PDA

View Full Version : What did you learn today thread...

NP99
27th September 2014, 08:06 PM
As a spin off to my other thread I thought I'd start this so that we can all contribute. Any subject any topic (excluding the normal banned ones)

I have a mate of mine, every night at the dinner table, him, his wife and two kids ask the question of each other. They all have to state one new thing that enriched their learning that day :)

Over to you:

Bloodyaussie
27th September 2014, 08:08 PM
To become more cynical as most people are lying dogs!!!!!! right Andy!!!

AB
27th September 2014, 09:14 PM
Don't wire up an arb compressor after a grand final and 26 beers.

mudnut
27th September 2014, 09:21 PM
Don't wire up an arb compressor after a grand final and 26 beers.

Why? Did you wire it up so it sucked.

AB
27th September 2014, 10:57 PM
Why? Did you wire it up so it sucked.

Just took a lot longer then expected...lol

TPC
27th September 2014, 10:58 PM
At least you didnt blow it up.

boots
27th September 2014, 11:24 PM
Riding the Eildon to Jamieson road on a motorcycle is absolutely awesome .

mudski
27th September 2014, 11:39 PM
Riding the Eildon to Jamieson road on a motorcycle is absolutely awesome .

Yeah done that road too. Love to do it in a drift car though.

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2014, 01:31 AM
Plenty of imbeciles play poker and win.
Need to play like an imbecile too.

threedogs
28th September 2014, 07:38 AM
have learn't anything yet, but still early in the day

growler2058
28th September 2014, 07:59 AM
To become more cynical as most people are lying dogs!!!!!! right Andy!!!

YES! Young grasshopper. ;)

NP99
28th September 2014, 06:43 PM
The wheel flares used on the mad max XB interceptor were from a Torana SLR 5000

Rocket55
29th September 2014, 07:52 AM
when you pull the centre consol out, don't forhet to reconnect the aerial and transmission switch before putting it back together, well I'm hoping that's what I've done as both those switches no longer work...

NP99
29th September 2014, 07:04 PM
The original Superman character envisioned by Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster was not the crime-fighting hero from another world we know today. Instead, they made him a bald bad guy set on ruling the world in the 1933 The Reign of Superman. In this story, a character by the name of Bill Dunn is waiting in a soup kitchen line when Professor Ernest Smalley offers him food and new clothes in exchange for his participation in an experiment.

The Professor proceeds to give him a potion that makes Dunn telepathic; he then becomes a super-man, and tries to take over the world. However, in the process, he kills Professor Smalley, only to discover later that his powers are temporary unless he has more potion to drink, which he can’t figure out how to recreate. Ultimately, the former Superman finds himself without his powers and back in the soup kitchen line.

A year after writing that story, Siegel re-cast the character of Superman, this time making him a hero bent on righting the wrongs prominent in society at the time. They also decided to switch Superman’s name from “Bill Dunn” to “Clark Kent,” after famed actors Kent Taylor and Clark Gable.

kevin07
29th September 2014, 08:20 PM
much to my disgust that Victoria is more beautiful than nsw. bright is awesome

NP99
29th September 2014, 08:55 PM

Indeed, even better in the snow season...

NP99
30th September 2014, 05:46 PM
Scotty from Star Trek was Canandian not Scottish!

mudnut
30th September 2014, 06:27 PM
That it is gunna take our new Oz trail mattress 24 hours to fully inflate, first time.

MEGOMONSTER
30th September 2014, 08:09 PM
My mother and 30 others at a funeral today, that umbrellas are only good on rainy days and not windy days.
As everyone's umbrella were destroyed the instant they opened them up.
Just thought I'd share, mum just made the story so much more dramatic.

TPC
30th September 2014, 08:19 PM
That it is gunna take our new Oz trail mattress 24 hours to fully inflate, first time.

Why so long?

taslucas
30th September 2014, 09:37 PM

Why so long?

Because he's laying on it

Drewboyaus
30th September 2014, 10:20 PM

Duh..... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Drewboyaus
30th September 2014, 10:25 PM
That apparently writing "Patrols Rule" in the dirt on the back of some blokes 200 series is a mortal sin.......and will permanently mark the paint until someone can be bothered to give it a light cut...
DILLIGAF

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

mudnut
1st October 2014, 12:26 AM
Why so long?

As I walked out of the store, another salesperson called out and told us to leave the mattress to expand for at least 24 hours, before use. I think they must use a powerful vacuum when they pack them at the factory. It was only a couple of cm thick when I rolled it out. It has been left for 6 hours now and is just starting to look like the one on display in the shop.

