PDA

View Full Version : Double din GPS DVD Camera - Tunez?

Patrol-Guy
1st October 2014, 10:01 PM
Evening all, I'm looking at getting a new head unit but want the works. So need to have DVD, GPS and reverse camera amongst the run of the mill other stuff. Also MP3 would be good.

So I've found a Tunez unit on eBay and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this brand before. I've never heard of them but the again I've never gone looking for head units before either.

Here's the link to the one I'm looking at -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221206045688?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks in advance for any info.

Paul

BigRAWesty
1st October 2014, 11:03 PM
For that price your in the brand name leuge anyway so I'd be looking at the pioneers, jvc or sony units.

TPC
1st October 2014, 11:15 PM
I bought this one on ebay a couple of years ago and regretted it, the GPS stopped working and the company has vanished.
I will stick to brand names from now on.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49830&stc=1

When it was working i found it to difficult to use the gps as it is to low to safely look at while driving.

katwoman
1st October 2014, 11:27 PM
I bought this one on ebay a couple of years ago and regretted it, the GPS stopped working and the company has vanished.

When it was working i found it to difficult to use the gps as it is to low to safely look at while driving.

Same here.. I went Pioneer this time but without GPS. With smart phones, tablets and tom toms, dont really need it. $$ are always hard to come by, but this is one thing I would always pay more-pay once..

the evil twin
2nd October 2014, 01:39 AM
Evening all, I'm looking at getting a new head unit but want the works. So need to have DVD, GPS and reverse camera amongst the run of the mill other stuff. Also MP3 would be good.

So I've found a Tunez unit on eBay and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this brand before. I've never heard of them but the again I've never gone looking for head units before either.

Here's the link to the one I'm looking at -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221206045688?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks in advance for any info.

Paul

I have the older brother to that one from the same vendor and without the DVB etc which is a waste of time here in WA.
Mine was $450 ish.
I only use it for radio/sd card music/navigation (Ozi or Igo)
It replaced a 6 year old Chinavasion unit which I had fitted in 3 Patrols and sold with the last one.

The vendor asked me what model Patrol it was for and included the loom adapters so it plugged straight in.

It is wickedly faster processing maps etc than the Chinavasion and the screen definition and brightness is excellent.
The only thing that I can mention as a drawback is that if you turn the volume knob very quickly it doesn't respond.
It did come with the latest Igo maps (which I had anyway) and I can't fault it.
Reception range is the best I have seen from a chinee cheapo set but not as good as the higher end makers.

Mine is about 6 months old and 14,000 K's now and has survived the corrugations of the Great Central Road, West Mcdonells, Oodnadatta track etc

On my experience I would happily recommend the brand BUT I may have been lucky and got a good one

the evil twin
2nd October 2014, 01:45 AM

Thats odd, Elinz are still on Ebay with over 12,000 sales and 99.7% feedback.

They have quite a handy 7 inch GPS navigator for approx $150 and my 4WD Clubbies have bought maybe 18 to 24 items off them and they have replaced 2 faulty GPS units no questions asked.

Give 'em a try via Ebay messages they might still help you out.

Patrol-Guy
2nd October 2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys. Valuable info. I appreciate the feedback. So now looking at Brand names without GPS. Any suggestions on which model to be most popular? I just want something that's user friendly, plays DVDs and mp3s

jff45
2nd October 2014, 09:14 AM
I took the risk on a cheapie Ebay 7" does everything unit 5 years ago and it's still working well but I did add a little 12v extractor fan on the back before I installed it.

I agree with others comments on the GPS not being very practical in that position so I don't use it. Also don't use the handsfree because the mic is too far away and picks up too much other noise.

threedogs
2nd October 2014, 09:26 AM
My double din unit is ok the gps has stopped and the ppl say it cant, on going but the TV works a treat but I would not buy again.
I think Eonon is the brand most ppl use for the excellent service

GPS software the same as my VMS touring GPS so it was easy to use
Mine is a fixed screen less working parts

TPC
2nd October 2014, 09:36 AM
Thats odd, Elinz are still on Ebay with over 12,000 sales and 99.7% feedback.

They have quite a handy 7 inch GPS navigator for approx $150 and my 4WD Clubbies have bought maybe 18 to 24 items off them and they have replaced 2 faulty GPS units no questions asked.

Give 'em a try via Ebay messages they might still help you out.
It is interesting they are there again, i searched for them previously and came up with nothing but now they are back.
The unit is well out of warranty now so i would not think they would fix the GPS and i prefer to use a GPS up higher anyway.
It was fun installing this unit, they advertised it as slotting straight in to a Patrol but required a fair amount of file and hacksaw work to make it fit.

Bloggsy
2nd October 2014, 10:06 AM
I'm on my 2nd Tunez unit as the first one had a few issues. The current one has been in the Patrol for 2 years, but in the last 6-8 months it has developed the following issues.

1. Volume knob doesn't work properly. If you turn the volume up it may go up or down or not at all (I've resorted to using the remote).
2. Sometimes (very rarely) it'll switch from radio to ipod or USB mode by itself.
3. The hands free is pretty useless as no one can hear you talking.

The TV works, but depends on where you are. But I really don't use it. Apart from that iGO and Ozi all work fine, but yes it is a bit hard to see the screen.

ben ren
7th October 2014, 08:11 AM
Does the DVB-T have 2 aerials or just the one?
I'm looking at some Android double dins at the moment and am unsure if 2 aerials would be better than one for picture quality.
Cheers

mudski
7th October 2014, 10:00 AM
That mob use to be in Mildura, or up that way. I bought a head unit off them a few years back, had issues, they didn't want to know, finally got a replacement, then that one stuffed up. They do trade under a few different names too on eBay. I now have an Eonon unit, bought direct from them in China or where ever they are. Works o.k, radio reception is horrible though, even with two antenna's fitted. The GPS works good in it, well good enough for me....

TJCPATROL
12th October 2014, 04:03 PM
Yep, I got a Pioneer Double din. Brilliant quality screen. Has App mode also but I opted to have my Itouch wired into one input and that left another free for secondary input as well or charging phone. My best advise would be to choose your camera location very carefully. If you have a Patrol mine is under number plate and works well but I'd a little tricky reversing as it is angled to give full view.
The best spot I've seen is to replace your dummy hook on rear step with a plate and locate camera there. Right in the centre. Better for reversing onto tow ball if that's important to you.