PDA

View Full Version : Missed opportunities.

Family4x4
19th September 2014, 10:48 AM
As a Hawthorn football (AFL) fan I like to keep up to date on what's happening with the club.

Last year the Hawks recruited a young man (19yr old) from Perth Dayle Garlett. Dayle had talent to burn but was overlooked in the previous years draft for lack of fitness and off field behaviour.

The Hawthorn football club had kept in contact with Dayle throughout the 2013 season, Dayle had worked hard on his fitness and off field issues. This resulted in Dayle being recruited to the club at the start of 2014. What a great oppertunity for the young man to be given a life line by the reigning premiers.

By March of 2014 Dayle decided to leave the Hawks and return to Perth citing homesickness and the inability to cope with the standards demanded by AFL.

It would appear that the real reason Dayle left was a drug problem that he couldn't shake. At this stage I was really a bit pissed off at this "junkie" he had wasted one of our draft picks and also thrown away a chance that so many people will never get. Fark him I thought.

I had not thought about Dayle for months and really didn't think I ever would again, until today I see a news article, if you are interested you can read the article yourself it is the link below.

The perspective I will add is that both Hawthorn Firsts and Seconds are playing huge finals this week, which if Dayle had stayed he surely would have been a part of.

I feel for Dayle and reading about his troubles has really saddened me. I hope that one day this young man can be at peace with himself.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25052349/fallen-hawks-recruit-in-custody/

NP99
19th September 2014, 02:33 PM
Sure is. He will fall a lot further until he rises again if at all.

Stropp
19th September 2014, 03:20 PM
yep lots of these young blokes that need help in their personal lives, they are very talented sportsmen but have no direction off the field, its a shame to see.