PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for smoking meats

threedogs
1st October 2014, 10:30 AM
Hi I have a Finlandia smoker and think its time to start experimenting with smoking some produce,
be it fish ,game, poultry or meat of some description.
If anyone has any ideas on best Chips to use for flavour , like tea bags etc I would like to know.

BigRAWesty
1st October 2014, 12:19 PM
Check out
Smoking meats forum
Or bbq brethren

Both top sites with different recipes to try

But I recommend cutting your teeth on a fatty...

Winnie
1st October 2014, 12:29 PM
Check out
Smoking meats forum
Or bbq brethren

Both top sites with different recipes to try

But I recommend cutting your teeth on a fatty...

You are a forum slut!!

Stropp
1st October 2014, 01:43 PM
also check out the smoke shack, i believe they have recipes on their website too.

threedogs
1st October 2014, 03:08 PM
Yeah but Kallen logged onto smoking meats for another reason lol

taslucas
1st October 2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah but Kallen logged onto smoking meats for another reason lol

Bahahaha that's actually the funniest thing you've ever posted! Nice!

Maxhead
1st October 2014, 04:57 PM
Is it a cold smoker or hot or both??

Here's a good site I came across when looking for recipes and stuff.....http://www.meatsandsausages.com/

Here's a chicken brine for smoking...You don't have to use cure but when you do it will still look pink inside and have a ham like texture
CHICKEN BRINE
for 8 small breasts
water 500ml
salt - heaped tablespoon
cure#1 - 1/2 tablespoon
sugar - molasis 1 tablespoon or brown sugar
pinch of - hungarian paprika, coriender powder and oregano
2-2.5 light smoke on 70degC

I used hickory but any fruit tree will do the trick. You can also soak the chips in rum then dry:):):)

janderson
1st October 2014, 09:26 PM
Hi I have a Finlandia smoker and think its time to start experimenting with smoking some produce,
be it fish ,game, poultry or meat of some description.
If anyone has any ideas on best Chips to use for flavour , like tea bags etc I would like to know.

I use the Shavings from the red gum when I cut fire wood, soaked in Rum. Also when I prune the fruit tress I put then in the chipper to use as-well

HuskyInAuz
1st October 2014, 11:19 PM
I'll admit I don't know that much about all the Eucalyptus/Gum varieties and what type of flavor they emit but there are a lot of flu and cough remedies that have Eucalyptus in them. The idea of cutting into a 'flu' rib didn't sound appealing so I went searching. I read a forum in the old country since we cold smoke meats at home (Jervis Bay) and as a kid/young adult on the farm we'd smoke a lot of meats to look into Euc, since the Hickory smoking chips at the stores were ridiculous. I wanted an alternative, I didn't find a lot of positive comments. I'm sure a good rum soaking would give the smoke a vary 'Caribbean' sensation... man.

I'd look for fruit trees too, Apple, Cherry, possibly nut trees, like walnut? If I hadn't found an alternative I'd have been over to Young and other orchard areas looking for pruning. I'd also wondered about grape and olive but didn't have the time to research.

On the farms we'd would use Hickory/Mesquite on red meats, Alder/Apple on fish, Hickory/Fir (Oregon) on pork and only cold smoke.

Avo
2nd October 2014, 09:16 AM
I'm making 10kg of smoked sausage this weekend,we make kabana and then just smoke them and cryovac them..dunno the recipe as I'm being shown at the same time.but my mate makes everything...just buys a whole pig or 2 and goes for it..
I know if you want here's a guide I have for my smoker
hickory-pork,beef,venison,wildgame.........considered by many the best wood for pork
pecan-pork,beef,venison,poultry........this is the best for wildboar
Mesquite-beef,venison,wildgame....strongest of the woods
cheery-poultry,vegetables,cheeses(YES cheeses)we smoke camemberre...frigging awesome..........sweet natural flavour,great with poultry and lighter foods.
apple-pork,poultry,wildturkey(not the drink)..............another great one for pork
Maple-seafood,poultry,wildturkey,vegetable,cheeses...... great for salmon and tuna steaks.
Alder-salmon,seafood.............excellent with any seafood
oak-beef,wildgame.pork...........good with wild game of beef

threedogs
2nd October 2014, 09:18 AM
Bahahaha that's actually the funniest thing you've ever posted! Nice!
Really see what happens without the meds lol

