PDA

View Full Version : Squealing belt and/or pulley

Hodge
14th October 2014, 12:01 PM
Since the wombat meet-up bog-hole run, a squeal of sorts has developed up the front of the engine. It's more evident in the mornings / colder days. Once engine runs for a bit or is already warm when I start it up it goes away.
Quick spray of the belt conditioner sort of makes it go away. But I don't think it's the belt though ...

Now this is the interesting part. In the morning the squeal goes away instantly after the engine runs for a bit. This happens roughly after a minute of starting her up, and if I'm inside the car I'm pretty certain that I can hear a click, or something happens, and the noise instantly goes away.

Is there some sort of clutch or something, like the fan clutch, that engages or disengages after a certain time or once a certain temperature is reached ???

It's getting pretty farkin' annoying waking everyone up the morning.

MudRunnerTD
14th October 2014, 12:04 PM
Is there an idle up solenoid for cold starting? Could be that. My TD42Ti had a jet wash after the wombat trip and I have a squealing belt now too. Sh1tting me to tears!

Hodge
14th October 2014, 12:11 PM
Is there an idle up solenoid for cold starting? Could be that. My TD42Ti had a jet wash after the wombat trip and I have a squealing belt now too. Sh1tting me to tears!

Yeah this one is horrendous on cold mornings, very annoying. The fact it goes away instantly at that point is whats got he stumped.
The only thing I know on the idle up, is the button in the cab, but I'm pretty sure that electronically controls the throttle though ...

threedogs
14th October 2014, 12:51 PM
check the pulley on the end of the alternator, mine gave a slight whine but with a few revs went away.
Then it snapped off on Hume coming home from the Murray.
No warning signs at all

Go easy with the belt grip too

mudski
14th October 2014, 04:51 PM
Take the belt off and give the idler pulley a spin. See what it feels like. I reckon its the belt if its since the trip. The belt has stretched ever so slightly from the mud and water, once the belt gets a little heat onto it, it shrinks. Common issue with the ZD's and the single belt set up. As soon as they see any water, they squeal like a pig. River crossings are fun, everyone staring at you on the other side because it sounds like your dragging a boar up the bank by its gonads.

Bloodyaussie
14th October 2014, 05:07 PM
Easier to give it a quick spray... if the noise goes away for a brief moment you know its the culprit.

AB
14th October 2014, 05:40 PM
Easier to give it a quick spray... if the noise goes away for a brief moment you know its the culprit.

X2, most easiest way to isolate problem first if its the belts and pulleys, ac, alternator first.

Hodge
14th October 2014, 05:55 PM
Cheers fellas. Will give it a test tomorrow morning again.
Still whats got me stumped the most, is why it stops instantly once something clicked not long after the cars been turned on in the morning ???
Might even film it tomorrow.

AB
14th October 2014, 06:23 PM
Cheers fellas. Will give it a test tomorrow morning again.
Still whats got me stumped the most, is why it stops instantly once something clicked not long after the cars been turned on in the morning ???
Might even film it tomorrow.

Could even just be a little moisture on the belts mate. Once started all good. My Navara does that in mornings only in winter.

Hodge
14th October 2014, 06:27 PM
Could even just be a little moisture on the belts mate. Once started all good. My Navara does that in mornings only in winter.

My D22 used to do the same thing! Except it was more like loud ticking instead of a squeal, until the car warmed up.... Drove me nuts for a long time. Nissan even diagnosed it as possible hydraulic lifters faulty. But in the end it turned out to be the belt!!!

I will assess this more tomorrow morning. Might even go out buy a new belt as swap 'er over just for the sake of it.

lhurley
14th October 2014, 06:29 PM
Could be the aircon compressor? As far as I know they won't engage at start up but once the car has been running for a moment it engages and switch on.

How that relates to the noise, not sure, but the only thing I can think that could 'click' a few moments after the car is started

Hodge
14th October 2014, 06:33 PM
Could be the aircon compressor? As far as I know they won't engage at start up but once the car has been running for a moment it engages and switch on.

How that relates to the noise, not sure, but the only thing I can think that could 'click' a few moments after the car is started

That's the first thing I made sure, that the air-con is off, once i figured out that at some stage for some reason, squeal stops instantly, and something engages or disengages under the hood.

So, just making sure... The alternators, on the common rails are so called smart alternators? As in they are clutch engaged? Anybody know?

mudski
14th October 2014, 06:52 PM
They do have a clutch on them Eric. I know that much.

