PDA

View Full Version : Ford pulls out of v8 racing

threedogs
10th October 2014, 07:36 AM
As above seems Ford are not going to support V8 racing next year.
I would think Fords will still be racing but no factory backed team.
Bummer. First went to Bathurst in a Galaxy 500 and slept in the boot.
then again in my mates XY GT Vermillion fire with road/track wheels.
Watching Carter and Moffat turned me into a Ford follower DABnabit,
There was a young up-start in a Torana XU-1 called Brock at the time too.
Those were the days ,

Family4x4
10th October 2014, 08:25 AM
As above seems Ford are not going to support V8 racing next year.
I would think Fords will still be racing but no factory backed team.
Bummer. First went to Bathurst in a Galaxy 500 and slept in the boot.
then again in my mates XY GT Vermillion fire with road/track wheels.
Watching Carter and Moffat turned me into a Ford follower DABnabit,
There was a young up-start in a Torana XU-1 called Brock at the time too.
Those were the days ,

A shame for sure, Holden will have to dominate all the blow in manufactures now. Great thing about a Galaxy is the 8 3/4 diff bolts straight up into a Kingswood.

R.I.P Ford Australia.

R.I.P Brocky great Australian champion.

threedogs
10th October 2014, 09:04 AM
Might turn this into Bathurst thread as cant find last years,
I like the young Volvo driver Mclashen seems to have the cahoonies.
Yeah was up Bathurst when Brownie rolled the yellow GT HO along the Armco
rail up the top near Shell tower { our camping spot for a fews years running]
Only reason he survived was it rolled along the back seat area not the front.
They displayed the car somewhere to promote seatbelt safety at the time.
maybe head office at Broadmedows

Avo
10th October 2014, 09:08 AM
So I wonder what Ambrose will be driving then?Team Penske and dick Johnson are teaming up next year so I'm lead to believe.Maybe a Toyota but would good old dick do that?

Bloodyaussie
10th October 2014, 09:10 AM
I got a flat tyre on my 250cc motorbike out the other side of Albury and the only one to stop was a bloke in a Galaxy.. we put my bike in the boot and drove to Holebrook !!!

pearcey
10th October 2014, 09:14 AM
So I wonder what Ambrose will be driving then?Team Penske and dick Johnson are teaming up next year so I'm lead to believe.Maybe a Toyota but would good old dick do that?

It`s only factory support thats being withdrawn.
There will still be fords there, may be not as many as in past years and may be not Falcons but Mustangs

johno1938
10th October 2014, 10:28 AM
its just my opinion but .
these cars are nothing like road cars
they are race cars looking like wotever brand they want
all use same chassis ,running gear ,trans, etc
the engine is the only thing remotely linked to a manufactures brand
bring back the good old days when one could actually buy a car the same
how about we start racing 4wd's
just imagine patrols , landcruisers & heaveforbid landrovers , sliding around bathhurst
lmfao

Stropp
10th October 2014, 10:46 AM
yes i have been a couple of times but never had the opportunity in the early days but do remember sitting dow and watching black and white telly and seeing brownie roll the gt etc, i was a holden man back then had a xu1 and then changed camps and tried to buy a HO but the bank said it was a bad investment and wouldn't lend me money for such an expensive car $4000, how wrong they were.

threedogs
10th October 2014, 11:10 AM
just imagine patrols , landcruisers & heaveforbid landrovers , sliding around bathhurst
lmfao

from a very close source in the HDT I've been told the only thing Holden is the door handle,
plus 300mm is cut from the centre, IMO the all look the same just different wrap and artwork.
@ Stropp back in the day the Chargers would have won and cleaned up on debut but the gear sticks keep falling out.
Tom Walkinshaw would have won as well but glass in carbie from rear ending someone stopped the jag in its tracks.
There is a farm house at the end of Pit straight, lets just say what happens at Bathurst stays at Bathurst.
I always chuckle every year I see it.lol, We drove around the track at the speed limit 35mph even in the GT the tyres squealed their guts out going down to forrest elbow.
Plenty of cops to keep you honest they were in MG's ,mini minors [Cooper S] Those were the days

fitzyfootlong
10th October 2014, 12:02 PM
That's shocking from Ford.. What ever happened to local companies supporting the local community.. But the new Mustang is niiiiicee!!