Avo
2nd October 2014, 03:55 PM
here's some of my efforts.

threedogs
2nd October 2014, 04:04 PM
Is it a cold smoker or hot or both??

Here's a good site I came across when looking for recipes and stuff.....http://www.meatsandsausages.com/

Here's a chicken brine for smoking...You don't have to use cure but when you do it will still look pink inside and have a ham like texture
CHICKEN BRINE
for 8 small breasts
water 500ml
salt - heaped tablespoon
cure#1 - 1/2 tablespoon
sugar - molasis 1 tablespoon or brown sugar
pinch of - hungarian paprika, coriender powder and oregano
2-2.5 light smoke on 70degC

I used hickory but any fruit tree will do the trick. You can also soak the chips in rum then dry:):):)
No idea if a hot or cold smoker, the instructions did say you can cook almost anything in it, and
lots of Scandinavian ppl have one at home, might have to google it

megatexture
2nd October 2014, 06:02 PM
Can't you just soak the chips in rum essence rather than wasting a good drop! Just go to a home brew shop there are so many flavours!

janderson
2nd October 2014, 09:22 PM

First try doing Kangaroo jerky in the smoker. SPOT ON. Only way to do it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Smoked with redgum and rum

Avo
5th October 2014, 08:47 PM
been smoking a bit today with doggy

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2014, 06:13 AM
been smoking a bit today with doggy

Meet Dooggy.

Lol

threedogs
6th October 2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah mun I get it lol

Avo
6th October 2014, 10:00 AM
Lamb rack,pineapple and cheese,all done in the smoker..for those that haven't tried to smoke some cheese...give it ago if you like cheeses and bikkies you'll love it with the smoke flavour

Stropp
6th October 2014, 08:08 PM
Lamb rack,pineapple and cheese,all done in the smoker..for those that haven't tried to smoke some cheese...give it ago if you like cheeses and bikkies you'll love it with the smoke flavour

i tried but i just cant get it to light :)

Beachbums
7th October 2014, 12:59 PM
HI Guys, We do a bit of smoking using a couple of different smokers. Apart from the weber kettle which does a great job we have a gas Hark and an anerican style offset ( and a couple of others :redface::redface: )
We are over on this BBQ forum and there is quite a lot of info there to trawl through. I'll chuck a couple of links in..........

Cheers, Wayne

Aussie BBQ Forum ............. http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/index.php

The Smoker Section ................. http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Our Hark thread over there ............... http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7194&hilit=playing+with+our+Hark

Playing with the Offset ...................... http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7521&hilit=playing+with+our+offset

BigRAWesty
26th October 2014, 04:50 PM
Sooooo...
My Sunday started at 7am.
Pork Shoulder went on at 9.
Currently waiting out the stall and thinking it might be an oven job for the last hour.
Opened it up at 3 to check it and fuel supply and it had burnt about 1/3 the snake.
So going well..

threedogs
26th October 2014, 04:53 PM
That looks soooooo good Kallen

BigRAWesty
26th October 2014, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately the wife has been crook as all day so feast will be tomorrow night now.
Will finish it all tonight so will keep you posted.
Plan is a real American meal.
Pulled pork, apple slaw and real 3 cheese mac and cheese....