SG1
14th October 2014, 08:14 PM
Mine squeals a bit every morning, annoys the hell out of me, so switch it to "heat" to warm it up and noise goes away, think its the belt and prob should get a new genuine one anyway, and keep old one as a spare.

BillsGU
14th October 2014, 11:41 PM
Make sure you buy an original belt. I don't know why - but the others all squeal after a short time - even the expensive ones.

Sir Roofy
15th October 2014, 07:39 AM
Sounds like the belt tensioner bearing to me dirty water has got in
bit like bull dust got into mine you dont need to replace the lot just the bearing
maybe $25 tops and 30min of your time

threedogs
15th October 2014, 08:23 AM
Anyone know the size of the torque bolt on the tensioner pulley ?

Bloodyaussie
15th October 2014, 04:02 PM
13mm??.... I did a GQ one today and it was 13mm aqnd the nut that held the pulley on was 17mm.

mudski
15th October 2014, 05:38 PM
Anyone know the size of the torque bolt on the tensioner pulley ?

Are you talking about to release the tension on the arm so you can take the belt off? If so its 19mm. There's a cast hex on the arm.... The bolt that goes into the motor is 17mm (I think) then the two bolts for the shocker is 10 or 12mm... My brain is fried. I cant remember shite today...

threedogs
15th October 2014, 05:43 PM
I brought an after market one and the chrome pulley is held on with a torq bit screw,
I want to remove the pulley and replace the bearing with a known brand bearing

Hodge
15th October 2014, 05:45 PM
OK tested it out this morning, and I also recorded it. You can hear that annoying squeal in the video below at around 15-16 second mark, that instantly goes away and the revs ever so slightly change up or down I cannot tell which way...

I should also mention that this click or whatever has always happened not long after I started the car, but this time it also includes this squeal after wombat. It only happens when it's cold, so tomorrow morning I will put water or belt grip on it, to test what that does... But I suspect something else that engages or disengages. It can only be the alternator (clutch) or the fan ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_Z51ZT8JU&feature=youtu.be

mudski
15th October 2014, 05:47 PM
I brought an after market one and the chrome pulley is held on with a torq bit screw,
I want to remove the pulley and replace the bearing with a known brand bearing

T50 is the size of the Torx bit you need. Good luck in finding the bearing. I found either the same as the aftermarket bearing then, 4mm wider. The right bearing, a guy at SKF in Campbellfield found the part number for me but no bearing supplier in the country had one. Not just SKF, but, CBC etc etc. I did the rounds about 12 months ago. I have all the part number for this somewhere...

Hodge
15th October 2014, 06:19 PM
OK tested it out this morning, and I also recorded it. You can hear that annoying squeal in the video below at around 15-16 second mark, that instantly goes away and the revs ever so slightly change up or down I cannot tell which way...

I should also mention that this click or whatever has always happened not long after I started the car, but this time it also includes this squeal after wombat. It only happens when it's cold, so tomorrow morning I will put water or belt grip on it, to test what that does... But I suspect something else that engages or disengages. It can only be the alternator (clutch) or the fan ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_Z51ZT8JU&feature=youtu.be

Sir Roofy
15th October 2014, 06:20 PM
ok tested it out this morning, and i also recorded it. You can hear that annoying squeal in the video below at around 15-16 second mark, that instantly goes away and the revs ever so slightly change up or down i cannot tell which way...

I should also mention that this click or whatever has always happened not long after i started the car, but this time it also includes this squeal after wombat. It only happens when it's cold, so tomorrow morning i will put water or belt grip on it, to test what that does... But i suspect something else that engages or disengages. It can only be the alternator (clutch) or the fan ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li_z51zt8ju&feature=youtu.be

sounds like the bearing starting to go

Hodge
15th October 2014, 06:34 PM
sounds like the bearing starting to go

Definitely. Buy which bearing though... It's one of those start replacing each, elimination process.

mudski
15th October 2014, 06:36 PM
That click you hear. Try this. See how long it takes from turning the key and starting to the click. Then time it again but just go to ignition and don't start the car. That click I reckon is the glow plug relay and it's just a coincidence about the belt noise stopping at the click.