NP99
1st October 2014, 05:54 PM
At one time, it was common to use spider silk as a thread for crosshairs in optical instruments such as telescopes, microscopes and telescopic rifle sights.

threedogs
1st October 2014, 06:38 PM
when the battery place says they will deliver my new AUX battery today, they really mean tomorrow. lol

macca
1st October 2014, 06:43 PM
At one time, it was common to use spider silk as a thread for crosshairs in optical instruments such as telescopes, microscopes and telescopic rifle sights.

Saw a doco on TV about an old Brit collecting spider web early in the morning when it was covered in dew. He undid the web rolling it up for use in rifle scopes.

Do they still use it today?

NP99
1st October 2014, 07:43 PM
Saw a doco on TV about an old Brit collecting spider web early in the morning when it was covered in dew. He undid the web rolling it up for use in rifle scopes.

Do they still use it today?

I don't think so.

NP99
2nd October 2014, 05:34 PM
In extraordinary scenes filmed for a new documentary, young dolphins were seen carefully manipulating a certain kind of puffer fish which, if provoked, releases a nerve toxin.

Though large doses of the toxin can be deadly, in small amounts it is known to produce a narcotic effect, and the dolphins appeared to have worked out how to make the fish release just the right amount.

Carefully chewing on the puffer and passing it between one another, the marine mammals then enter what seems to be a trance-like state.

Cuppa
2nd October 2014, 05:38 PM
In extraordinary scenes filmed for a new documentary, young dolphins were seen carefully manipulating a certain kind of puffer fish which, if provoked, releases a nerve toxin.

Though large doses of the toxin can be deadly, in small amounts it is known to produce a narcotic effect, and the dolphins appeared to have worked out how to make the fish release just the right amount.

Carefully chewing on the puffer and passing it between one another, the marine mammals then enter what seems to be a trance-like state.

Gotta link?

EDIT: ’Tis ok, I found it. Wow! https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dolphins+narcotic+

threedogs
2nd October 2014, 05:45 PM
Just read an article today on FUGU it takes over 2 years to become an expert on preparing it.
PPl still die from incorrectly prepared FUGU[puffer fish] or toad as we call them

NP99
3rd October 2014, 06:28 PM
That we lost the emu war.....this is a true story, below is a funnier version of the true event. You can google the real details.

The Emu War, also known as the Great Emu War, was a war fought between the country of Australia and a flock of emus. It is still remembered in Australia today as the greatest defeat ever incurred on the Australian nation and her subjects. It was fought from the 2nd to the 8th November 1932 between 20,000 emus, under the command of the Lord High Emu, and 2 soldiers of the 7th Heavy Battery, Royal Australian Artillery under the command of Major G.P.W. Meredith. Each soldier was equipped with a Lewis Machine Gun, 10,000 rounds of ammunition, and both had received an award in clay pigeon shooting.

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2014, 07:30 PM
I learnt that I must be a dickhead.
Nearly fell for a scam.
Must be an idiot hay

TPC
3rd October 2014, 07:54 PM
Nearly fell for a scam.
Must be an idiot hay
They are getting bloody clever with them these days.
I almost answered an email scam recently as it was from my bank and looked the same as what they send but it was on the wrong email address.
The a$$holes doing this are making a lot of money and obviously do not have any morals.

NP99
3rd October 2014, 08:31 PM
Nearly fell for a scam.
Must be an idiot hay

No mate, scammers are professionals!

NP99
4th October 2014, 06:09 PM
The lion used in the original MGM movie logo killed its trainer and two assistants the day after the logo was filmed.

AB
4th October 2014, 07:18 PM
That life is what you make of it...

NP99
4th October 2014, 08:32 PM
That life is what you make of it...

So true mate. You only get what you put in to it...

NP99
5th October 2014, 06:12 PM

Punderhead
5th October 2014, 08:14 PM

I suffer majorly from this

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2014, 05:07 AM
Getting up is hard after daylight savings times are changed.

threedogs
6th October 2014, 08:20 AM
Learn't heaps of things over the weekend , but alas gold fish syndrome set in.
It may return one day lol

threedogs
6th October 2014, 10:08 AM
Camp pie is made from cow teats [udder]
go figure
Fish sticks are made from tripe
go figure again

NP99
6th October 2014, 11:54 AM
Camp pie is made from cow teats [udder]
go figure
Fish sticks are made from tripe
go figure again

And pig fat is used in a lot of rubbish we eat

NP99
6th October 2014, 05:49 PM
England = England
Britain= England + Wales
Great Britain= England + Wales + Scotland
UK = England + Wales + Scotland + Northern Ireland

Stropp
6th October 2014, 06:56 PM
i learn"t once again that i cant have what i want :(

NP99
6th October 2014, 07:10 PM
i learn"t once again that i cant have what i want :(

It's a tough world mate, Megan Fox and I can't have each other..... :)

NP99
7th October 2014, 05:56 PM
Price new 1971: $5300 Value 2007: $683,500 Value 2008: close to $1 million Value 2010: $331, 000

The Phase III GT is one of the few cars ever made that appreciated in value from the moment it left the dealership - even in 1975, four year old Phase IIIs were fetching prices equivalent to or higher than the on-road price of brand new XB GTs from Ford dealers.