Avo
26th October 2014, 07:27 PM
here's my sunday arvo...seeing I'm a cheap bastard I'm smoking a corned silverside..soaked in water for an hour,marinated overnight in marmalade(mrs homemade)and then glazed evrey hour with the marmalade,ginger,garlic and ginger...smoked in maple

Avo
26th October 2014, 08:58 PM
the end.....whacked a homemade boiled sausage in aswell for good measure..

Stropp
27th October 2014, 01:35 AM
Geez us Neil now I'm salivating!

threedogs
27th October 2014, 08:36 AM
@ wa489 now that looks awesome I love marmalade.
I take it you used Maple chips?

BigRAWesty
27th October 2014, 10:32 PM
Ok let's step it up. Lol.
Wife git admitted last night for 4 hours due to an over dose on the active ingredient in maxolon. The chemist gave her some migrane tablets but didn't say anything. So wife took doses of both to shake this gastro crap and we were in er for 4 hours with a servealy muscle cramped neck back face and throat.
Was scary shoit.
Anyway we had the feast tonight.
We had pulled pork and apple slaw on home made flat breads topped with the crackling and then a 2 cheese mac n cheese (half a kilo of cheese) lol
Enjoy

threedogs
28th October 2014, 09:33 AM
Looks good . glad the missus is ok,
WTF is "pulled pork" do you tamper
with for a while first lol never heard of it

BigRAWesty
28th October 2014, 10:39 AM
Exactly as it sounds.
Instead of slicing it you pull it or shred it.
It's a very American thing.

BigRAWesty
15th November 2014, 08:01 PM
So anyone been up to much?
I've started a craze down here between the hunting boys.
Wollies had a special on lamb this week.
5 of us smoking it lol.

Well I technically didn't smoke it.
Cooked over charcoal so it added a bit of flavour but that was it.
Rubbed with garlic salt and pepper and sprigs of rosemary inserted.
Cook for 5 hours in the smoker and 1 in the oven at 200 to finish off.
Served with roast pumpkin and sweet potato. And a rocket spinach walnut feta beetroot salad.
Enjoy

BigRAWesty
15th December 2014, 05:58 PM
So not meat.
But cheese lol.
Trying a cold smoke.
Will keep you updated.
The hardest bit with cheese is you have to let it rest. That's the hard bit

BigRAWesty
15th December 2014, 05:58 PM
I forgot the picture

threedogs
15th December 2014, 06:04 PM
I'll break out the smoker tomorrow and start getting , chips etc together

BigRAWesty
15th December 2014, 06:22 PM
Slacker.
For cheeses etc you need a cold smoke. So you don't melt it of course.
But enjoy the cooking. It really is something different

threedogs
15th December 2014, 06:35 PM
there will be plenty of PM's my friend plenty lol

threedogs
16th December 2014, 05:09 PM
here you go its called a Harvia Flandia, scandinavian I think.
see I have some hickory chips and some heat beads just need a foil liner I suppose

http://www.harvia.com/content/en/40/256/Flare%20smoker.html

BigRAWesty
16th December 2014, 09:46 PM
here you go its called a Harvia Flandia, scandinavian I think.
see I have some hickory chips and some heat beads just need a foil liner I suppose

http://www.harvia.com/content/en/40/256/Flare%20smoker.html

That'll work. Did you get my pm?

Beachbums
17th December 2014, 02:13 PM
Hi Kallen, Some of the guys let the cheese sit in a fridge with a loose gladwrap cover for a few days to mellow out a bit.
If you have a vac sealer try using that and sticking the cheese away for a while. Should hold for a few months in the back of the fridge and gets better with time.