threedogs
10th October 2014, 12:59 PM
Plenty of action from the mountain already

jay see
10th October 2014, 01:34 PM
lmfao

I saw a doco about the xa gt, (I think it was) and the moto was win on Sunday sell on Monday. Once people were going in buying production race cars and wiping themselves out, the government who had a contract with ford said if you keep building these race cars and sell them to the public, we will stop buying cars from you.
I think there was 3-4 xa gt phase 4 built and I might have been on one of the early episodes of man and machine a green one

threedogs
10th October 2014, 01:59 PM
Compared to whats available today the HO's were tame, and not that much quicker than a GT. 14.5sec qrt mile time if you had a good one
Could have worked on a better brake package IMO.
All Ford or Holden had to do was sell 500 to be able to race so the dealers all over AUST
registered 500 easy peasy. There is footage of a guy driving the Hume Hwy sitting on redline in 4th in a GT HO
But you could back in the day and yes he was crazy.
todays time so far today are 2min 5secs A race prepared GTHO did it in 2min 35sec
an XR6 was quicker around the track
Tyres play a big part too

Winnie
10th October 2014, 03:39 PM
They have put a new surface on the track this year which apparently is a bit grippier and helping with the fast times.

Imagine what the production cars would be like now days if they still raced them though.

Stropp
10th October 2014, 03:49 PM
i just saw a thread from ford to say they are supporting v8 racing through fg x falcon

threedogs
10th October 2014, 03:56 PM
They have put a new surface on the track this year which apparently is a bit grippier and helping with the fast times.

Imagine what the production cars would be like now days if they still raced them though.

fancy racing with bench seats and lap/sash seat belts as some did, lol

lhurley
10th October 2014, 03:59 PM
from a very close source in the HDT I've been told the only thing Holden is the door handle,
plus 300mm is cut from the centre, IMO the all look the same just different wrap and artwork.
@ Stropp back in the day the Chargers would have won and cleaned up on debut but the gear sticks keep falling out.
Tom Walkinshaw would have won as well but glass in carbie from rear ending someone stopped the jag in its tracks.
There is a farm house at the end of Pit straight, lets just say what happens at Bathurst stays at Bathurst.
I always chuckle every year I see it.lol, We drove around the track at the speed limit 35mph even in the GT the tyres squealed their guts out going down to forrest elbow.
Plenty of cops to keep you honest they were in MG's ,mini minors [Cooper S] Those were the days

They had to chop the middle out of the holden race cars as they were a fair bit wider then the falcon. Gave it better aero or something but to level it out they needed make all the cars identical. Fat lumps that the commos are anyways

jff45
10th October 2014, 05:54 PM
While we're reminiscing about Bathurst in years gone by, I recall the last time I was there Bob Jane was racing a white E type Jag against Norm Beechey who drove a Chevy II.
We drove there from Sydney in a Dodge table top truck that had a 318 ci V8.

threedogs
10th October 2014, 06:02 PM
While we're reminiscing about Bathurst in years gone by, I recall the last time I was there Bob Jane was racing a white E type Jag against Norm Beechey who drove a Chevy II.
We drove there from Sydney in a Dodge table top truck that had a 318 ci V8.

They were the days, sometimes guys fibreglassed their utes to make one big ice tub
going out on a limb and predicting a Volvo win yes Volvo barring any major dramas that McLachlan is a pretty good driver
if he crashes out Ford

Avo
10th October 2014, 07:36 PM
your going to bet against wincup there TD,or lowndes....

threedogs
10th October 2014, 07:41 PM
your going to bet against wincup there TD,or lowndes....
wincup wrecked his ride didn't he ?. But good choice for a 1-2 any order

Avo
10th October 2014, 07:44 PM
mate I have just walked in the door from work and haven't seen didlly squat of any of it yet.

threedogs
10th October 2014, 07:52 PM
yeah I missed the top ten shoot out or do they drive for positions tomorrow
been a few big bangs already no injuries thank the man upstairs,

Stropp
10th October 2014, 08:46 PM
Top ten shoot out tomorrow

Stropp
10th October 2014, 08:51 PM
I saw a doco about the xa gt, (I think it was) and the moto was win on Sunday sell on Monday. Once people were going in buying production race cars and wiping themselves out, the government who had a contract with ford said if you keep building these race cars and sell them to the public, we will stop buying cars from you.
I think there was 3-4 xa gt phase 4 built and I might have been on one of the early episodes of man and machine a green one