Rocket55
7th October 2014, 08:33 PM
I learnt that every time I ring Superior Engineering I get a different answer, making it very difficult to work out what's what, especially when most of what they say contradicts with the word of the punters out on the tracks ...

DX grunt
7th October 2014, 08:56 PM
I learnt that Clunk will never change. lol

Clunk
7th October 2014, 09:35 PM
I learnt that Clunk will never change. lol

Once a Clunk always a Clunk......... you wouldn't have it any other way hahahahaha

NP99
8th October 2014, 04:28 PM
The hottest temperature recorded on earth is not as hot as previously thought, after the World Meteorological Organisation declared the phenomenal 58 degrees recorded in Libya 90 years ago was wrong.

Instead, the sizzling title goes to Death Valley, California, where in July 1913, a top temperature of 56.7 degrees was recorded.

That compares to Australia's highest recorded temperature of 50.7 degrees, recorded in Oodnadatta, South Australia, in January 1960

NP99
9th October 2014, 06:00 PM
The official version is Repco is an abbreviation of Replacement Parts Company. Yep, heard all the unofficial ones too :)

MEGOMONSTER
9th October 2014, 08:52 PM
That headaches are being given to me , cos they reckon I can get the job done.

NP99
10th October 2014, 03:34 PM
A brand new rear caliper for an EA falcon is $1300. That's more than the car is worth. A reco unit cost me $131.

katwoman
10th October 2014, 03:37 PM
That telstra don't have local offices any more, so you don't burn them down !

fitzyfootlong
10th October 2014, 03:52 PM
drilling through a bolt hole to run a wire so you don't have to drill a hole in your pride and joy!

fitzyfootlong
10th October 2014, 03:53 PM
sorry, meant to say drilling a hole through a bolt... Friday afternoon.. need Beer..

NP99
10th October 2014, 04:24 PM
http://youtu.be/dq6T5BojXc8

I've been using it wrong all these years...

NP99
11th October 2014, 03:59 PM
It's been a long time coming but Randwick woman Vi Robbins is now the oldest person in Australia at 112 years of age.
Mrs Robbins takes over the title from Jane Gray, who died on Saturday at her Smithfield nursing home.
When Mrs Robbins was born on February 28, 1902, Edmund Barton was prime minister, Australia was fighting the second Boer War and Brisbane was yet to be declared a city. Orville and Wilbur Wright were still working on their idea for a flying machine and the invention of the personal computer was 75 years away.

NP99
12th October 2014, 05:28 PM
My two dogs bark and carry on when the good parts of Bathurst are on. I have to go out and shut them up.....grrrrrr

mudnut
13th October 2014, 02:12 PM
I learned that Australia was not invited to be part of USA's war cabinet, during the Vietnam War.

93patrol
13th October 2014, 05:27 PM
When have we ever been invited to a war cabinet by the yanks?? Lol

NP99
13th October 2014, 07:05 PM
I learned that Australia was not invited to be part of USA's war cabinet, during the Vietnam War.

If you ever get a chance to visit Vietnam you will be in awe and just ask yourself why? 500 odd Australians for nothing.....
Such beautiful people and landscapes.....

boots
13th October 2014, 07:13 PM
In 1995 actor Liam Neeson knocked back the roll of James Bond because he did not want to do action films.. What the ?

Clunk
13th October 2014, 07:32 PM
In 1995 actor Liam Neeson knocked back the roll of James Bond because he did not want to do action films.. What the ?

obviously wanted to wait for the next big role after Schindler's List.......................... didn't quite work out though hey lol

NP99
13th October 2014, 08:51 PM
He will find you and kill you though :)

NP99
14th October 2014, 04:51 PM
Taken 3 is being released in January 2015

lhurley
14th October 2014, 05:49 PM
Taken 3 is being released in January 2015

And Liam Neeson only agreed to the role in the 3rd movie, as long as no one is actually 'taken'

NP99
14th October 2014, 08:41 PM
And Liam Neeson only agreed to the role in the 3rd movie, as long as no one is actually 'taken'

One less in the family to be taken now...