PDA

View Full Version : 2004 patrol St general questions

toad_au
23rd September 2014, 01:19 PM
Hi guys recently purchased my first 4x4 and hoping some questions could be answered. This vehicle is completely stock and hasn't done much if any 4x4 work.
1st what series would this be build date is may so I'm thinking 3 but unsure
2nd does this model come with remote central locking standard? As this vehicle has changed hands a few times I wonder if it has lost its remote or was an additional factory fitting how can I tell? It's got central locking.
3rd the old girl is going to need tires soon they are all very low currently running 275 70r16 will these fit ok with stock suspension off road with all the flex etc? Not looking to go bigger as it's sits nicely atm. Cheers guys

threedogs
23rd September 2014, 01:26 PM
Its an 04 ST should have mags ,remote central locking and its a series 3
Tyres should be fine GUs have big wheel arches

Crate
23rd September 2014, 01:27 PM
Hey toad

You can easily identify the series by the wheel arch flares, the larger "squarish" shape ones it is a series IV if they are the smaller rounded ones then its a series III, May 04 build should be series III, I believe that the IV's started in Aug 04.

Can't help you on the central locking, but 275/70R16 will fit fine in standard suspension on or off road.

Craig

NP99
23rd September 2014, 01:41 PM
Taken from [url]http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/carfamilytree?ReadForm&ID=2C562B0B35C2D23FCA257125001A1655[/url

An evolutionary path from the super-successful GQ, the four-coil suspension GU series – or fifth-generation – Patrol featured a completely redesigned body (in four-door wagon-only body).

The two-door offered abroad was abandoned) that was larger in every dimension, a new chassis with huge strides in on-road dynamic control and refinement yet with better off-road ability, increased security and crash safety and a significantly improved cabin.

Equipment levels rose, seven seats were optional and modern passenger-car innovations like smart airbags were incorporated.

The Patrol started at the DX level and rose to the ST and luxury Ti models.

Initially engines were the 95kW/252Nm 2.8-litre four-cylinder turbodiesel (TD), 91kW/272Nm 4.2 OHV six-cylinder diesel and 145kW/350Nm 4.5-litre TD45 petrol motor – the latter offering a four-speed automatic option as well as the others’ five-speed manual gearbox.

From May ’99 a 114kW/330Nm 4.2 TD (TD42T) engine joined the range. Running late were the GU leaf or coil-sprung cab-chassis models in DX and ST guises and boasting a 2500kg towing capacity and 4.2 diesel and TD units.

The GU Series II from April ’00 introduced a 116kW/354Nm 3.0-litre ZD30 four-cylinder TD engine in manual and four-speed auto variations, replacing the old 2.8 TD unit, as well as new front seats, improved safety and a redesigned grille.

In October ’01 the GU Series III added a 185kW/420Nm 4.8-litre DOHC TB48DE six-cylinder engine. It also brought along a new grille, headlights, taillights, bumpers, side mouldings, side steps, wheels and body colours, as well as revisions to the cabin and trim.

A five-speed auto replaced all four-speed autos. The cab-chassis also received an upgraded engine – a 114kW/360Nm 4.2 TD known as the TD42Ti – in late ’02, as well as a small facelift.

This engine also made its way into the MY03 GU Patrol wagon DX and ST. The Ti also gained a limited slip differential; and from August ’03 a new wagon variant – the ST-L – was slipped in between the ST and Ti.

Substantial changes and a new specification structure marked the facelifted GU Mk2 Patrol.

Every exterior panel, bar the roof, was altered on all seven-seat variants, and include redesigned headlights, grille, bonnet, bumpers, mudguards, rear valance, tail-lights and wheels.

Nissan went for a luxury-look interior with the cabin overhaul, headed by a very car-like dash that it promises offers better quality and greater ergonomics.

Revised seats, trim, console and even door handles also bring the Patrol up to date. New features include satellite navigation and a rear-facing camera.