Sir Roofy
15th October 2014, 06:39 PM
i brought an after market one and the chrome pulley is held on with a torq bit screw,
i want to remove the pulley and replace the bearing with a known brand bearing

here ya go john ntn bearing number wc87503 oe artical
i orded mine through bj bearings in warragul about 2years ago

Hodge
15th October 2014, 06:41 PM
That click you hear. Try this. See how long it takes from turning the key and starting to the click. Then time it again but just go to ignition and don't start the car. That click I reckon is the glow plug relay and it's just a coincidence about the belt noise stopping at the click.

Will do mate. I'll time it tomorrow and see what happens.

But it's just weird... If it were the belt, you'd think that noise would gradually go away, fading away as the belt warms up, stretches or whatever... But noise is consistent, from the moment the engine turns, and then in an instant, disappears.

Sir Roofy
15th October 2014, 06:41 PM
definitely. Buy which bearing though... It's one of those start replacing each, elimination process.

my guess is the belt tensioner

Sir Roofy
15th October 2014, 06:44 PM
that click you hear. Try this. See how long it takes from turning the key and starting to the click. Then time it again but just go to ignition and don't start the car. That click i reckon is the glow plug relay and it's just a coincidence about the belt noise stopping at the click.

i was thinking the same as the glow plugs shut down after 2nd glow
send yendor a pm he,s the man for this

happygu
15th October 2014, 09:12 PM
Mine has been doing the same thing, only when cold or when I go through deep water / river crossing .......

Now it is warming up - all quiet again

Mic

Hodge
16th October 2014, 07:18 AM
Sprayed a bit of water on the belt this morning and for a second it went away, then became very high pitched , and eventually went away.

mudski
16th October 2014, 07:48 AM
Take the belt off and check the idler pulley wheel bearing, see if its got any play. Check the alternator pulley too. Also the shocker mounts might have worn out enough for movement to make the belt loose enough. But I doubt it. My guess its just the belt or the shocker on the tensioner has lost its mojo. But since this only happened from the last trip. It will be the belt I reckon. You should keep a spare belt with you anyway mate. As if that breaks, you won't be going anywhere.

threedogs
16th October 2014, 07:57 AM
here ya go john ntn bearing number wc87503 oe artical
i orded mine through bj bearings in warragul about 2years ago

thanks mate will chase one up,

threedogs
16th October 2014, 07:58 AM
T50 is the size of the Torx bit you need. Good luck in finding the bearing. I found either the same as the aftermarket bearing then, 4mm wider. The right bearing, a guy at SKF in Campbellfield found the part number for me but no bearing supplier in the country had one. Not just SKF, but, CBC etc etc. I did the rounds about 12 months ago. I have all the part number for this somewhere...

T50 it is thanks Mark

Hodge
16th October 2014, 08:09 AM
You should keep a spare belt with you anyway mate. As if that breaks, you won't be going anywhere.

I will buy a new one today.
If it let's go... Apart from being stranded , can it cause any damage like throw something out of sync ???

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

happygu
16th October 2014, 08:16 AM
I will buy a new one today.
If it let's go... Apart from being stranded , can it cause any damage like throw something out of sync ???

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

With mine, I had the dealer look at it at the last service, and they told me the tensioner was fine, but I had to bring it back and leave it overnight for them to look at it first up in the morning, even though I had a clear video of the noise, which sounds exactly like belt noise to me.

I never got around to taking it back to them and leaving it overnight, as that is the biggest pain in the arse for me ..... I have a spare genuine Nissan belt and tensioner anyway in the back. I was going to change the belt to confirm that this was the noise but now it is too late with the weather warmed up ..... I'll just leave it till next year ( or the next service where they tell me my tensioner is shagged, but it is now out of warranty ...Bang Head )

Mic

Ronin
16th October 2014, 10:36 AM
With mine, I had the dealer look at it at the last service, and they told me the tensioner was fine, but I had to bring it back and leave it overnight for them to look at it first up in the morning, even though I had a clear video of the noise, which sounds exactly like belt noise to me.

I never got around to taking it back to them and leaving it overnight, as that is the biggest pain in the arse for me ..... I have a spare genuine Nissan belt and tensioner anyway in the back. I was going to change the belt to confirm that this was the noise but now it is too late with the weather warmed up ..... I'll just leave it till next year ( or the next service where they tell me my tensioner is shagged, but it is now out of warranty ...Bang Head )

Mic

I had the exact same issue, on a cold start there was a squeaking noise and it would go away as the engine warmed up. Spoke to the dealer and they asked for the Patrol to be left with them.

