PDA

View Full Version : my smallest welsh plugs wont fit

elmo4eva
6th October 2014, 09:19 AM
Hey all just wonder has anyone ever had this problem of the 7 smallest welsh plugs on the side of the motor not fitting

NP99
6th October 2014, 11:56 AM
Are they oversized by much? Put them in the freezer for a few hours, it should shrink them up enough.

elmo4eva
6th October 2014, 08:12 PM
Nah mate there not oversize they seem like the proper size but there not u can push them in with ur finger they need to be like half of half mm bigger but they don't make that size they said

NP99
6th October 2014, 09:11 PM
Doesn't sound right, have you tried a few places like Nissan and Repco maybe!

billyj
6th October 2014, 09:13 PM
there too small, the welsh plugs should be a tiny bit bigger than the hole, its the interference fit that helps them to seal. measuer the holes with a set of verniers and then get plugs just a little bigger

pearcey
6th October 2014, 09:35 PM
G`day mate
What type are they, cup or saucer?
Saucer type normally can be pushed in the hole up to the shoulder then it is flattened slightly to spread the plug which locks it in the hole
Cup type are pushed into the hole and the edge of the plug which has a larger diameter than the base then shrinks to the size of the hole locking itself in place .
Hope this is of some help.

elmo4eva
7th October 2014, 09:42 AM
I have stainless cup ones

pearcey
7th October 2014, 12:49 PM
You could try an engine recon shop or genuine.
Why are you using stainless there`s no need and I would be checking that there is not a problem with electrolysis. I`ve always used steel or brass, and yes in the early days steel did rust but today its not common with the coolants we use.

NP99
7th October 2014, 01:54 PM
Steel plugs are cheap and used as oem, brass is a common replacement. I've heard not to use brass on alloy heads and to use stainless steel on Diesel engines .....

elmo4eva
7th October 2014, 05:34 PM
Oh tru I neva new that

NP99
12th October 2014, 12:04 AM
How did you go mate?