignment settings(toe, camber, caster) need to be set to suit the new larger wheels with different off-set rims? I'm guessing it doesn't matter for the rear wheels as they don't turn like front ones.

dom14
15th October 2014, 01:03 PM
I'm guessing no one knows the answer to your question, you'd have to find out if a load rating is stamped on them somewhere, I don't see why they'd be weaker considering the gu is heavier than a gq...... But that's only my opinion

Ok cool mate. I learnt one new thing. That's, GU's are heavier than GQ.

BTW, this is what I read somewhere. "Standard GU steel rims are not good as they tend to crack lot easier than GQ standard rims"
The reason was mentioned as the GU steel rims are built weaker. It also says GU models replace those standard steel rims with factory alloys after initial models.

I don't know the truth about it. I read is somewhere in the internet.

Clunk
15th October 2014, 02:33 PM
Ok cool mate. I learnt one new thing. That's, GU's are heavier than GQ.

BTW, this is what I read somewhere. "Standard GU steel rims are not good as they tend to crack lot easier than GQ standard rims"
The reason was mentioned as the GU steel rims are built weaker. It also says GU models replace those standard steel rims with factory alloys after initial models.

I don't know the truth about it. I read is somewhere in the internet.

Yeah I have no idea mate, but it's on the internet so therefore must be true hahahaha

Alitis007
15th October 2014, 02:47 PM
Hey George, Thanks for the reply mate. If I understood you correctly, these standard GU rims are not good for a GQ(or a GU) if I'm to use larger tyres. Am I right? By larger tyres, did you mean at least 285/75 R16? BTW, when we veer off the standard positive off-set to a negative off-set, to fit larger tyres, do we knock the wheels out of alignment, so the all three wheel alignment settings(toe, camber, caster) need to be set to suit the new larger wheels with different off-set rims? I'm guessing it doesn't matter for the rear wheels as they don't turn like front ones.
Hi Dom, no dramas mate, its not that they're not good, its coz the tyre is close to the chassis and can rub while its flexing ( depend what size lift you have). I've seen a couple of members cars with those rims without a hassle running 285's and a 2" lift.

Offset won't affect wheel alignment because its how far in or out of the center rim sits and doesn't change its angle. Change tyre size and rim diameter does tho.

Its good practice to have you wheel alignment checked every time you fit new wheels and every time you rotate them (6months/10,000km) to make sure you're within spec so you don't excessively prematurely wear your tyres

dom14
15th October 2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah I have no idea mate, but it's on the internet so therefore must be true hahahaha

Or just an old wives tale by a GQ bloke under the influence of XXXX beer. :1087::biggrin:

dom14
15th October 2014, 02:54 PM
Hi Dom, no dramas mate, its not that they're not good, its coz the tyre is close to the chassis and can rub while its flexing ( depend what size lift you have). I've seen a couple of members cars with those rims without a hassle running 285's and a 2" lift.

Offset won't affect wheel alignment because its how far in or out of the center rim sits and doesn't change its angle. Change tyre size and rim diameter does tho.

Its good practice to have you wheel alignment checked every time you fit new wheels and every time you rotate them (6months/10,000km) to make sure you're within spec so you don't excessively prematurely wear your tyres

Ok, cool. I understand now. Cheers mate. :beer: