PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new (to me) 2008 CRD GU - Advice needed!!

Bacho86
20th September 2014, 02:30 PM
Hi All,

Its been over 2 years since I sold my 98 GU TB45 and I'm looking at getting back into the game!

Looking to put down a deposit on an auto 2008 3.0L CRD with 131,000km on the clock.

Its got a 2inch Iron man lift, factory Nissan steel bar, roof rack and storage draws but otherwise is pretty stock. The underneath of the car looks very clean and well presented and apparently has not been used for much off roading

They are currently asking $28k and is being sold as part of a deceased estate. The only downside to the vehicle is the lack of documented service history. The guy was apparently mechanically minded and tended to do most of the work himself, but there is no documented history as to what was actually done.

Is there anything I need to be aware off or keep an eye out on this model and when would the major service be due?

Appreciate any advice or feedback!!

Cheers

growler2058
20th September 2014, 02:52 PM
I think major servicing is every 40k. Is it a DX or ST? I assume its a wagon?

Bacho86
20th September 2014, 03:02 PM
Hey growler, yeh its a ST Wagon

growler2058
20th September 2014, 03:04 PM
Check the tops of the rear shock towers and check for any cracks. A sure sign its been a tow truck

EDIT: auto or manual

Maxhead
20th September 2014, 03:19 PM
As said mate, main services every 40k . I would check all the oils before you fork the cash out and make sure they are clean( should have had everything changed at 120k) The motor oil will most probably be filthy but thats just how they are.

If it's got rear air bags you can pretty much tell it's been a tow vehicle and as Growler said check the shock towers.

Otherwise these are pretty much bullet proof...as you know owning a patrol before:)

Hodge
20th September 2014, 03:24 PM
Another common thing people notice when inspecting these is oil somewhere or all over the intercooler. This is a common thing, they will all fail and leak at some stage. If it does have an oil stain on the IC, don't be alarmed.

Bacho86
20th September 2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

The vehicle is an Auto *(will be my wife's daily driver with the kids).

No evidence of any heavy towing (standard nissan tow bar, no air bags, no electronic brakes etc) and the rear shock towers looked good.

The left rear spring had a bit of surface rust on it which was odd (the other 3 were fine) given the lift kit was only installed about 18months ago...

Bacho86
21st September 2014, 01:22 PM
Hi guys just to update, my offer was accepted on the vehicle!!

Will be putting up some more photos when I pick it up next week.

Hodge
21st September 2014, 01:23 PM
Awesome mate, good news. She looks great.

Crate
21st September 2014, 02:05 PM
Looks tidy mate, good buy!