PDA

View Full Version : rd28 glow plugs covered in soot?

DilboBaggins
5th October 2014, 07:25 PM
G'day guys, with my 99 2.8lt patrol, I have been having starting troubles, but mainly when hot, so today ive taken all the glow plugs out without mix matching them either ;) and they are all covered in a build up of soot. So ive got the wire brush and cleaned them all up ect then tested them with a multi metre and they all have good resistance. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can put them back in. Anyone know why they would get covered in soot? Cheers

DilboBaggins
5th October 2014, 10:35 PM
So I got them back in and it didnt change my starting issues :(

mudski
5th October 2014, 11:31 PM
G'day guys, with my 99 2.8lt patrol, I have been having starting troubles, but mainly when hot, so today ive taken all the glow plugs out without mix matching them either ;) and they are all covered in a build up of soot. So ive got the wire brush and cleaned them all up ect then tested them with a multi metre and they all have good resistance. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can put them back in. Anyone know why they would get covered in soot? Cheers

Because they are glow plugs. The tips sit just in the cylinder pots. So they will go black. Check all fuel lines for leakage. Any wet areas around the filter, fuel lines etc etc?

DilboBaggins
6th October 2014, 10:21 PM
There are wet spots on the injector lines, fuel primer pump is firm though which makes me think it's not a fuel problem. Sounds rough as when started and blows smoke untill its warm