PDA

View Full Version : Top mount or front mount intercooler

daz172
4th October 2014, 03:30 PM
Hey every1. So I'm i am going to intercool my rd28 gq , but have been wondering which way to go, top mount or front mount, I've read some things and it seems both have there disadvantages, for instance , the top mount (where I originally wanted it) apparantly catches a lot of heat from the engine and heats up pretty quick with not as much airflow, the front mount, gets good airflow but restricts radiator , and could run the risk of over heating car. What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance

AB
4th October 2014, 03:54 PM
Pros and cons with both and you'll have mix answers here.

I'm extremely happy with my front mount wrx intercooler, receiving cold air right at the front as opposed to a top mount receiving engine heat rather then fresh air.

Some have had overheating issues with the front mount. I thought I did as well but a good clean out if the radiator has fixed it and have not seen any noticeable changes with water temp.

Might be a ford Holden type of answers here but if you want maximum results then there is no argument with a front mount in my opinion.

lhurley
4th October 2014, 04:56 PM
How do front mounts go with mud pits??

I guess the idea would be to avoid them, but sometimes its easier said then done

AB
4th October 2014, 05:40 PM
How do front mounts go with mud pits??

I guess the idea would be to avoid them, but sometimes its easier said then done

Same as how your radiator goes mate. It gets caked in mud. All good though, you may get a lesser cooling of the air as it may not travel through the ic as efficiently but nothing a wash wouldn't fix as per any bog hole and cleaning the radiator, etc.

daz172
4th October 2014, 06:03 PM
Ok thanks guys , got some good points there, give me a bit to think about, just 1 more thing ,with the top mount I have heard of some ppl running thermo fans on the intercooler to drag the fresh air in, what u think about that? Just getting all the facts as I have limited room at the front in my grill, but I can defo see the advantage there with the cooler air, the mud caked in there could b an issue

AB
4th October 2014, 06:20 PM
Ok thanks guys , got some good points there, give me a bit to think about, just 1 more thing ,with the top mount I have heard of some ppl running thermo fans on the intercooler to drag the fresh air in, what u think about that? Just getting all the facts as I have limited room at the front in my grill, but I can defo see the advantage there with the cooler air, the mud caked in there could b an issue

Plenty do and the scoop.

I'm sure they work awesome mate, I'm just biased of course so give it time for others to see this.

Winnie
4th October 2014, 06:26 PM
You'll be happy whatever setup you go mate. I have a cross country top mount and it made an enormous difference, I love it.

Family4x4
4th October 2014, 09:11 PM
Front mount for touring/highway, top mount water to air for slow work/ 4x4 tracks where there is no real air flow.

Ben-e-boy
4th October 2014, 09:33 PM
Front mount for touring/highway, top mount water to air for slow work/ 4x4 tracks where there is no real air flow.

Thats a bit contadictory considering most W2A coolers heat exhanger is mounted in front of the radiator. If there is not enough airflow cool intake temps via a front mount intercooler, how will the coolant for the W2A be cooled in the same situation mounted in the same place?

bushwacker
5th October 2014, 02:30 AM
mate from a big turbo but non 4wd back ground top mounts are really bad for heat soak and rob a lot of power but are good for throttle response so choose which you want more good reliable power or throttle response and less chance of mud build or damage up ect

Family4x4
5th October 2014, 10:11 AM
Thats a bit contadictory considering most W2A coolers heat exhanger is mounted in front of the radiator. If there is not enough airflow cool intake temps via a front mount intercooler, how will the coolant for the W2A be cooled in the same situation mounted in the same place?

Just regurgitating what I had been told..........

liftlid
5th October 2014, 02:20 PM
If your driving in a muddy area, top mount. patrols start to overheat even when radiator is partly blocked and if you keeping your AC that will be 2 things in front of your rad full if mud.
Check out the difference in temps on the way home from a mud run and you will agree.
As for heat soak , most of us won't be running enough boost and for long enough for it to be a serious concern

AB
5th October 2014, 02:50 PM
If your driving in a muddy area, top mount. patrols start to overheat even when radiator is partly blocked and if you keeping your AC that will be 2 things in front of your rad full if mud.
Check out the difference in temps on the way home from a mud run and you will agree.
As for heat soak , most of us won't be running enough boost and for long enough for it to be a serious concern

Front mount you mean....

liftlid
5th October 2014, 03:21 PM
Front mount you mean....

The way It was sposed to be taken was that you want a top mount

nicksamaniac
23rd April 2015, 10:27 AM
Just my experience.
I run a fmic on my gq, i still have ac on it, its a tight fit but its all in there!
The idea behind this option for me was that the engine bay gets really hot on my car, (rb30det with hi mount turbo)
and it would probably need a body lift to fit one over the engine and get a fan under it.
Also I do a fair bit more touring/traveling then crawling, and in low range it hardly makes boost anyway, so front mount I thought for the win.