PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 belt tensioner

nomad1
9th October 2014, 01:22 AM
Hi guys help needed please...first post
I have read some older posts on this but I still need advice.
the tensioner only squeals upon first start up in the morning and only lasts no longer than about 60 seconds.
Only just started being pretty much every morning now but until recently it would be only occasionally.
If I persevere with it fr awhile wat could be the possible results .?
Or should I replace it ASAP ?
Many thanks and look forward to advice .

4bye4
9th October 2014, 01:48 AM
If it was only squealing occasionally and now it's every morning I'd be replacing it ASAP. If you persevere for a while you will probably loose it and the belt on a freeway or the middle of nowhere. Easier to do on the weekend than on the side of the road somewhere. As mentioned in other posts on this forum, try to avoid aftermarket or at least get a proven after market part.

threedogs
9th October 2014, 09:30 AM
Hi mate and welcome , can you pop over to the intros please ,polite and all.
Just something the forum asks of us all.

You may be able to just change the bearing, cheaper IMO

Avo
9th October 2014, 09:47 AM
yep replace straight away I reckon,mine started squealing occasionally then when it did stuff up I had to get home and stuffed the belt aswell

mudski
9th October 2014, 11:04 PM
Replace it mate. Don't leave it or you, know what's gonna happen. It will fail at the worst possible time. Replace the belt too. Get a genuine belt, if not a Gates branded one if aftermarket is your only option. Same goes for the tensioner. I have run an aftermarket tensioner for the last 8 months or so, to test out before I was to buy them for my shop. The little shocker failed and spewed oil all over the belt and ruined that too.
But having said that, I would not hesitate to buy the aftermarket tensioner as an emergency spare. I keep one, with the tools to fit it under my seat. As if either the belt goes or the tensioner goes, the car won't go.

nomad1
10th October 2014, 02:16 AM
Thanks mate .
I will replace it....what tools doi need to make it an easier job ?
Actually any tips would be appreciated !

threedogs
10th October 2014, 09:08 AM
Not having done it but looking at my spare, A large screwdriver to take tension off the belt and a 1/2 in socket set.
I brought a complete assembly off Ebay but I'm going to change the bearing,
Its only in the Patrol to get me to a service centre or home depending where I am.

mudski
10th October 2014, 04:38 PM
Not having done it but looking at my spare, A large screwdriver to take tension off the belt and a 1/2 in socket set.
I brought a complete assembly off Ebay but I'm going to change the bearing,
Its only in the Patrol to get me to a service centre or home depending where I am.

Theres a 17mm hex on the arm of the tensioner John which you use to loosen the tension off the belt.

fitzyfootlong
10th October 2014, 04:42 PM
Pretty common problem by the looks of it!

mudski
10th October 2014, 11:58 PM
Pretty common problem by the looks of it!

Yeah it kinda is I suppose. A single belt is good in a way but is bad too. As you only need to lose one belt and you are fubar. Say on a RD28 or TD42, where they use multiple V belts, if you lose one, you might still be able to go. Belt depending.
But the tools needed is, either a 17 or 19mm socket for the main bolt through the pivot section of the tensioner, 17mm to loosen the tensioner itself from the belt. And then the little shocker which is, either 10mm or 12mm. Not much to it, can be swapped over in around 5 minutes.
Buy and OEM and keep the old one for spare. But change both belt and tensioner together though.

batesy
18th October 2014, 10:01 AM
bought a genuine one from online auto parts in qld, made in china, the shocker only lasted about 18mths spewed oil out, so went to dandy nissan & bought a new one & guess what made in china could'nt believe it.

mudski
18th October 2014, 10:05 AM
bought a genuine one from online auto parts in qld, made in china, the shocker only lasted about 18mths spewed oil out, so went to dandy nissan & bought a new one & guess what made in china could'nt believe it.

Lol. You'd be surprised on how much of the OEM Nissan parts are not made in Japan.

batesy
19th October 2014, 11:56 AM
Sent it back to online and they replaced the shock, so got a spare one now all good.

threedogs
19th October 2014, 06:20 PM
I've brought a bit of gear from Auto online always a pleasure to work with IMO

mudski
19th October 2014, 09:18 PM
Sent it back to online and they replaced the shock, so got a spare one now all good.

They still warranted it after 18months? Thats good...

johno1938
20th October 2014, 07:42 PM
yep tensioner bearing is $4.50 from bursons
no listing but they no the match
couple o big sockets knock it out & newi in
saves paying $80 for a pully ay

mudski
20th October 2014, 08:59 PM
yep tensioner bearing is $4.50 from bursons
no listing but they no the match
couple o big sockets knock it out & newi in
saves paying $80 for a pully ay

Lol. Did you buy a spare bearing?