Cheers, Wayne

threedogs
17th December 2014, 02:47 PM
Yes thanks Kallen all taken on board what flavour chips does everyone use ??
does a certain flavour suit different meats.
Ideas on what to try first as well please

Avo
17th December 2014, 05:15 PM
try a nice pork rack or beef rack straight up I reckon 3D.also on the first page I put a list up of what chips are good with what meats,if your on FB like The Smoke Shack page he's a mate of mine that owns and runs it,if ya get stuck message him,tell him you know me and he's help you out hopefully with all different types of info if you need it..

threedogs
17th December 2014, 05:24 PM
I'm making 10kg of smoked sausage this weekend,we make kabana and then just smoke them and cryovac them..dunno the recipe as I'm being shown at the same time.but my mate makes everything...just buys a whole pig or 2 and goes for it..
I know if you want here's a guide I have for my smoker
hickory-pork,beef,venison,wildgame.........considered by many the best wood for pork
pecan-pork,beef,venison,poultry........this is the best for wildboar
Mesquite-beef,venison,wildgame....strongest of the woods
cheery-poultry,vegetables,cheeses(YES cheeses)we smoke camemberre...frigging awesome..........sweet natural flavour,great with poultry and lighter foods.
apple-pork,poultry,wildturkey(not the drink)..............another great one for pork
Maple-seafood,poultry,wildturkey,vegetable,cheeses...... great for salmon and tuna steaks.
Alder-salmon,seafood.............excellent with any seafood
oak-beef,wildgame.pork...........good with wild game of beef

Cool I'll buy a pork belly or similar tomorrow and see how I go.
I have a few cans of cider so might soak the chips in that then dry em

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 05:46 PM
I'd say try a fatty. You can't mess them up lol. And make them however you like

janderson
22nd December 2014, 08:30 PM
Slacker.
For cheeses etc you need a cold smoke. So you don't melt it of course.
But enjoy the cooking. It really is something different

Smoking Cheese
First freeze the cheese. This will help prevent the cheese from melting.
I used a mix of rum soakers, red gum & apple-peach wood shavings.
Water in dish above the smoke box.
Gas burner on high until you start to see smoke. Only took about 5 to10 minutes on 1st try.
Place the cheese on a disposable aluminium dish.
Turned the Gas burner as low as possible. Rear air vent fully closed.
With the door open the temperature dropped down to 100C – 110C.
Place the cheese into smoker for 15 minutes (top shelf) and rest for 5 minutes with door closed. Temperature at about 225C.

janderson
22nd December 2014, 08:46 PM
Recipe for Smoking kangaroo Jerky
Two hand full’s of used rum soakers shavings. Put in dish and sock with Rum.
(Didn’t need much Rum) Let sit overnight.
Gas burner on high until you start to see smoke. Only took about 5 to10 minutes on 1st try.
Try putting in before lighting, Light on high. When smoke starts turn to minimum.
Hang in smoker. Rear air vent fully open.
Turned the Gas burner as low as possible.
The smoke lasted about 45 minutes. About 1 hour the temperature increased to about 125C.
Took 2 ½ to 3 hours to finish. End temperature was 140
Turned of Gas and Left the Jerky in smoker for another ½ hour.

The raw jerky was left in fridge for about 5 day after seasoning.
Cut into strips with the grain of the meat. (About ¼ inch thick)
Do not cut into small pieces. This was done after smoking.

5300353004C.

janderson
22nd December 2014, 08:50 PM
Smoking Peanuts
Brine Nuts first.
For 1Kg of peanuts. 1 cup salt to 1 Litre water and 2 heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic. Can also add Honey (3 or 4 table spoons) or Tabasco (5 or 6 shakes) Soak for 60 to 120 minutes.

I used red gum wood mixed with a little bit of Apple and Pear shavings.
Pat dry and place the peanuts on to trays. (2 separate trays) Give them a good spray with either Olive Oil spray or I prefer to use Garlic Infused Olive Oil spray.
Gas burner on high until you start to see smoke. Only took about 25 to30 minutes on 1st try.
Turned the Gas burner as low as possible. Rear air vent fully closed for 11/2 hours.. Should be 100C – 110C.
Place the peanuts into smoker for 1 1/2 hours on low with door closed. Top two shelfs. Then turn to high for a further 30 minutes with rear vent fully open for 1/2 hour. Turn of gas and leave door open to cool.
Temperature started at 110C and at the end was 250C.

