PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need a towing A-Frame to suit an ARB bar.

AJoz
27th September 2014, 08:01 PM
G'day all.
A mate had to abandon his (formerly) trusty GQ on a recent desert trip.
He is planning a recovery trip next week and needs to borrow an A-Frame that will bolt to an ARB bar.
Any assistance would be appreciated. In SA or Alice Springs would be good.

BigRAWesty
27th September 2014, 09:43 PM
Bugga mate. Are you thinking of pulling from the 2 hoop points in the front of the car??

NP99
27th September 2014, 10:08 PM
Could be wrong, but I thought A frames were illegal.

NP99
27th September 2014, 10:22 PM
Sorry, my bad -

Other important information about A-framing in each state

Certification :

NSW :

Persons contemplating the use of an A-frame towing device must obtain an engineering certificate from an RTA recognised engineering signatory

VIC :

“Unless the A-Frame is a proprietary item that has been designed and is appropriately marked as being suitable for the make and model of the towed vehicle, the A-Frames and connecting hardware, including the connection of the A-frame and safety chains to the towed vehicle, must be certified by a VASS Signatory.”

QLD : None

SA : None

NT:

Unless the A-Frame is a proprietary item that has been designed and is appropriately marked as being suitable for the make and model of the towed vehicle, the A-Frames and connecting hardware, including the connection of the A-frame and safety chains to the towed vehicle, must be certified by a recognised engineering signatory.

WA :

Obtaining the assistance of an Engineering Signatory to confirm that an “A”-frame towing vehicle combination and “A”-frame coupling apparatus meet the requirements of this Information Bulletin is recommended.

This bulletin provides a guide for the individual seeking approval for the simple (un-braked) “A”-frame towing of a small motor vehicle. Persons who wish to tow vehicles equipped with proprietary or individually constructed systems incorporating braking of the towed vehicle will need to seek advice from their respective Road Transport Authority.

Regarding A-framing in other states :

NSW :

“A-frame towing may not be acceptable in other states or territories. Owners should check directly with the relevant road authority of their state/territories requirement.”

VIC :

Persons who tow a registered motor vehicle in accordance with this information sheet will be able to tow legally in all States and Territories.

QLD :

Persons living in other states will need to check with the Road Transport Authority in which their vehicle is registered to determine individual state requirements for the towing of vehicles with “A” frames.

SA : None

NT : None

WA :

Persons who tow vehicles in accordance with this bulletin will be able to tow legally in all States and Territories. However, in order to ensure that potential problems with enforcement officers are minimised, it is recommended that a copy of this bulletin, together with any reports, approvals or other documentation, is carried in the vehicle at all times.

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2014, 10:39 PM
What is wrong with the vehicle? Exactly? Does he know anyone with Top RACV cover. Is so then ask them to go with him. They can have the vehicle Towed as if it is theirs. Very simple. I have it and if I came across a stranded vehicle I could call the RACV and have it towed for them.

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2014, 10:42 PM
Alternatively. Tell him to join the top cover of RACV tomorrow. Get up there next week and call them. It's not unreasonable tha he joined the RACV the day before he left for a big trip for just in case this exact thing happened.

AJoz
27th September 2014, 10:59 PM
Water pump let go, overheated and cracked the head. Its in the desert about 1000km West of Alice. Roadside assist aint going out there! LOL

Winnie
27th September 2014, 11:00 PM
Water pump let go, overheated and cracked the head. Its in the desert about 1000km West of Alice. Roadside assist aint going out there! LOL

No but they should pay someone to go get it... It's part of the deal

TPC
27th September 2014, 11:05 PM
No but they should pay someone to go get it... It's part of the deal
I could be wrong but i believe it needs to be on a gazetted road.

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2014, 11:43 PM
Yes it needs to be a gazetted road. Assuming you can tow it on a 20m strap then that's what I'd do for the trip out of the desert then call the RACV. Get it to where they can help. Getting there with whatever it takes. Take everything out of it to lighten it up as much as you can and drag it out of there.

An A frame would not be useable in the desert anyways I would not think. Get someone with an Iveco 4x4 to drag it across or go hire one. Then RACV.

Good luck mate. Let the tyres right down and go for it.