The models now read: five-seat DX and seven-seat ST, ST-S, ST-L and Ti. The biggest engine change has been to the 3.0 TDI four-cylinder five-speed manual; it now emits 118kW/380Nm (116kW/354Nm for the auto).

The 114kW/360Nm 4.2-litre TD42 six-cylinder engine is a carryover from before, as is the 185kW/420Nm 4.8-litre six-cylinder TB48 petrol engine in ST-S, ST-L and luxury Ti variants.

Nissan left the part-time 4WD system, coil-spring suspension with front and rear stabiliser bars with suspension stroke for greater wheel articulation untouched.

Meanwhile the five-seat wagon body (DX only) gained a new front bumper and most of the panel changes, while its cabin trim material was bespoke.

Standard features on all models include air-con, driver’s airbag, central locking, power mirrors and CD player.

threedogs
23rd September 2014, 01:46 PM
plus in stock guise the GU sat 50mm lower than a GQ, straight off the showroom

toad_au
23rd September 2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys now does anyone know where I can get a remote that doesn't cost $300 looked at aftermarket and they are like $30 off ebay but not sure what to do

Stropp
24th September 2014, 12:06 AM
If it has 16" mags from factory it's an early 2004 if it runs 17" mags from factory it's a late 2004 which is a GU1V, easy way is post a pic of the patrol and we can tell you what it is.

Clunk
24th September 2014, 12:30 AM
and not forgetting the rear cluster lights are different too

megatexture
24th September 2014, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys now does anyone know where I can get a remote that doesn't cost $300 looked at aftermarket and they are like $30 off ebay but not sure what to do

I'm in the process of this also but yet to get one, apparently mr minit sell them and my wife says they will code it for you but I'm not sure how without the car and she said they don't need another key to match the code from ??? Lol so I'm guessing she's confused.

http://www.misterminit.com.au/key_car.html

http://nissanhelp.com/diy/common/nissan_reprogram_key_fob.php

toad_au
24th September 2014, 06:50 AM
Cheers mate ill look into it hate to spend the 300 and it not work

threedogs
24th September 2014, 07:29 AM
My replacement remote cost me $130 from memory at Nissan,
the spares guy coded it to my car on the spot, free
some charge for this service,

toad_au
24th September 2014, 07:57 AM
Really nice to cheers mate

threedogs
24th September 2014, 08:13 AM
The price varies heaps so ring around

Dr Gary
25th September 2014, 05:44 PM
For 2006, standard tyres were 275x65 R17, with a factory option for 265x75 R16 (except the DX)
If you have the current (working ) key, most Mr Minit etc will replace the shell, but I suspect they cannot recode the remotes one at a time--according to the Gregorys service and repair manual, you must program ALL door remotes at the same time. If you want the process, I could post it-laborious but doable.
The door remote is not part of the ignition security system--key has two systems.

Evo
26th September 2014, 04:04 AM
Don't want to hijack thread, but my 1998 GU has central locking, but came with no remotes.
Would it have had remotes from factory when brand new?

Evo

toad_au
26th September 2014, 07:17 AM
For 2006, standard tyres were 275x65 R17, with a factory option for 265x75 R16 (except the DX)
If you have the current (working ) key, most Mr Minit etc will replace the shell, but I suspect they cannot recode the remotes one at a time--according to the Gregorys service and repair manual, you must program ALL door remotes at the same time. If you want the process, I could post it-laborious but doable.
The door remote is not part of the ignition security system--key has two systems.

Only have 1x ignition key that's it so need whole unit plus coding am looking at some after market central looking atm so see how I go

toad_au
26th September 2014, 07:19 AM
Don't want to hijack thread, but my 1998 GU has central locking, but came with no remotes.

Evo

Hi evo all good mate hi jack away lol
From the research I done trying to find mine I'm not sure that the 98 gu had remote but I could be wrong.