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2014, 08:55 PM
Smoking Cheese
First freeze the cheese. This will help prevent the cheese from melting.
I used a mix of rum soakers, red gum & apple-peach wood shavings.
Place the cheese on a disposable aluminium dish.
Turned the Gas burner as low as possible. Rear air vent fully closed.
With the door open the temperature dropped down to 100C - 110C.
Place the cheese into smoker for 15 minutes (top shelf) and rest for 5 minutes with door closed. Temperature at about 225C.

Been told not to freeze it. It looses it's structure and the excessive moisture may add an acrid taste to it.

I simply cold smoked them. Kept the cooker around 20 degrees. Had 2x3l milk bottles of frozen water between pellet smoking tray and cheese. No melting.

janderson
22nd December 2014, 09:49 PM
Been told not to freeze it. It looses it's structure and the excessive moisture may add an acrid taste to it.

I simply cold smoked them. Kept the cooker around 20 degrees. Had 2x3l milk bottles of frozen water between pellet smoking tray and cheese. No melting.

I'v had no problems this way. Don't think my smoker will cold smoke.

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2014, 10:15 PM
You simply need a smoke generator (I have simply made a 40x40 x 300 trough from steel fly wire.
Fill with pellets and light from one end.
This means minimal heat. So all good in winter. But summer need cooling so you add the ice bricks.
You can buy the cold smoke generators. Pro Q do a nice one. About $70 delivered I think

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2014, 10:16 PM
How long do you leave the cheese innate smoker for?

BigRAWesty
10th January 2015, 05:02 PM
So back from holidays. Had to do it.
Today I'm smoking more cheese and some chillies which we had left over.
Cold smoking. Unsure if I'll dehydrate the chillies after or preserve them.

And then doing a long smoke tomorrow.
Pulled pork. Estimate it'll be around 10 hours.

BigRAWesty
10th January 2015, 05:02 PM
Sorry, forgot the picture

threedogs
10th January 2015, 05:20 PM
still been slack as but I placed my smoker outside and weather not the best lately.
plus waiting on some gear to arrive from Ebay.

BigRAWesty
10th January 2015, 05:45 PM
Did you get it happening the other week??

threedogs
25th January 2015, 02:23 PM
Ok getting closer I brought a 50mm piece of leg ham un-cooked of course,
my oven thermometer is here my hickory chips are soaked in cider and nice and dry.
Plenty of heat beads. SO,,,,,,,,, what's next
Trim all the fat off the piece of meat plus skin, place it on the wire rack and fire up the heat beads with the chips
on a foil tray. does that soung right

BigRAWesty
25th January 2015, 04:57 PM
Sorry for delay.
Soak the chips just before using. They need to be wet so the don't lite up.

And yea. Light the beads up. Get to the required temp you like and holding (so allow about an hour) and then once happy throw the chips in and the meat.
Keep an eye on it and internal temp.
Then enjoy

threedogs
25th January 2015, 06:04 PM
the chips were soaked in two cans of cider but I'll wet them with some water a tad and see what happens.
Its just a smokey oven right ?? I think I'm thinking too much about it.
Anyway if it fails I can put it in the house oven lol
How/where do YOU place the chips??
I'm getting excited could be creating a monster lol

BigRAWesty
25th January 2015, 08:08 PM
the chips were soaked in two cans of cider but I'll wet them with some water a tad and see what happens.
Its just a smokey oven right ?? I think I'm thinking too much about it.
Anyway if it fails I can put it in the house oven lol
How/where do YOU place the chips??
I'm getting excited could be creating a monster lol

Spot on. When using heat beads I simply place the wet chips straight on the coals.

outback
25th January 2015, 09:18 PM
On the mater of smoking cheese try smoking Halloumi cheese. It is a high temp melting cheese nornaly use to fry. The greek/Cyprus version is best vs Australian.

