PDA

View Full Version : I Really Need Some Help! - Engine lost power, rough idle and more

moosh
4th October 2014, 09:34 PM
Hi, I am really hoping someone can shed some light on the problem I am having. I have owned two Patrols 4.2 petrol. The first one had to be scrapped because of rust and a problem with the engine. The second has developed the same engine problems after a similar repair. Here's the story.

So Patrol No.1
I purchased from new in 1996. A couple of years ago due to rust it needed its fuel lines replaced. After this was repaired the engine would not make power. It struggled to pull its self up hills. Some times on start up it would not run on all cylinders, and when this happened you would here a loud clicking noise which sounded to be coming from the near side back. Some times it would start up and the idle would be rough. Anyway I tied getting it fixed but know one here could fix it. In the end because I love the Patrol so much I went on the hunt for another.

December 2013 I came across a 1995 white 4.2 petrol Patrol the same as the one I owned. The main difference was that the 1 owner had rust sealed everywhere and she was in really good condition. The engine sounded great and drove perfectly. So over the last 10 months I have been restoring her to as new condition. I completely resprayed her, changed over warn parts, replaced all the lights, new truck horn fitted, spot lights, etc, etc. I was so happy with the Patrol and was determined to look after her and keep her in perfect condition.

So last month the Patrol developed a fuel leak. I took her in to a Nissan center to repair it. They ended up replacing the fuel tank, fuel sender and some pipes. I collected the Patrol yesterday from the garage and to my dismay the engine was behaving exactly like the old one with all the same problems. Gutted is not the word!

So now the garage is trying to wash their hands of the problem saying it was nothing to do with them.

To be honest I don't care about who's responsible I just want her to work. I just want my lovely Patrol to run the way she did before they repaired it.

In the UK no one seems to know anything about these 4x4's so I am hoping the someone on this forum will have seen this before and help me resolve and fix the issue. I thought Maf sensor? I just don't know.

As crazy as this might sound, I am so so upset. I love my Patrol and this one was my last chance of owning one. You just never see the in the UK that are not rust buckets.

pearcey
4th October 2014, 10:39 PM
G`day mate.
Have the fuel filters been changed, was the one on the end of the of the pickup been cleaned or replaced.
All so has the ignition system been fully checked on an oscilloscope
These engines are relatively simple but sometimes problems are hard to find with out test equipment, and guessing and changing parts can be head scratching.
Beers and Cheers Pearcey

4bye4
5th October 2014, 01:00 AM
Hi Mate. If the fuel tank and lines have just been replaced I'm thinking air in lines or pickup. I am a mechanic, but unfortunately not automotive. Someone on the forum will know the fuel system for this model I recon. Always worth checking what was done last though, and pipe and sensor replacement is what you have just had done. Does anyone know if this model has a fuel pump in the tank or in the engine bay. If its in the engine bay and there is a loose fuel connection it could be pulling air.

threedogs
5th October 2014, 04:14 PM
I'd be double checking all vacuum lines for splits . They will perish over time
plus cheap to replace as well.
Makeitfit is over your way maybe PM him if not too far away.
even fracster is there worth a shot if they are close by

moosh
7th October 2014, 05:38 AM
Thanks for all your advice.

Was told today by the garage that they have found that the fuel pressure is only half what it should be so they are tracing it back from the filter to find out whats causing it.

Will keep you updated.

moosh
9th October 2014, 05:43 AM
UPDATE.

The garage called me today and said it was the fuel pump they fitted. Although new, it must of been for another model of Patrol as it was only putting out 27 psi. Mine needs to be 47 psi. So picking her up tomorrow morning and hopefully all fixed.

Does anyone know if there were two different fuel pumps for the Y60 Patrol petrol 4.2?

pearcey
9th October 2014, 09:03 AM
thanks for the update mate
I`m not sure that if there are 2 different pumps, may be the new one is faulty.
If it is faulty you should be able to claim it under warranty
Cheers and Beers Pearcey

threedogs
9th October 2014, 09:11 AM
One might be Carby the other for EFI

GQ TANK
28th October 2014, 07:21 PM
The carby fuel pump sits on the side of the motor next to the alternator. Not sure where the efi sits - in tank?