PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry remote on 2000 GUII absolute crap. Isolated or common issue?

mjr350
26th September 2014, 08:48 PM
Hi Guys. The remote for my 2000 GUII is absolute crap and thats with a brand new battery. Sometimes I almost have to hold against car for it to work and other times it works fine if I hold it directly up with the buttons facing the car. I also find that I really have to put a fair amount of pressure on the buttons and hold them in for over a second for them to work.
Is it a common problem or do I have a dud.

Its driving me crazy because I'm always having to double check where as my old commodore was reliable every time with a distinct lock noise.

happygu
26th September 2014, 09:43 PM
My early 2001 model worked from only around 5 metres away, and it used to annoy me a lot .... but it would work better if I held the remote higher.

Good in some ways, as you couldn't accidentally press the remote and unlock it from 30 metres away, and not know about it, as there is no noise with the lock / unlock too.

The newer ones work better ... Nissan Aust must have had too many complaints....:wink:

I have fun pressing the remote from the other side of a footy oval now

Mic

mjr350
26th September 2014, 09:52 PM
Mine has an auto lock feature that locks it after 30 seconds so no chance of it accidently unlocking. Is there a possible fix (longer antenna on receiver for example).
Out of interest, is the auto lock feature standard?

happygu
26th September 2014, 09:52 PM
Mine has an auto lock feature that locks it after 30 seconds so no chance of it accidently unlocking. Is there a possible fix (longer antenna on receiver for example).
Out of interest, is the auto lock feature standard?

Yes it is ...

mudski
27th September 2014, 12:08 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12608-A-Guide-on-installing-your-own-remote-central-locking-in-under-20-minutes (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12608-A-Guide-on-installing-your-own-remote-central-locking-in-under-20-minutes)
and be rid of that crappy unreliable system...

mjr350
27th September 2014, 07:06 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12608-A-Guide-on-installing-your-own-remote-central-locking-in-under-20-minutes (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12608-A-Guide-on-installing-your-own-remote-central-locking-in-under-20-minutes)
and be rid of that crappy unreliable system...

Thats what I'm thinking

happygu
27th September 2014, 09:23 PM
MJR,

The factory style remotes are between $80 - $100 at Mr Minit, and they will code them for you, or provide the instructions on how to code them in.

I just bought one for my wife's BA... and I am sure that they have the Nissan ones as well

It took all of about 3 minutes to code in.....

Mic

mjr350
27th September 2014, 10:27 PM
I'm thinking for $100 I can buy a new keyless entry kit and know for sure that I'll get the extra range (plus an extra button for the boot opening that I can hook up to something one day)

MJR,

The factory style remotes are between $80 - $100 at Mr Minit, and they will code them for you, or provide the instructions on how to code them in.

I just bought one for my wife's BA... and I am sure that they have the Nissan ones as well

It took all of about 3 minutes to code in.....

Mic

mudski
27th September 2014, 11:14 PM
I'm thinking for $100 I can buy a new keyless entry kit and know for sure that I'll get the extra range (plus an extra button for the boot opening that I can hook up to something one day)

Haha that's what I thought when I got the Warlock kit. Still haven't worked out what to use it for though.

mjr350
2nd October 2014, 02:49 PM
I bought a kit from autobarn as jb didn't have them in stock. Pretty much the same as the warlock but it wort work. Ive got the indicators flashing and a 12v supply to the thick blue and blue/red but no door locking? Mudski, did you leave the old box in or remove it and I read somewhere that there's a relay under the drivers side that affects a few installs.

EDIT

Worked it out, there was a blue wire that needed to be grounded.
The kit is a Cyclops TX90 and has all the bells and whistles.
It can lock the doors as soon as the ignition is turned on if the doors are closed which I turned on because the missus is paranoid that someone is going to hijack us at traffic lights.
It also relocks after 1 min 45 sec if no doors are opened and also has a feature that will close all windows as well if hooked to power window circuit.

Does the warlock KG 400 have these options?

threedogs
2nd October 2014, 03:39 PM
sick of fitting new batteries all the time , and now lock it with the key, easy peasy Bloody Nissan

Wizard52
3rd October 2014, 12:02 PM
sick of fitting new batteries all the time , and now lock it with the key, easy peasy Bloody Nissan

Yep I just use the key as I don't have the option with the DX (and happy to do so)

mjr350
3rd October 2014, 08:45 PM
Out of interest, has anyone read the GU manual? It says that the remote won't work from more than a meter away.

MuddyTroll
4th October 2014, 07:29 AM
I can tell you my gu will only (sometimes) work from 1m. Looking into other after market options, thought I'd go whole hog, auto up windows and remote start as well. :)

mudski
4th October 2014, 01:22 PM
I bought a kit from autobarn as jb didn't have them in stock. Pretty much the same as the warlock but it wort work. Ive got the indicators flashing and a 12v supply to the thick blue and blue/red but no door locking? Mudski, did you leave the old box in or remove it and I read somewhere that there's a relay under the drivers side that affects a few installs.

EDIT

Worked it out, there was a blue wire that needed to be grounded.
The kit is a Cyclops TX90 and has all the bells and whistles.
It can lock the doors as soon as the ignition is turned on if the doors are closed which I turned on because the missus is paranoid that someone is going to hijack us at traffic lights.
It also relocks after 1 min 45 sec if no doors are opened and also has a feature that will close all windows as well if hooked to power window circuit.

Does the warlock KG 400 have these options?

The Warlock kit doesn't have those options. :( Good to see you got it working.

mjr350
5th October 2014, 10:57 PM
I can tell you my gu will only (sometimes) work from 1m. Looking into other after market options, thought I'd go whole hog, auto up windows and remote start as well. :)

Go for the cyclone kit if you want the windows up option. $99 from autobarn and I can give you the complete wiring as the instructions are also made for smart people.

MuddyTroll
6th October 2014, 10:09 AM
Go for the cyclone kit if you want the windows up option. $99 from autobarn and I can give you the complete wiring as the instructions are also made for smart people.

That would be good, got a link or model number for me?

mjr350
9th October 2014, 08:29 PM
That would be good, got a link or model number for me?

Cyclops KE-CLR-TX90
http://www.mycyclops.com.au/products_locking_tx90.html\

For some reason it says that it comes with actuators etc but mine didn't, its just the unit and remotes.

TJCPATROL
16th October 2014, 10:22 PM
Hi. Mate, from what I've learned, I have to press my remote up to 20 times to get it working sometimes. Easier, just use key! Some say it's an earth issue. The body of the ZD30 wagon isn't earthed that well to chassis compared to the Ute. I tried adding another earth strap. Only have to press about 10 times now.Lol.

mjr350
18th October 2014, 09:09 AM
Hi. Mate, from what I've learned, I have to press my remote up to 20 times to get it working sometimes. Easier, just use key! Some say it's an earth issue. The body of the ZD30 wagon isn't earthed that well to chassis compared to the Ute. I tried adding another earth strap. Only have to press about 10 times now.Lol.
Read the manual. It actually says that the remote control won't work over a meter away. Nissan actually wrote that.