Ona different note you smokers still have not apparently tried smoking crocadile steaks. Some tryouts would help.
Threedods did you make any orders with this crowd?

BigRAWesty
25th January 2015, 10:25 PM
I have seen the Meats but shopping budget has stretched enough to buy a bit.

outback
25th January 2015, 11:54 PM
With the Halloumi cheese make sure its non australian. Reason, the Australian version is from cows milk and has alot of added salt. Some versions have added herbs.

The official version is sheep/goat milk though a bit salty not as horrible as the Australian version

threedogs
26th January 2015, 08:27 AM
On the mater of smoking cheese try smoking Halloumi cheese. It is a high temp melting cheese nornaly use to fry. The greek/Cyprus version is best vs Australian.

Ona different note you smokers still have not apparently tried smoking crocadile steaks. Some tryouts would help.
Threedods did you make any orders with this crowd?

Yet to make an order but my min order was $100 so waiting for funds
Marnie is the spokeperson and very helpfull

threedogs
26th January 2015, 12:14 PM
Here you go Kallen no turning back now, I have about 15 heat beads in that tray,
I also have another rack I can put on top of that one if I need higher temps.
IMO better to do it as slow as possible I can always put more heat beads on.
when the beads are all grey I'll put another tray of wet chips on top and see how that goes.
Only thing is I forgot to take the pork out of the freezer lol plenty of knives here ha ha
Getting excited now, this Havia smoker seems to work ok, yeah happy man atm
forgot the pics doh
According to the Havia site I atleast have the fire right, above that is a flat plate for the chips,
on that is another plate to catch the juices, then the wire rack with the thermometer on it.
I cant see how 15 heat beads will get the "chip plate" hot enough to start smoking. I'll figure it out. the receptionist at my Doctors is full of info
about smoking lol

what you see is the juice tray I have since put the chip tray underneath

Avo
26th January 2015, 12:46 PM
this should get ya taste buds working overload hot smoke camenbier,pork belly and then a pic of the smoker full..why waste smoke hey.these pics are from my mate and not mine either..

Avo
26th January 2015, 12:48 PM
here ya go,fresh from the smoke shack

threedogs
26th January 2015, 01:09 PM
mine hasnt even started smoking yet, and yes they look like food for thr Gods
I take it thats a bee's knees electric smoker??

LATE EDIT;; doesn't even look like the chips will start smoking, think I need a bigger fire ohh yeah

BigRAWesty
26th January 2015, 02:22 PM
Yea I don't think that's going to enough for a long burn. But will get you to 150+ degrees.
And they'll take a while to lite like that to. I use the snake method and a chimney lighter for the beads. Takes 15 mind to get 6 beads glowing and then you place them at the start of the snake.
But see how you go.
It's all trial and error mate

threedogs
26th January 2015, 03:13 PM
I'm going to make a frame or another hot plate that I can
slide in and have the heat beads closer to the chips.
Other than that I need to start a wood fire, and its easier to control heat with the beads

BigRAWesty
26th January 2015, 03:54 PM
Make a basket mate that has a devision on it so you can make a snake in it. Then you just load up according to how long you plan to cook for and slide it in. Keep it about an inch off the base, and make your devision wide enough so beads on the other side won't lite.
I get good temps out of a 5 bead snake. (2x2 and one on top)

threedogs
26th January 2015, 04:06 PM
for the time being I've raised the heat bead tray by placeing it on a couple of bricks,
Then my sons girlfriend said somethings burning hor ray, dashed out side and checked the temp it was 150c
and smoke every where, I only now just put the piece of pork leg on, It cant kget any hotter but will check in an hour and see the progress
bloody smokey but can see the neigbours coming around, but all the smoke stays in the cabinet.
that white container holds my chips I can keep them moist. that last lot burnt real quick

BigRAWesty
26th January 2015, 04:11 PM
for the time being I've raised the heat bead tray by placeing it on a couple of bricks,
Then my sons girlfriend said somethings burning hor ray, dashed out side and checked the temp it was 150c
and smoke every where, I only now just put the piece of pork leg on, It cant kget any hotter but will check in an hour and see the progress
bloody smokey but can see the neigbours coming around, but all the smoke stays in the cabinet.