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2014, 11:47 PM
Is it insured? What have they said? If its on a Gazetted road or depending on the cover it would be insurable for sure. My insurance would give me cover as long as the track is on a map. Total Loss.

threedogs
28th September 2014, 08:01 AM
an "A" frame would be useless in the desert for retrieving a vehicle, If you are near Birdsville Barnsey can go pick up the Vehicle but it aint cheap.
Could be as much as $20 a kilometre, whats the nearest service centre??

Winnie
28th September 2014, 08:25 AM
an "A" frame would be useless in the desert for retrieving a vehicle, If you are near Birdsville Barnsey can go pick up the Vehicle but it aint cheap.
Could be as much as $20 a kilometre, whats the nearest service centre??

We spoke to someone at the Birdsville pub who got towed from half an hour West of big red and I think it cost him 8k?
I would have towed him for 5k!

threedogs
28th September 2014, 08:50 AM
It aint cheap and at $5K he would of had a bargain IMO

macca
28th September 2014, 09:32 AM
As the engine has failed there are no power assisted steering or brakes, a vehicle capable of towing would benefit from a rigid connection wouldn't they?

Better than a strap which would need to be kept fairly short due to changes in direction at the top of the ridges.

Be a bugger of a tow and the being in the towed vehicle would be the most unpleasant ride ever.

NP99
28th September 2014, 09:50 AM
I'd be looking at using a car trailer...

my third 256
28th September 2014, 09:55 AM
what about a car trailer tandom wheels
look around for the best one to suit your needs

MudRunnerTD
28th September 2014, 10:18 AM
I reckon you'd struggle to tow a tandem car trailer across the desert. Dump the power steering fluid and disconnect the hoses so you are only steering the steering box and not having to pump the fluid and it will be strong arm but fine. The brakes won't be great but your in soft sand and that won't really be a problem. Use the hand brake if you need to.

A good length strap so you have some space and then momentum. Nice smooth climbs and rolls over the dunes. See if you can get a tow vehicle on 35s and lockers and a decent winch. If you had to you could winch the car over a dune. If you can keep good momentum you will get the hang of it. I really think your struggle towing a loaded tandem car trailer out there though. And it'd be a biatch to winch up and over.

MudRunnerTD
28th September 2014, 10:21 AM
If you still struggle then swap the 35s to the tow vehicle and let them down to 13. It will float and less likely to bog down.

threedogs
28th September 2014, 10:25 AM
Barnsey has an ex military tilt tray for just this purpose, but you'll pay for it .
He has a mobile home to slide on when he takes a break other than that its his desert recovery vehicle.
As he says most break down these days are computer generated the Disco being the worst, they don't like dust according to him.
where exactly is the Patrol? 1000 west if Alice is a bit Vauge

liftlid
28th September 2014, 10:56 AM
If it's 1000 km west of Alice it's more in the tanami or the canning ? so could be fairly flat. I'd be tempted to take what I needed to temp fix it out there?

MudRunnerTD
28th September 2014, 11:32 AM

If it's 1000 km west of Alice it's more in the tanami or the canning ? so could be fairly flat. I'd be tempted to take what I needed to temp fix it out there?

I agree. Take a shade tent and set it up. Take a new head and some spanners and get it done. If you have to find a good mechanic to take a couple of weeks annual leave and then pay them $2000 to ride with you your still on a winner. Assuming that's all that's wrong with it.

NP99
28th September 2014, 12:08 PM
Yes it needs to be a gazetted road. Assuming you can tow it on a 20m strap then that's what I'd do for the trip out of the desert then call the RACV. Get it to where they can help. Getting there with whatever it takes. Take everything out of it to lighten it up as much as you can and drag it out of there.

An A frame would not be useable in the desert anyways I would not think. Get someone with an Iveco 4x4 to drag it across or go hire one. Then RACV.

Good luck mate. Let the tyres right down and go for it.

Not sure RACV would travel interstate :)

Winnie
28th September 2014, 12:26 PM

Racv covers Australia wide. Obviously they will pay someone to come and get you.
My mates 3L GU broke down in WA with camper trailer and dog. They towed his car and trailer back to his house, got his family and dog accommodation for a couple of days so they could organise everything, then flew the family and dog home and the next day his car and trailer showed up at his house. Best $150 ever spent

MudRunnerTD
28th September 2014, 12:43 PM

Yeah they have reciprocal rights and deals with all the Auto Clubs RACV, NRMA, RACQ, etc. does not matter who or where you are, the State based Royal Auto will take care of you.

