PDA

View Full Version : Back from the big trip

paulyg
23rd September 2014, 08:07 PM
Just got back from a 4500km trip which included Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta, Simpson Desert , Birdsville, Innamincka, Cooper Creek, Coongie Lakes and Broken Hill, Was a blast and the Patrol ran without a problem, despite 2500km of badly corrugated roads, and the Simpson desert was badly cut up as well, and I made it up Big Red first go.
What was not so good was the toilet paper every where and not just in the Simpson Desert, A lot of the property's we drove through will no longer allow camping on there property's because of the toilet paper and rubbish being left behind.
We stayed overnight at a place called Hamilton station between Oodnadatta and Mount Dare, they had some nice units, they used to allow camping for free but the amount of toilet paper and rubbish getting left behind got to much, some idiot even cut up some of an old historic cattle yard because he wanted some fire wood, starting to see tracks and camping spots being closed out there.
I am sorry to say but it is being caused by people in 4wd vehicles, if we loose access to these places it will mostly be because of 4wds.

threedogs
24th September 2014, 08:38 AM
PPl when travelling outback should burn then bury or take it with you.
It's an education thing, wonder what the meet up guys did ?
Just burying it is no good as ferrals will did it up

TPC
24th September 2014, 10:10 AM
Sounds like it was a great trip, the issue with toilet paper is very widespread, it is a big problem along the Murray that needs to be addressed.

Where are your trip photos????

Cuppa
24th September 2014, 10:41 AM
Geez it disappoints me greatly to learn about the uneducated ‘grub behaviour’ which spoils things for others having become a problem ‘off the beaten track’. It’s bad enough that that these problems occur in popular sites in more populated areas & on the main tourist routes, but I bough a 4wd to get away from all that!
I have long argued elsewhere that local authorities should provide more facilities in free camp spots, but this can hardly apply to the remote areas that people buy 4wd’s to access. Some folk are just plain selfish, lack in the brain cell department or both. Grrrrr.

Pleased you had a great trip though.

threedogs
24th September 2014, 10:57 AM
@ TPC sadly you are right I've been going to the same place on the Murray now for only 10 years .
We threw a dart at a map of Vic to pick a spot.
In that ten years all the tables and seats provided have been burnt,
PPl throw their chairs in the fire and leave the frame for others to clean up
and toot paper everywhere sometimes the grubs don't even did a hole.
We make a point of leaving any camp site better than when we arrive even going to raking it clean on the odd occasion.
Cuppas right you cant educate an idiot. I for one do not want to be the cause of any track or area being closed,
Rant over lol It just peeves me no end how hard is it.
Potty training starts at 10-11 months doesn't it

paulyg
24th September 2014, 12:14 PM
I know about toilet paper problems on the Murray, we go there a lot. But what really surprized me on this trip was some of the really remote places we would pull over for a brake or to have lunch, get out and there would be toilet paper streamers every where.
The yellow double decker bus near Cameron's Corner is now gone, apparently the property owner got sick of cleaning up the mess left by campers even when there is no camping on that site.

threedogs
24th September 2014, 02:16 PM
I remember that bus well, seems to be the mentality that's its not their problem .
Add it up a couple of thousand going to Birdsville every year only takes a small percentage of idiots to stuff it for all.
Its easy Burn your paper, and be wary of high fire danger times.
Throw in a long BBQ lighter just for this task $2 each