Nice stuff mate. Yea it takes a while to get going. I'd even just throw some beads on in an hour if you need to keep it going.
How big is your cut of meat?

threedogs
26th January 2015, 04:16 PM
the cut is about 50mm x 150mm x 250mm I cut all the skin and fat off it

BigRAWesty
26th January 2015, 04:18 PM
Nice. So I'm thinking you'll be looking at 3-4 hours if you keep up the 150 temp

threedogs
26th January 2015, 04:36 PM
I have some old pots and pans from the 50's here so I'll make
a fire box out of one with legs to get the fire near the chip shield.
Should look ok plus recycling

threedogs
27th January 2015, 03:26 PM
@ Kallen I made this to hold the heat beads , it has a 3/8 base to it.
Boy do the chips burn fast once they dry out, , took the piece of meat out and finishing it in the oven.
It was way to time consuming or I need a proper smoker

BigRAWesty
27th January 2015, 05:44 PM
This is what I'm meaning mate

Over all yours is probably bigger smoker than mine. Mine is a keg.

I use the snake method in mine which that basket will produce but I do mine around the edge of the keg,
Similar to this
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=rSzHVN9io42bBdnWgMgJ&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DXiGRbyg_zeI&ved=0CBsQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHnM0SvKtfHeSZyNFvNHJMxvd9zsw&sig2=UxlXd4ZTwypJGx5QCR4YAg

threedogs
27th January 2015, 05:54 PM
cool the meat tasted crap but the dogs loved it, Ill invest in a proper smoker I think .
or look on U tube for converted Kegs .
I have a keg but its for spit roasts awesome unit
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMPANION-OUTDOOR-LP-GAS-MEAT-POULTRY-FISH-SMOKER-/151555354105?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item2349672df9

BigRAWesty
27th January 2015, 06:27 PM
Ok. So let's walk threw as anything can be a smoker.
Before buying check uds.
That stands for ugly drum smoker. It's simply a 44 gallon drum with a clip on lid, coal basket in the bottom and either a few shelves or a few hanging rods up top. A hole in the top and a hole with adjustable cover plate to control flow and that's it.
Ain't nothing fancy to a smoker.

Tasted like crap.
First question and probably the most basic. You did use BBQ charcoal??
There are other options out there and one of them is a heater only bricket that contains kerosene. Absolute bitch to start and pollutes the food.
So. Double check that.

Secondly. Your wood selection.
Only use a couple of chips at a time and keep the wet.
So as I mentioned before. I usually checkine hourly. If I was using chips I'd add a couple of fresh ones when needed and keep it at a maximum of 2-3 chips at a time, depending on size of course.

The next thing is lack of flow. Smoke does go stale and acidic. So if you don't have a flue in the top add one. You need the flow but don't make it to big or the smoke will just disappear.
My 50l keg I've simply removed the pick up and valve setup. So I have around a 35mm hole.
In the base I have 4 x 12mm holes which I can close up if I'm needing to slow it down. Haven't closed them yet.

So. Anything clicking there?