BigRAWesty
11th January 2016, 06:21 PM
Thread dig.
Is it worth replacing the tensioner when doing the belt??
I'm looking at doing a few bits before I head for the May trip more as proventitive maintenance.
I'm up to 64500k on it. Is it worth changing or do they sorta last out untill 100 thou? ?

threedogs
11th January 2016, 06:41 PM
I have the original on at 220k with no signs of changing it yet

Sir Roofy
11th January 2016, 08:13 PM

Once you get into the fine dust it will let go
just a wee squeak then get worse over time

@Kallen get one of E/bay and put in your spare kit

BigRAWesty
11th January 2016, 09:38 PM
Once you get into the fine dust it will let go
just a wee squeak then get worse over time

@Kallen get one of E/bay and put in your spare kit
Just seen all the kits with belt and tensioners and was wondering if it's needed..

mudski
11th January 2016, 09:56 PM

Yours hasn't seen dirt for 220k too John...
Dirt kills these tensioners easy. I destroyed a almost brand new one when I got stuck neck deep in that bog in Tallarook.... If I were Kallen, I would replace the entire unit when doing the belt, and keep both old belt and tensioner as spares in the truck, along with a MAF. Because if you spit the tensioner anywhere and you dont have a spare, your fubar.

Hey Kallen, strap your thinking cap on and make up a stainless guard for the a/c pulley. The idler bearing in these cops a hell of a lot too because its so low down...

Hodge
11th January 2016, 10:04 PM
Agree with Mudski. They don't like dirt. I killed 2 in span of 3 months.
Both let go after a day of ofroading .

Tapatalked from S6

BigRAWesty
12th January 2016, 06:18 AM
Cheers guys..
And yea mudski I was looking at that.
I guess that why they have that stupid big plastic sand catcher under them..

threedogs
12th January 2016, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=mudski;652964]Yours hasn't seen dirt for 220k too John...

Not entirely true its goes to Tallarook a few times a years with some mates and up along the Murray as well
Just cause I dont go on trips from here doesnt meant I dont go 4x4ing. Id go more often if health was better
Also been up and around Woods Point a couple of times too. in the GU
As suggested change out what you can hose,belts, maf etc then you know where you are and keep all for spares

BigRAWesty
1st February 2016, 10:46 AM
Ok guys had a rather large squeal from start up yesterday morning..
It disappeared by the time I had popped the bonnet and got to the front to investigate..
It just stopped..
I did notice when I got back in that the ac was on..
Hasn't done it again.
How likely is the ac bearing to fail??

mudski
1st February 2016, 08:42 PM
Ok guys had a rather large squeal from start up yesterday morning..
It disappeared by the time I had popped the bonnet and got to the front to investigate..
It just stopped..
I did notice when I got back in that the ac was on..
Hasn't done it again.
How likely is the ac bearing to fail??
I had changed the idler bearing in the a/c twice in 18months. Remove the belt and spin the a/c pulley to see if theres any play. I always kept a spare bearing for the a/c.
Best thing to do is replace the tensioner and belt. The tensioner with oem only in my opinion. Ive had a few issues with the aftermarket jobs. But get one of them as a spare uhder the pax seat. If the tensioner or belt goes while your out. The car wont be going any where.
As for the belt. Oem or gates brand. I ran either and either worked really well.
But keep a tensioner, belt and maf with the tools required to replace in the car mate. I kept all mine under the pax seat.
Any of these go when your out and you cant change them over, call a tow truck.
Oh yeah. I dont have the tensioner from mine anymore too bud. Sorry.
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
1st February 2016, 08:48 PM
I had changed the idler bearing in the a/c twice in 18months. Remove the belt and spin the a/c pulley to see if theres any play. I always kept a spare bearing for the a/c.
Best thing to do is replace the tensioner and belt. The tensioner with oem only in my opinion. Ive had a few issues with the aftermarket jobs. But get one of them as a spare uhder the pax seat. If the tensioner or belt goes while your out. The car wont be going any where.
As for the belt. Oem or gates brand. I ran either and either worked really well.
But keep a tensioner, belt and maf with the tools required to replace in the car mate. I kept all mine under the pax seat.
Any of these go when your out and you cant change them over, call a tow truck.
Oh yeah. I dont have the tensioner from mine anymore too bud. Sorry.
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
To easy mate. Yea I gotta get a few things happening before may..
I think scangauge may have to wait a little..

Firetrol
22nd March 2016, 08:36 PM
I just had my drive belt & tensioner replaced after having a similar squeak, i went with OEM from Nissan. $270 for tensioner & pulley, $75 for the belt, kept old ones for spares.

togenshi
23rd March 2016, 05:15 PM
I basically rebuilt mine. Bushes were fubar so I got the vesconite ones from Armstrong Energy. Got bearings from local bearing shop (i think one was ever so slightly wider). Used fork oil for ensure oil in the spring housing.