PDA

View Full Version : GU tyres

Bruce5240
26th February 2011, 09:09 AM
Any one had problems with Pirelli ATRs or Bridgestone D694 LTs on their patrol, I have Tempra Trailcutters in LT285/70 17 that have done just under 30Ks and are about half worn, about 2 years old, but have become extremely slippery in wet weather bordering on dangerous. My wife refuses to drive the vehicle in wet weather and I don't blame her. The dealer I bought the tyres off in FNQ has offered me a good trade in but only on a set of RADAR tyres( Indonesian) as he is dealing in mainly that type of tyre. I am a bit reluctant to go down that path so was looking at the above tyres
Anybody with any comments
Cheers
Bruce

YNOT
26th February 2011, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forum Bruce. It's always nice to post up an introduction before asking questions.

What sort of driving do you do and are you planning to do?

Tony

big_fletch
27th February 2011, 02:42 PM
As Tony said you need to tell us abit more about what sort of driving you are going to be doing??
Welcome to the forum, Post up a introduction here buddy
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

Bruce5240
27th February 2011, 08:01 PM
Only looking for AT tyres, majority of driving is on road but try to get away long weekend and school hols, usually up the Cape around Lakefield, around the Mitchell etc, not into any hardcore anymore. 4WD monthly did a comparo back in 2006 and the Pirelli AT did very well allround so was looking at them or D694 Bridgestones. Not interested in the Coopers, from what I have read on all the forums seem overated and overpriced. The Trailcutters that I currently have are made in the Coopers factory although probably not the same spec
Cheers
Bruce

Whitewulf
1st March 2011, 09:52 AM
Hi Bruce,
I have had the Bridgestone D694 LT, not a bad tyer.
VERY good in the wet on the blacktop, used them out in the Gem fields and Longreach, similar tracks to Lakefield. For light 4x cant go wrong with the D649lt's in my 2 cents.

jaxt
1st March 2011, 04:42 PM
mickey t' atz 4 rib are an aggressive AT ....works good in emergency braking sitution.
have you thought of them?
otherwise they (tyres you mentioned above) both look similar to each other..with pirelli's being the cheaper out of the two of them last time I checked and kevlars in side walls.

wogboy
1st March 2011, 05:52 PM
I've got Pirelli ATR but on Territory with 18'' rims and the grip is excellent. Probably they are not going to last like some other brands but so far with 10000 kms on them there is no noticable wear.

Bruce5240
1st March 2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies, having trouble getting the exact size I was after in the Pirelli (265/70 R17 LT)
my local supplier tells me they are hard to get in that size as mainly used in USA on F250 size vehicles.
Was after that size to get the 121 load rating as I tow a fairly heavy Cape York camper trailer and have managed to poke rocks through the tread on the Trailcutters I have fitted at the moment.
The Trailcutters are a larger size at 285/70 17 which gives an OD of about 830 mm, what I have found that I can't hold top gear so well (Auto Patrol) while towing against a head wind or up any sort of incline so was going back to something close to standard arround 790 mm to bring the gearing back down.
There is a Pirelli at 275/65 that gives an OD of 790 but the load rating drops slightly to 118 so probably will be the tyre I end up with.
Also a Pajero at work is fitted with D694s in 17 inch and the best mileage they have got out of back tyres is 20000 Ks so was a bit concerned about this, probably driven harder with an average load always in the vehicle but still would have expected a little more. This is only 1 example as there are plenty of satisfied customes out there.
Mickey Ts seem to be hard to get hold of up here and the local dealer who sells Coopers also is a bit hard to stomach
A bit more thought required yet
Cheers
Bruce

jaxt
2nd March 2011, 12:48 PM
why not just go the coopers and forget about the dealer?
or did you mean the coopers are hard to stomach?
what about other dealers in the area?

Pete's GU3
5th March 2011, 09:17 PM
Hi Bruce,
I have had the Bridgestone D694 LT, not a bad tyer.
VERY good in the wet on the blacktop, used them out in the Gem fields and Longreach, similar tracks to Lakefield. For light 4x cant go wrong with the D649lt's in my 2 cents.

yeah ...i agree i have them to..very good tyre in wet and road also good in light dirt

Black Rock
16th March 2011, 11:20 AM
Pirelli Scorpion ATR and MICHELIN Latitude Cross - very popular in 4X4 community over here
good luck- whatsoever come on your wheels