PDA

View Full Version : Starting prob's on an 15 degree incline left overnight

PHANOTOM
13th October 2014, 03:20 PM
G'day guys

Whilst on holl's towing my off road camper, I was parked overnight in the bush on a 15 degree incline. Upon coming to start the following morning, my engine started for approx 3 sec's before dying.

I cranked the engine several times before deciding to check under the bonnet for air / fuel blockage or anything obvious.

I also pumped the primer fuel pump several times, thinking the fuel pump may have been starved of fuel.

I cranked the engine again and hey presto the engine started without any ado and has not missed a beat since.

Any thoughts on this. Does the fuel line have some valve to stop fuel leaking back into the fuel tank. I suspect the fuel from my pump / filter had been used before the engine originally stopped and had lost it's prime.

Appreciate any feedback

Cheers

PHANOTOM

big_fletch
13th October 2014, 03:33 PM
What engine do you have mate?

PHANOTOM
13th October 2014, 03:38 PM
Gu 3ltr diesel

PHANOTOM
13th October 2014, 03:44 PM
Sorry mate: Nissan ST DIESEL GU 3LTR. I'VE HAD FROM NEW 2.5YRS BACK AND NEVER HAS IT MISSED A BEAT.

4bye4
13th October 2014, 03:58 PM
I have the same motor and the only times I have had similar is first thing in the morning when I have either turned it over before the glow light has gone out or got distracted and not cranked the motor until some time after the glows have gone off. Either way I have just turned off, turned on waited for glows and started. Sound a bit weird if it has not done it again. Don't know if there is a one way valve in the fuel line, but once the motor started for three seconds it should have drawn fuel through. If there was an air leak I would expect it to happen more than once. Did you see if there was fuel in the filter when you checked under the hood?
I would park it on a similar incline at home (ramps) and see if it does it again. If it does I think I would be looking for perished fuel hose allowing air into the system.

kevin07
13th October 2014, 11:47 PM
yes same problem I have, check your fuel lines on the filter the clamps are not the best they probably need replacing. are you able to twist any hoses by hand on the filter.

PHANOTOM
17th October 2014, 02:57 PM
G'day Kevin

Since writing it has occurred once only again, this time from being cold and parked on the flat surface of my garage. I will check for leaks again and loose hoses. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers Kevin and happy / safe 4wd driving.

John O

PHANOTOM
21st October 2014, 04:49 PM
G'day Kevin and maybe this could be posted for all to have some knowledge.

My vehicle is still under 3yr warranty from new. Took back to NISSAN and was checked out. One of my injectors .... I think no 4 was faulty and is being replaced under warranty.
So if the sympoms for others are similar to mine again others will know what a possible problem could be on top of crook fuel; air lock; blocked fuel filter etc add to the list the injector senario.

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to assist.

PHANOTOM
21st October 2014, 04:50 PM
G'day maybe this could be posted for all to have some knowledge.

My vehicle is still under 3yr warranty from new. Took back to NISSAN and was checked out. One of my injectors .... I think no 4 was faulty and is being replaced under warranty.
So if the sympoms for others are similar to mine again others will know what a possible problem could be on top of crook fuel; air lock; blocked fuel filter etc add to the list the injector senario.

PHANOTOM
21st October 2014, 04:50 PM
G'day, maybe this could be posted for all to have some knowledge.

harrymoto
27th October 2014, 03:24 PM
Gday Phanotom, I just bought a 2009 gu6 3.0l crd and had this very problem although haven't had the engine stall like that since tightening the hose clamps at the filter, however I've only done this in the last couple of days. Do you know if an engine fault code showed up or do any of the experts out there know if a fault code would show up in this case as I am planning on getting a scangauge that will be able to report if this is the problem in my case.

Cheers