PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good or bad GU?

SG1
19th September 2014, 06:35 PM
Hi all, need a bit of help with purchasing our GU Patrol.

We found a 2002 GUIII with 222k on the clock (ZD30 Di), has had a motor replaced with only 67k's on it, the rest of vehicle appears well maintained, has service history and receipts, with a few extras. It has stock suspension and apparently has seen very little offroading with towing a camper trailer at times, the general condition of the vehicle appears to support this via pictures as yet to inspect.

My questions are to do with the engine and running gear of this patrol.

Would it be expected that this engine would now be fine for a couple hundred thousand K's with me doing 5tho k servicing and fitting Nads if I was to purchase, or is the 02 GU models have bad ecu's computer contributing to early termination of engines in this year?

With the amount of k's (222tho) already on the vehicle how would the running gear expect to hold up , such as transmission, diffs ect?

And any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we really like the Patrols but as a family can't really afford to get it wrong with a blown engine down the track.

Cheers

Scott

93patrol
19th September 2014, 09:28 PM
The rest of the running gear will be fine the only thing I would look at is what year was the replacement engine from and maybe do a compression test.

nissannewby
19th September 2014, 09:30 PM
Whats the asking price?

Drewboyaus
20th September 2014, 08:26 AM
In the main, the drive train is near on bulletproof if it's been vaguely looked after. There was an issue with 5th gear but I can't remember what year that was rectified. If it's original suspension, factor in putting some new springs and shocks in at some point.
For me, the potential concern would be the Di ZD30 engine but with 67,000km it could suggest its from a later model which would be "better"......check the engine number to be sure where the engine has been sourced from for a start. If there's a history, go and have a chat with the mechanic who has done the work on it. He can possibly give you an insight into how it has been looked after and any known niggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

SG1
20th September 2014, 06:11 PM
Ok so had a good look over this Patrol today, everything added up, and drove really well, he originally wanted 16,200, put a deposit down for 14,750 with RWC, and us to pay for pre purchase inspection check and or compression check.

Pretty happy with it, as it comes with 3/4 roof rack, spotties, uhf, Nissan roo bar, cargo barrier in the back, snorkel, dual batterys. Not a scratch on it nor even a shopping trolley dent. Been well looked after and with the newish motor hopefully holds up.

Also had the upgraded safety pack, abs, driver passenger air bags.

Already contemplating the mods to come, within reason and expense..

Drewboyaus
20th September 2014, 08:32 PM
More addictive than crack

Bush Ranger
20th September 2014, 09:20 PM
More addictive than crack

Please explain?

Crate
20th September 2014, 09:59 PM
Please explain?

Haha he means 4x4 modding is more addictive than crack and possibly more expensive!

Drewboyaus
21st September 2014, 08:07 AM
Haha he means 4x4 modding is more addictive than crack and possibly more expensive!

Yes indeed! Thanks Crate.

gubigfish
21st September 2014, 12:04 PM
SG1 do all the mods everyone talks about on here for 3l and you should be good

SG1
26th September 2014, 09:29 PM
Ended up buying the Patrol, drove it home last night and drove a treat, very happy with it, have been compiling my list of mods, I see them as more as need to prolong the life of the engine, pretty much got everything ordered needed, just deciding on which exhaust system to go with and gauges for boost and pyro, tho thinking I might go with a Manta exhaust (dump pipe 3' hi flow cat, with only a resonator, Thoughts?) and Autometer Sport Comp Gauges to keep an eye on things.

I will get some pics along the way and start up a new thread in members rides ect.

mudski
27th September 2014, 12:13 AM
Ended up buying the Patrol, drove it home last night and drove a treat, very happy with it, have been compiling my list of mods, I see them as more as need to prolong the life of the engine, pretty much got everything ordered needed, just deciding on which exhaust system to go with and gauges for boost and pyro, tho thinking I might go with a Manta exhaust (dump pipe 3' hi flow cat, with only a resonator, Thoughts?) and Autometer Sport Comp Gauges to keep an eye on things.

I will get some pics along the way and start up a new thread in members rides ect.

No need to spend big $$$ on a pipe. As long as the Cat in hi flow and is metallic not ceramic you will be good. No need for a muffler too. I took mine out and just run a cat.