PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side Barn Door a little low

angelo_f
25th September 2014, 04:26 PM
Greetings
I recently had to replace my drivers side rear barn door (the one with the wheel carrier) on my GQ SWB with one from a wrecker. When I go close the door, it feels like the door is a little low because I really have to slam it to close. I have attached an imgae that shows the two points that don't quite align up. When you slam door, however, the door aligns ok and looks fine. When you open the door, you can feel it drop a little. I would like to make it so the door aligns up perfectly and I don't have to slam it, but I can't see where to adjust it. I have loosened the bolts from the hinge to the body and lifted door as high as it will go before tightening it, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to fix it?

Thanks

threedogs
25th September 2014, 04:39 PM
do you have any play in the hinge,
you may need to re-adjust the passenger one

angelo_f
26th September 2014, 09:30 AM
do you have any play in the hinge,
you may need to re-adjust the passenger one

There is no play in the hinge, and it is not an adjustment of passenger side because I did not touch that and it aligns perfect. When the door is closed, there is perfect alignment between passenger and driver doors. The way that the door is is that when you close it, the bar on the bottom of the door slides into the slotted part on the body (those are the two parts that are circled) lifting the door into the correct position. When you open the door, it is on a slight angle down, but slamming it forces it into the correct position via that bar and slot. I was thinking about possibly putting a shim between the bottom hinge and the body to bring it up.

threedogs
26th September 2014, 09:40 AM
sounds like a good idea you wont know unless you try it

mudski
26th September 2014, 11:43 AM
Well if the door lines up I would losen the bolts holding the catch on the door and move it. And/ or do the same to the dove tail on the car where the catch slides into.

Parksy
26th September 2014, 01:40 PM
My guess would be that the hinges are slightly bent due to once having a large spare wheel. Are your old door hinges still good?

threedogs
26th September 2014, 04:47 PM
what was the reason for replacing the door in the first place.?

angelo_f
29th September 2014, 10:55 AM
My guess would be that the hinges are slightly bent due to once having a large spare wheel. Are your old door hinges still good?
I can't see how I could get them off. I could not tell because the old door was bent

angelo_f
29th September 2014, 10:55 AM
what was the reason for replacing the door in the first place.?
Backed into a tree and the spare tyre buckled the door

Parksy
29th September 2014, 11:38 AM
I can't see how I could get them off. I could not tell because the old door was bent

I'm not 100% sure how they come off either, but you can buy replacement hinges so it's possible somehow. My guess is it's mounted internally and requires the door trims to come off to access the bolts.

angelo_f
2nd October 2014, 07:36 AM
I'm not 100% sure how they come off either, but you can buy replacement hinges so it's possible somehow. My guess is it's mounted internally and requires the door trims to come off to access the bolts.

You can unbolt it inside the door next to the speaker hole. I replaced the hinge from the original door and that seems to have lifted it a little higher. Thanks

Natolpatrol
2nd October 2014, 07:37 PM
Backed into a tree and the spare tyre buckled the door

This may be the reason why it dont fit anymore check and see if there is anything else bent.

angelo_f
4th October 2014, 08:16 AM
This may be the reason why it dont fit anymore check and see if there is anything else bent.
The hinge off the replacement door was what was out. After changing it, the door aligns fine now

Parksy
5th October 2014, 07:27 AM
Sweet, easy fix.