BigRAWesty
27th January 2015, 06:29 PM
Here is a how to for a uds set up
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Ugly-Drum-Smoker-UDS/

threedogs
17th February 2015, 11:17 AM
@ Kallen I have this keg , it is a spit. Now thinking this may work better.
It has a stainless steel tray to hold the heat beads, but this could now hold the chips.
I can put the beads in the base of the keg'
As per that last link is that all the wood[chips] you need ???
At least with this keg I can controll the heat better, cooks a mean roast.
used to take it to 4x4 shops in the morning and have it ready by lunch time. HHMMMmmmmmm

BigRAWesty
17th February 2015, 12:15 PM
@ Kallen I have this keg , it is a spit. Now thinking this may work better. It has a stainless steel tray to hold the heat beads, but this could now hold the chips. I can put the beads in the base of the keg' As per that last link is that all the wood[chips] you need ??? At least with this keg I can controll the heat better, cooks a mean roast. used to take it to 4x4 shops in the morning and have it ready by lunch time. HHMMMmmmmmm

If you can get an indirect heat then yea.
So maybe a thick piece of stainless plate to cover 2/3 of the bottom, fire under that and the place roast on one of your trivets above it. So the heat comes threw and smoke comes around the open end.
If that makes sense.
But yea just throw a few chips at a time around the coals when wet. You want smoke, not flame.
I got given heaps of chips the other day so I'll be using chips to soon

threedogs
17th February 2015, 12:21 PM
Ill set it up later and take a pic so you can see what I have
I do have a nice piece of perforated 6mm stainless I picked up at the laser cutters.
That might come in handy

BigRAWesty
17th February 2015, 12:32 PM
As long as you can block the direct heat as being so close to the source it'll but the under side

threedogs
15th May 2015, 11:50 AM
On the morning show they used smoked salt go figure

growler2058
15th May 2015, 12:32 PM
Google biltong. It's South African a bloke at work bought me in some farkin good and easy to make 3 days

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

threedogs
15th May 2015, 12:40 PM
http://www.food.com/recipe/south-african-biltong-309886
its not jerky so dont confuse the two, looks awesome

BigRAWesty
15th May 2015, 04:34 PM
Yea smoked salt. Check it out bloke. I tried some but wasn't successful lol.
Haven't tried it since.

You can pretty much smoke anything. It's all personal taste

growler2058
15th May 2015, 07:11 PM
http://www.food.com/recipe/south-african-biltong-309886
its not jerky so dont confuse the two, looks awesome

Correct its HEAPS better

Maxhead
11th July 2015, 06:59 PM
Quick smoking session this afternoon after brineing these pieces for 3 hrs in salt sugar garlic chilli . Few chook pieces a long shlong of pork and a couple bits of king fish

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/99.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/100.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/101.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/102.jpg

..........on the move

threedogs
13th July 2015, 09:23 AM
Two things I saw the other day they use coffee to rub on beef before roasting different.
Plus can somebody find the link to the Croc/buff place in south Aust, please
That looks awesome NH absolutely awesome

BigRAWesty
13th July 2015, 11:27 AM
Here is one coffee one.
I'm gunnar try it
http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/coffee-rubbed-texas-brisket

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

threedogs
13th July 2015, 01:28 PM
Yeah looks cool The coffee I heard was just the left overs from an Expresso machine.
Cant be any worse than coke a cola beef lol and that tastes great as well

BigRAWesty
13th July 2015, 01:41 PM
Yea but only 1 table spoon

AB
13th July 2015, 06:08 PM
I need to show my brother this thread.

He has a smoker and the ribs he has done are terrible. Like a dried up horse salt lick!!!

BigRAWesty
14th July 2015, 10:18 AM

He has a smoker and the ribs he has done are terrible. Like a dried up horse salt lick!!!
Get him to research the 3-2-1 method for ribs.
Cant fark em then.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Avo
1st May 2017, 09:48 PM

He has a smoker and the ribs he has done are terrible. Like a dried up horse salt lick!!! AB show MB these. ... last weekend matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/7.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

MB
2nd May 2017, 06:56 AM
Looks delicious AVO mate. Obviously much better than the ribs I made AB back in 2015 above, lol :-)

Hilux man
2nd May 2017, 07:19 AM
AB show MB these. ... last weekend matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/7.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Dam they look good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk