PDA

View Full Version : Inside instrument panel of my GQ - where does the aluminium square tube with funny g.

werasmus
10th October 2014, 08:54 PM
I took my GQ instrument panel apart to solder dry joints. In the process I didn't notice where the aluminium square tube with funny cut and shape goes. It is about 40mm long by 12mm by 10mm. Would be great if I could know before reassembling. Thanks

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2014, 09:52 PM
Sounds like the odometer worm drive maybe??? Have you got a pic mate.

werasmus
10th October 2014, 10:37 PM
Hi, it is this picture taken against stepper motor plug for size Thanks Mudrunner for response.

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2014, 10:51 PM
If Mudnut does not see this and respond send him a pm, he strips clusters all the time and will tell you what that is in a blink I reckon. Sorry, on the iPad and its a little small.

werasmus
10th October 2014, 10:54 PM
Thanks Mudrunner will give him time to respond, if not I will do as you suggested. Cheers Mate

mudnut
10th October 2014, 11:19 PM
Sorry, werasmus. I have been concentrating on setting up test equipment to repair clusters. I haven't stripped many units down as yet. It looks like a shield. Of some sort. What engine is your vehicle. If it is a Petrol (TB42 e or RB30) I will pull apart the cluster I have, and take a picture for you tomorrow.

werasmus
11th October 2014, 12:07 AM
Hi thanks MudNut thanks you guys don't waste time helping others. What a great forum. Mine is a RB30S 1991. No need to pull apart at this stage as I managed to figure it fit (with it's grooves) in the emergency break light channel shielding. Can't figure out why it is needed though.

I do have a issue with my speedometer and the reason for the dismantle. When power is of, it sits at 0. Not always, but when I start driving it would "spike" at 180 and stuck there couple of tumbs on dashboard most of time bring it back to normal. Any suggestions. I don't have money at this stage to replace. Cheers

mudnut
11th October 2014, 12:15 AM
It sounds like a loose connection or a dry solder joint. Have a read of this thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27775-GQ-Speedo-reads-overspeed-sometimes

There is a bloke advertising on EBay for changeover clusters.

werasmus
11th October 2014, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the link. Will test tomorrow. Did some dry joint soldering. Hope it's better now. :)

werasmus
11th October 2014, 12:37 AM
Do you know where I can get the Rb30 manual supliment. I have the manual but can't find the engine supliment anywhere. It would really be apreciated if I could be steered in the right direction. Cheers

mudnut
11th October 2014, 10:20 AM
I haven't got that supplement either, so if you don' get an answer, maybe start a new thread and ask, if you get no response.

werasmus
13th October 2014, 05:33 AM
Thanks MudNut, will do with the manual sub. So far so good after soldering the dry joints on the instrument panel. Will keep an eye on it. Cheers

werasmus
14th October 2014, 07:23 AM
Hi all, hope all is well in Patrol world. I've done all soldering and cleaning contacts on the instrument cluster of my Patrol gq. The only instrument acting up is the speedo. When the car is switched off, the needle rest at 0 once started it jumps to 180 max and stuck there. Thumbs on dashboard sometimes fix it temporary. Going over bump also sometimes fix it. This doesn't happen always. I have added extra ground and tested it.

My question is, what would cause it to stuck at max: short with continues high voltage, spike from sudden short or not one of these. NOTE I am now trying to determine if my feed from sensor is the problem.

Last question, is the transmission sensor on gearbox close to emergency break or closer to gear level (manual).

Thanks guys response would be apreciated. cheers

mudnut
14th October 2014, 11:19 AM
The speedo sender is near the hand brake. Have a look at the wiring harness to the back of cluster as it sounds as if you are getting a spike from the voltage supply.

werasmus
14th October 2014, 03:44 PM
Will have a look at the harness thanks. Will also follow the wires from sensor to cluster and clean all plugs and connectors. I also thought it might be a spike pushing the needle beyond the upright position to drop on the wrong side. Cheers

werasmus
22nd October 2014, 10:57 PM
Hi guys, still have the Intermittent problem, but I think I have the cause now. I took out the instrument cluster again, and noticed something loose inside. On opening it was a capacitor thing in a black plastic cover (see the 2 photos). Must have came loose with knocking the dash to make it work. I can't make out the writing and don't know where it should go. Do any of you have an idea where it comes or have a photo of the speedo pcb , as the value might be printed on the pcb. Should be a quick fix if I know what to buy, and where it should go. Cheers all.

mudnut
23rd October 2014, 11:20 AM
Here are some views of a TB42E speedo PCB. Every components' position is marked on the board.

werasmus
23rd October 2014, 10:26 PM
Thank you very much Mudnut. This will help me heeps. I will Compare my pcb with the photos. I Could also get some writing on it - 4.19 mz so will look on the pcb where that is marked. I have posted to a new thread as well as this topic is of topic for the components. My apology if it seems as a double post, but it was not my intention. Just need to source the new 4.19 mZ component now. Cheers mate.

mudnut
23rd October 2014, 11:06 PM
Try a mob call RS components. GQ Tank used a slightly different Crystal and it worked. Read this thread:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27698-Speedo-now-reading-in-reverse

werasmus
11th November 2014, 04:05 PM
I apologize for the delay in posting a result here. I got 4mhz resonator from RS on Friday. Will put it in this weekend and will post the results. Cheers

mudnut
11th November 2014, 04:16 PM
Take some pictures of the steps to repair it, and if it is successful post them up, thanks.

werasmus
18th November 2014, 06:58 PM
Will definitely do so once finished. I posted on my other thread another request. I'm very furstrated with the Speedo at the moment. Cheers