NP99
26th September 2014, 07:26 AM
Hi evo all good mate hi jack away lol
From the research I done trying to find mine I'm not sure that the 98 gu had remote but I could be wrong.

My 99 doesn't.

toad_au
26th September 2014, 07:43 AM

Evo

But there are kits on eBay 30$ and I'm thinking just connect it to drivers door so it works the normal central locking remotely have ordered it I'll let you know if it works.

Evo
27th September 2014, 03:15 AM
But there are kits on eBay 30$ and I'm thinking just connect it to drivers door so it works the normal central locking remotely have ordered it I'll let you know if it works.

Yeah mate, be great if you can let me know how it goes for you, plus a link to what you are getting.

Thanks

Evo

happygu
27th September 2014, 10:41 AM
Toad,

The factory style remotes are between $80 - $100 at Mr Minit, and they will code them for you, or provide the instructions on how to code them in.

I just bought one for my wife's BA Falcon, and it came with the instructions ......easy as ...... done in 3 minutes

Mic

toad_au
27th September 2014, 07:29 PM
Toad,

The factory style remotes are between $80 - $100 at Mr Minit, and they will code them for you, or provide the instructions on how to code them in.

I just bought one for my wife's BA Falcon, and it came with the instructions ......easy as ...... done in 3 minutes

Mic

Thanks mate ill try find a Mr Minit

toad_au
27th September 2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah mate, be great if you can let me know how it goes for you, plus a link to what you are getting.

Thanks

Evo

Yeah mate will do it should arrive this week so will let you know if it don't work my mother inlaw want central locking so I'll sell to her

toad_au
3rd October 2014, 07:07 PM

Thanks

Evo

Hey evo
I just finished fitting the remote central locking and it works like a charm. The one I got doesn't flash lights etc as I didn't wanna mess with the original wiring. But u can get them too.

Evo
4th October 2014, 04:58 AM
Sounds great bud.
Do you have a link to the kit you got?
How long/hard was the install?

Cheers

Evo

toad_au
4th October 2014, 08:35 AM
Sounds great bud.
Do you have a link to the kit you got?
How long/hard was the install?

Cheers

Evo

Hey mate the eBay item number is 181530941322 through that number in search and it will pop up.
As for the installation it was bit hard to find somewhere to put the actuator but one I found a snug spot and tested a rang all the wires neatly. Cut the other unneeded wires off. And the harness length was only just long enough but could extend it if wanted to.

Evo
4th October 2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks toad.
Appreciate it.

Evo

threedogs
5th October 2014, 03:48 PM
Heres the link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181530941322?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch %2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D1815 30941322%26_rdc%3D1

Item is out of stock

toad_au
5th October 2014, 04:28 PM
If it's out of stock another one should work fine I picked that one cause I liked the remote

Evo
6th October 2014, 02:12 AM
So it comes with actuators that need to replace the factory ones?

Evo

sooty_10
6th October 2014, 07:45 AM
So it comes with actuators that need to replace the factory ones?

Evo

I believe you only need the master actuator to lock/unlock the drivers door. The rest will lock/unlock off the factory central locking which is activated from the drivers door.

toad_au
6th October 2014, 08:09 AM
I believe you only need the master actuator to lock/unlock the drivers door. The rest will lock/unlock off the factory central locking which is activated from the drivers door.

Sooty is right just put the master in drivers and the original will work the rest

Evo
7th October 2014, 10:34 PM
Getting onto it soon.
Just looking for remotes I like.

Evo

Evo
17th October 2014, 12:50 PM
Ok,

So...
All up, $30, and about 2 hours of my time.
Remote central locking with indicator flashes installed and all wired with existing wiring into door and under dash.
Must say, very happy.
Got told off by the missus to "stop plying with it" (the remote).
Probably avoided flat battery on day 1.

Evo

toad_au
17th October 2014, 03:21 PM
Great good to hear!