Mad not to be in it if your touring.

Also, with the top RACV cover it is the Customer covered, not the car! I have Top cover, have named my wife's car as the named vehicle so she is covered. then it does not matter what car i am driving or am in i can cover that vehicle. If i came across you on a country road my cover would get YOU Towed as long as i was there.

Alitis007
28th September 2014, 01:23 PM
. If i came across you on a country road my cover would get YOU Towed as long as i was there.
But you need to say you were driving the vehicle that broke down.

krbrooking
28th September 2014, 01:26 PM
The other thing about a car trailer is that the wheel base is wider than most 4wd's and the tyres will be way too small. I would try and go for the repair it there option as stated before.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

the evil twin
28th September 2014, 02:08 PM
For Roadside Assistance cover you need to read the fine print from the RACV, RAC, RACQ, NRMA, AANT etc very carefully.

Many say they will cover you "anywhere" but they have a distance limit of a 200 to 300 Kilometre round trip from the nearest service contractor and you pay the difference.
Oddly, the invoice costs seem to be maybe $50 for the first 300 K's part (RAC pays) and $500 for every extra 10 K's (you pay)

Other organisations will opt out if the vehicle is not on a "constructed road surface".

All have caps on the amount of $ cover that varies due to level or maybe time as a member IE longer you are in then higher "benefit limits".

Most have "additional benefit limits" of up to say $3500 for any incident but the fine print says that is restricted to the primary vehicle and doesn't apply to towed items when the overall cover says (on a casual read of the dot points) your van or trailer is included AND that the caps all apply anyway.

Google is your friend but may be easier to call the organisation.
Check for benefit limits, distance limits, towed item limits etc.

Make sure you drill down to the bottom line as many will say "Yes, your covered" and leave it at that but won't expand on how that cover is capped.

The above is speaking from recent experience in July after a breakdown at Docker River on the Great Central Road with a top of the wozza Roadside Assist package with RAC.
The towing fees reimbursement caps effectively ran out after about 5 kilometres and accomodation reimbursement is $110 a night max.
Accommodation (Yulara starts at about double that for a dorm bunk) capped at $550 or 7 days whichever is the lower.

Insurance picked up the rest thankfully.

threedogs
28th September 2014, 02:13 PM
even if you tip some "Chemi weld" into it at least all you need to change is the water pump.

P4trol
28th September 2014, 03:12 PM
So has anyone actually called the NRMA/RACQ/RACV/RAA/AANT etc to ask? Then we can work out whether 'you're covered', or how far you need to be moved, and in what direction, until you arre covered.

I know you might be a bit hesitant to put up a map or exact location, but surely there's people that can advise on better towing methods once track conditions are known.

To recap, people have suggested the following methods:

Full tow to nearest centre by NRMA equivalent
Drag to closest point, then get free tow
help from nissanpatrol to tow it to nearest help, or fix
mercinary (flat bed) help to transport to nearest garage
Gear up and drag a mechanic out to fix it where it is

NP99
28th September 2014, 04:17 PM
Just had a look at RAA and RACV. They have 200km limits for country call out. Evil twin has it correct, the fine print has the details. Coverage is not coverage...

my third 256
29th September 2014, 10:47 AM
ok tandem trailer out bot what about one of those ones toe trucks use
just goes under front tires or rear if auto
seen then with duel wheels on the axle

AJoz
29th September 2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks all. The guy that owns it is one of the true explorers and travels cross country away from roads and tracks.
He spends weeks out there.
The GQ will be recovered for sentimental reasons as it's taken him to hell and back in its 400,000kms.
Plan is to try and fix it. Plan B is to tow it out, hence the request for a towing bar.

NP99
29th September 2014, 02:37 PM
Would have been another good place for a national meet Up! :)

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks all. The guy that owns it is one of the true explorers and travels cross country away from roads and tracks.
He spends weeks out there.
The GQ will be recovered for sentimental reasons as it's taken him to hell and back in its 400,000kms.
Plan is to try and fix it. Plan B is to tow it out, hence the request for a towing bar.