They changed the belt and the noise has gone away.

Hodge
6th November 2014, 05:31 PM
Well, replaced the tensioner today, after it was left over night and they are confident thats what it was when she started this morning. Will see what happens tomorrow morning.

megatexture
6th November 2014, 06:32 PM
Got miNe replaced today with a service and it was shagged

Hodge
6th November 2014, 06:58 PM
Got miNe replaced today with a service and it was shagged

I honestly cannot fault mine. Unless it squeals under tension, then I guess it was worth it. But once i got it off, it seemed ok, spinning the bearing, produces no sound and seems very smooth. Will find out tomorrow morning I guess.

megatexture
6th November 2014, 07:21 PM
My tensioner was all stiff from a build up of crap but works fine now so wasnt applying enough presure and chewed the belt out

Hodge
7th November 2014, 05:23 PM
Well, good news! New tensioner, no more squealing in the morning. Will keep the old one, and order a new bearing, leave it as a spare.

threedogs
7th November 2014, 05:29 PM
Roofy gave me this part number for the bearing in the tensioner
NTN-WC 87503.
I brought a new tensioner and will swap out the bearing asap and
leave the assembly in the Patrol along with some tools

Hodge
7th November 2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah I picked that number up off the forum somewhere. Will go pick one up.

Sir Roofy
7th November 2014, 08:31 PM
A good out come then when you pull out the bearing you
will see how dry it is and might have fine dust as well

Hodge
7th November 2014, 08:49 PM
Yup. Should have heeded your advice from day 1 ! Will go and get a bearing tomorrow.
I hope I have that start looking tool, to take it out...

Rexzilla
11th November 2014, 11:19 PM
I had the same issue with mine, I replaced the tensioner and the belt and it still did itr, I did a bit of searching on Google and found that the bearings in the clutch of the air cond compressor dry out over time and that is the problem, try turning the air cond on and off and see if it goes away.
One explanation was that the compressor is mounted low so if you go through water it is one of the first things that gets wet, it would probably cop a bit of water from the front tyre on a wet day also.
I sprayed some CRC into the clutch area of the compressor (try not to get it on the belt or pulley's) and it went away, it does come back after a while...

mudski
12th November 2014, 05:23 PM
I had the same issue with mine, I replaced the tensioner and the belt and it still did itr, I did a bit of searching on Google and found that the bearings in the clutch of the air cond compressor dry out over time and that is the problem, try turning the air cond on and off and see if it goes away.
One explanation was that the compressor is mounted low so if you go through water it is one of the first things that gets wet, it would probably cop a bit of water from the front tyre on a wet day also.
I sprayed some CRC into the clutch area of the compressor (try not to get it on the belt or pulley's) and it went away, it does come back after a while...

Yeah I change the a/c idler bearing last year, it's just started again to rattle away. So I pulled it down again and cleaned it up and jammed some decent grease in the bearing and is good so far. I do keep a spare bearing for it now. What a PIA of a job to remove too.

Hodge
12th November 2014, 05:25 PM
Hmmm I will keep an eye on the aircon bearing now too.

mudski
12th November 2014, 05:40 PM
Hmmm I will keep an eye on the aircon bearing now too.

Yeah the air con is in the worst spot. Too low, and it cops all the dust and dirt.

Hodge
12th November 2014, 06:14 PM
Yeah the air con is in the worst spot. Too low, and it cops all the dust and dirt.

Do any of those protection plates like the Brown davis cover up that gap that at least protects that exposed bottom engine front area from instant mud/water splash ???

mudski
12th November 2014, 07:29 PM
If it's anything like the plate I have. No.

Davo65
17th November 2014, 12:00 AM
Would any supplier/brand of belt and tensioner be fine or should it be genuine only

mudski
17th November 2014, 07:46 AM
Personally speaking. OEM. Especially on the tensioner. The belt OEM is better, but I am running a Gates belt right now and its been good for 12months so far.

dom14
20th November 2014, 10:36 AM
check the pulley on the end of the alternator, mine gave a slight whine but with a few revs went away.
Then it snapped off on Hume coming home from the Murray.
No warning signs at all

Go easy with the belt grip too

Oh man, I've never thought this could happen! How do you avoid something like this?!

gu8 patrol
20th November 2014, 04:39 PM
it will be the belt tensioner,mine had a leak in the small shock absorber which made it click back and forward and squeal would disapear.