PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle communications

havenfun2014
30th September 2014, 08:52 PM
Am about to travel and would love some information in regards to CB radio's and aerials. I need it for communicating with trucks and surrounding vehicles. Not much more. I will be the old fart (middle aged) that everyone rips past. But I want to be able to speak to the truckies for safety on the roads, overtaking and alike.

Regards

Phil

macca
30th September 2014, 09:01 PM
Mate if you can get hold of a 40 channel UHF.

The new 80 channel units sound quiet on a receiving 40, which is a real PITA.

The 40's will be good for years to come as long as you don't need channel 41 - 80.

I have an 80, it was so bad I got the 40 repaired and put it back in. Much better.

tikashooter
30th September 2014, 09:25 PM
I've had no issues with my car mounted Uniden 80 channel unit. I also carry a 40 channel 5 watt hand held with mic attached which I've had no issues with receiving 'volume' from a 80 channel unit.
Depends on whom I'm travelling with - ones set for the convoy the other ones set on 40 to speak with truckies or whom ever ( I'm lazy cannot be bothered changing channels )
I hope this helps, after all it comes down to personal preference, budget and its intended use.
Cheers, I hope all goes well with your trip.

the evil twin
30th September 2014, 09:31 PM
Am about to travel and would love some information in regards to CB radio's and aerials. I need it for communicating with trucks and surrounding vehicles. Not much more. I will be the old fart (middle aged) that everyone rips past. But I want to be able to speak to the truckies for safety on the roads, overtaking and alike.

Regards

Phil

For your useage I recommend that you forgo a vehicle set and all the hassles and purchase a handheld UHF CB of at least three Watts power (not a dinky little $50 1 watter)
No need to wire up antennas, run power, mount transcievers and most will take an extension speaker/handset if needed

For example here is a 3 watt GME with oodles of range for what you want, optional handpiece and under $210 http://www.prestigecom.net.au/GME-TX685-3-Watt-80-Channel-UHF-CB-Radio-with-Speaker-Microphone.

Over the air noone will be able to tell the difference between that and a 5 watt vehicle mounted set.

No brainer I reckon

doka404
2nd October 2014, 07:17 AM
The other option if you dont want a permanent mount is one of the portable gme tx3100's

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GME-TX3100-ANTENNA-PORTABLE-PLUG-N-PLAY-80-CHANNEL-UHF-CB-RADIO-5W-80CH-MOBILE-/400409369669

threedogs
2nd October 2014, 08:57 AM
In convoy situation a decent 5 watt hand held may suit your needs , not sure on legalities on using a hand held UHF.
I know you can use an in dash unit in Vic, maybe some one know the rulings.
If you want a base camp set up again a decent 5watt in dash unit with a good antenna, might suit your needs.

Or you could just Velcro a unit to the out side of the centre console ,
use a magnetic antenna base and plug it into your cigarette lighter for power.
No drilling

sooty_10
2nd October 2014, 09:28 AM
I have my icom-400pro velcroed to my dash under the dash mat, just a temporary install until I get around to either making a roof console or sorting out another location. Works well there, I actually drilled a hole through the dash behind the removable panel above the glove box (second glovebox area) for the cables.

TPC
2nd October 2014, 09:49 AM
Handheld radio's are not allowed to be used while driving in SA, same as mobile phones but they allow the use of fixed units.
I would think it would be the same in Vic.

threedogs
2nd October 2014, 09:49 AM
My unit is hidden under the dash with the mic on the centre console drivers side ,
but will be changing that so the passenger has something to do whether 4x4ing or convoy driving