There was one badged xagt phase 4, the other three were cars that were normal cars that were taken from the production line and and sent out to be built into Bathurst specials and were not badged as gt's. The one badged one is in Sydney and belongs to a dentist who has had it from new. The other collect able xagt's are what's known as RPO gt's which are the ones that got some or all the phase 4 gear on them.

threedogs
11th October 2014, 12:06 PM
Lowdes and Luff just wrecked their rides going up mountain straight, plus T Kelly
might be the new surface playing up.???????
Lowdes helped Luffy out of the wreck great sportsmanship IMO

I used to know what the different Phases meant, as in. what work made it a phase 3
compared to a phase 2 which had lesser work done

Stropp
11th October 2014, 12:46 PM
phase 2 was a xw, phase 3 was a xy, phase 4 was xa.

Winnie
11th October 2014, 12:48 PM
Phase 3 was leaps and bounds above the phase 2. And phase 4 was better by an even bigger margin, too fast for the road apparently lol

Stropp
11th October 2014, 12:52 PM
Phase 3 was leaps and bounds above the phase 2. And phase 4 was better by an even bigger margin, too fast for the road apparently lol

the phase four death was just scare mongering by a journalist who got the public and government worked up about fast cars to the point that the car companies were forced to can them. just another example of the power the press have and most of it is bullshit.

threedogs
11th October 2014, 02:00 PM
Nah you got it wrong any car can be phase one I think its just an exhaust mod .
Phase 2 is head work and exhaust
phase 3 is cam, head work and exhaust
From memory Phase 4 had us baffled at the time
something along those lines

firm351
11th October 2014, 02:33 PM
Nah you got it wrong any car can be phase one I think its just an exhaust mod .
Phase 2 is head work and exhaust
phase 3 is cam, head work and exhaust
From memory Phase 4 had us baffled at the time
something along those lines

Phase 1 was the first GTHO it was an XW with 351 Windsor with cam and carby mods and suspension mods. Phase 2 GTHO was XW with a 351 Cleveland with a bigger carby than stock. Phase 3 GTHO was of course an XY 351 Cleveland with cam and carby mods suspension and brake mods and a Detroit locker fitted.

threedogs
11th October 2014, 03:02 PM
I know the different GT's
I have also seen phase 3 Mustangs
A phase was the amount of work done to the motor
You could if you wanted to have a phase 3 Kingswood
Maybe its a yankee thing, very old school

Stropp
11th October 2014, 04:03 PM
yes its just a phase we go through :)

jay see
11th October 2014, 06:58 PM
There was one badged xagt phase 4, the other three were cars that were normal cars that were taken from the production line and and sent out to be built into Bathurst specials and were not badged as gt's. The one badged one is in Sydney and belongs to a dentist who has had it from new. The other collect able xagt's are what's known as RPO gt's which are the ones that got some or all the phase 4 gear on them.

Yep, RPO that rings a bell.
Here is the link to the episode with the XA.
Man and Machine: Season 1 Episode 2: http://youtu.be/q-mBOpx2Y6Y

mudnut
12th October 2014, 11:57 AM
Just watched a drama filled few minutes on the track, one bloke forced another into the tyre barrier, one hit a roo, one driver shunted his team mate, and another got stuck under a tyre barrier. The track surface is cracking up on one turn.

TPC
12th October 2014, 12:47 PM
Race suspended, hope they restart it otherwise i will loose my excuse for not doing any work today.

threedogs
12th October 2014, 12:57 PM
I had to give up the remote AAARRRGGGHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhHHHhhEEEELLLLPPPPPP

pearcey
12th October 2014, 01:00 PM
Jack Millrer leading Moto 3

mudnut
12th October 2014, 01:17 PM
The best quote of the day (if I heard it correctly), regarding the crews fixing the track. "What they're doing, is like wiping an elephants bum with talcum powder..."

NP99
12th October 2014, 07:01 PM
Will Ford re think their re think now? :)

the evil twin
12th October 2014, 07:08 PM
Will Ford re think their re think now? :)

I dunno... but if Ford quits the upside will be that it will be even more humiliating to the Red Pussies when they get their butts whipped by a Nissan or a Volvo.

Personally I think the Nissans should be allowed to race their V8 at full race tune then the 161 laps will be over by lunch time.