PDA

View Full Version : A visit by some Grey Nomads

NP99
27th September 2014, 07:55 PM
I was out front checking on the trailer today and a couple pulled up and chatted to me for 30 minutes, complete strangers :) they told me about their life on the road and the adventures they have encountered. One thing that they mentioned was earning some cash on the road. The old fella said if you have auto elec or mechanical skills they are in great demand.

He also said you'd be surprised how many useless males are on the road, they can't even fix a leaking tap.....

That comment doesn't suprise me, my son in law struggles to put a key in the ignition, that exceeds his base knowledge. Even some mates of my son are useless.

Where did we go wrong? Fathers or men in general I think should be passing this knowledge on. Or do we live in a rich society that we just pay for everything?

lhurley
27th September 2014, 08:16 PM
My old man is smarter then I am, but I can build things and am mechanically minded then he is.

That came out of necessity tho, not being able to afford to send my troll off to the mechanics for everything I broke.

Drewboyaus
27th September 2014, 08:49 PM
Each to their own in many ways.....
My dad was never incredibly mechanically minded but he was handy on the tools. I remember helping him with a lot of the reno's at our house growing up but time was always a challenge for him......he was a senior business executive who worked his arse of to be successful. I've probably learned more from him about business and economics later in life since he has had the time.
I find similar time struggles with my kids. Between work and work around the house and getting to the kids various sporting activities and social engagements, it's jolly hard to find the time to impart some of the pearls parents might have at one time or another. Especially difficult when both parents work (as many do these days) because you're forever trying to stay on top of life.....sad really........

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

NP99
28th September 2014, 12:20 PM
My old man is smarter then I am, but I can build things and am mechanically minded then he is.

That came out of necessity tho, not being able to afford to send my troll off to the mechanics for everything I broke.

The same reason I self taught $$$$. I had a base knowledge from my dad and improved upon it, as did my two sons. One is lazy and is happy to pay for work even though he can do it himself. My youngest daughter took an interest in repairs and is always checking for noises etc then gets me to have a look. My wife just turns the radio up so the noise goes away :) then days later she will tell me about it....

P4trol
28th September 2014, 04:15 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with your sons. Some people are particular about thing since birth, and others learn to be particular. And yes, I fix my stuff because I'm poor.

A couple I know are intellectuals. Yes, they are oblivious and useless when it comes to practical stuff. A recent conversation happened, where I explained their flicking fluouro light only needed a starter from the hardware shop, not an electrician. And in the same conversation they were thinking of removing the bricks for the retaining wall, as a couple were loose (ie remove the bricks, ignoring the whole reason a retaining wall was there in the first place).

It isn't they are dumb,and I'm not smart. Theyre just in a different headspace.

Many grey nomads have found a way to help themselves cash flow wise while travelling. Whether providing a service to other travellers, or the station where they stay. I've even seen a few A frame signs proclaiming their wares/services.

NP99
29th September 2014, 02:49 PM
Base knowledge is good too. Know when you're getting ripped off...

Avo
29th September 2014, 08:53 PM
we quite often travel at the times when the grey nomads are on the road,love having a chat when we have the chance.Some valuable info on anything from cheap campsites,fuel and things worth seeing..last year we camped on the side of the road with a couple and caught back up with them 1000km up the road.they took my daughter and I out for a mudcrab session..

Clunk
29th September 2014, 09:09 PM
If it wasn't for useless dumb farks who don't know how to fix a leaky tap like myself , their wouldn't be enough work for tradies

NP99
29th September 2014, 09:39 PM
If it wasn't for useless dumb farks who don't know how to fix a leaky tap like myself , their wouldn't be enough work for tradies

Or English teachers....their is ownership as opposed to there as in location. Lol

Clunk
29th September 2014, 10:17 PM
Or English teachers....their is ownership as opposed to there as in location. Lol

Well that's the trouble you see, being Welsh, I never learnt English, there was never any need to you see. As soon as you popped out at birth you were sent down the coal mines to work, there was never no need for edumacation see