PDA

View Full Version : GU 3lt Turbo Wagon

Gunna76
28th September 2014, 04:03 PM
Hi all,
I have a 04 GU 3lt turbo wagon that I have bundled the family up and currently traveling around OZ. Other than a snorkel and 2" lift kit, she's pretty standard. I have owned the old girl for 5yrs and never had an issue. It's my pride and joy. If anyone would ask what car to get, there is only one answer. We have a small Jayco camper being towed behind, but just recently, I have started to hear a noise when I engage the clutch to go into gear. A kind of "whirring" noise. I'm a bit worried that it maybe expensive. Any thoughts on what it maybe?

Bob
28th September 2014, 04:47 PM
It could be the Thrust Bearing that engages when you depress the Clutch.
My last GQ had that for 10,000 odd k's without doing any damage but would have it checked out by a Mechanic.

Gunna76
28th September 2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks Bob

Dr Gary
30th September 2014, 08:46 AM
These GUs have a two part flywheel for balance. My clutch failed at 70,000 km but symptoms were slipping, not noise. I would agree with "Bob", sounds like a thrust bearing.
It is QUITE a job to drop the gearbox to replace it.

Stropp
30th September 2014, 12:49 PM
yes i agree more than likely a thrust bearing

fitzyfootlong
9th October 2014, 09:31 AM
good time to do the clutch while the box is out too mate

Gunna76
12th October 2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Turned to be the bearing between the two piece fly wheel and an after market crap clutch. Have had all replaced along with the rear main seal. Not a cheap exercise. At least there is peace of mind now.