Bugger! Tow a trailer in with another engine and crane. if you can get the same motor then a swap out would be pretty simple. No Conversions but just a straight swap. would be the cheapest by far too id reckon. Risking just taking parts hoping the damage is not catastrophic could end in disappointment. You'd get an engine and crane on a small off road trailer. take some extra fuel on the trailer and all the food and water you need and sort it out. The fuel needed to drag a dead car across 1000kms of desert would be pretty full on too.

Good luck mate.

jack
29th September 2014, 03:33 PM
Looks like the RACV Total care benefits have changed. Some years ago a friend broke his ankle at the Goldcoast, RACV flat bedded his car and towed his caravan back to Vic and didn't cost him a cent. His wife couldn't/wouldn't drive and wasn't confident in towing a van or setting it up at caravan parks so they covered their accommodation as well.

the evil twin
29th September 2014, 03:38 PM
Not a bad idea there MR. I'd try for a trayback 4x4 rather than a trailer to carry the engine and crane but depends on where the GQ is located.

Sounds like it is in the Gibson North West of Warburton or perhaps Little Sandy so needs to head for the Gary or Talawanna I spose.
If he is on or near the Talawanna you could help the logistics by coming in from and/or recovering to Newman maybe.

IMHO if you go for a DIY recovery it is a 3 or 4 person job and 2 vehicles but again it depends where the nearest tracks to the site can be accessed.

While I was at Mt Dare for a couple of nights in July there were two lots of people who had broken down in the Simmo also staying there.
The fav topic in the Bar was how expensive the charges were to recover out of the Simpson... up until you grabbed a pencil and worked out the logistics and costs incurred by the recovery guys.

You could almost double the cost for the middle of WA versus the Simmo

jack
29th September 2014, 03:49 PM
Just rang RACV to confirm this, car has to be accessible (but they couldn't describe accessible).
'In Country Areas, the first 100km in any direction, from the point of breakdown is free of charge, or back to the attending Service'. This means that they will tow you 500k fee of charge if the attending Service is 500k away, subject to the $2,400 incident limit.

the evil twin
29th September 2014, 03:50 PM
Looks like the RACV Total care benefits have changed. Some years ago a friend broke his ankle at the Goldcoast, RACV flat bedded his car and towed his caravan back to Vic and didn't cost him a cent. His wife couldn't/wouldn't drive and wasn't confident in towing a van or setting it up at caravan parks so they covered their accommodation as well.

They still will do that if you have top of the wozza cover.
Your friend was within the service area.
The geo limits are from the nearest service centre not from home.

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2014, 04:04 PM
Not a bad idea there MR. I'd try for a trayback 4x4 rather than a trailer to carry the engine and crane but depends on where the GQ is located.

Sounds like it is in the Gibson North West of Warburton or perhaps Little Sandy so needs to head for the Gary or Talawanna I spose.
If he is on or near the Talawanna you could help the logistics by coming in from and/or recovering to Newman maybe.

IMHO if you go for a DIY recovery it is a 3 or 4 person job and 2 vehicles but again it depends where the nearest tracks to the site can be accessed.

While I was at Mt Dare for a couple of nights in July there were two lots of people who had broken down in the Simmo also staying there.
The fav topic in the Bar was how expensive the charges were to recover out of the Simpson... up until you grabbed a pencil and worked out the logistics and costs incurred by the recovery guys.

You could almost double the cost for the middle of WA versus the Simmo

i agree, a Trayback, a couple of swags, an engine crane, a pop up awning for cover, a heap of extra fuel. Sounds like a Road Trip!.

I reckon thats nearly the only real option.

AJoz
29th September 2014, 04:44 PM
They are heading out on Wednesday.
I'll let you all know how they go.

macca
30th September 2014, 09:04 PM
They are heading out on Wednesday.
I'll let you all know how they go.

Look forward to reading how it all panned out.

NP99
30th September 2014, 09:41 PM
i agree, a Trayback, a couple of swags, an engine crane, a pop up awning for cover, a heap of extra fuel. Sounds like a Road Trip!.

I reckon thats nearly the only real option.

Plus beer and insect repellent :)