PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Licence

Bloodyaussie
19th September 2014, 08:46 AM
A number of members have been asking me of late about getting there firearms licence so thought I would post up a how to and post links.

Now this is for Victoria and members in other states may want to post requirements in there states.

First I recommend you ring your local police station and book in for the course before doing anything else.

Dont go down to the station thinking you can just book in as it does not work this way (maybe some rural places) so you ring your local and if you are lucky will speak to the firearms instructor and he will book you in ( this can take weeks) then download this form http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34468 catagory A and B and get the safety code booklet and study http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?a=internetBridgingPage&Media_ID=72422

A reason to hunt and I find the easiest is just to get a permit to hunt vermin on crown land which is only about $14 and is obtained from the dse 136 186 if you want to hunt deer then its about $50

If in any doubt either visit a gun shop or a friend who is experienced to go over the forms before admitting.

Your first rifle takes no less than 28 working days but after that any rifle can be taken home within a day or two.

The test is common sense but there are a couple of questions you cannot get wrong or it is an instant fail so take your time.

Feel free to point out anything I may have missed and maybe some of your own experiences..... Good luck.

UPDATE: there has been changes to booking into do the safety course.. you need to download and print off the application to sit the course, fill it out and drop it off at the station you are sitting the course and the police will get back to you with a date.

AB
19th September 2014, 09:01 AM
Hey mate, those links you gave are actually links to your computer. Do you want to email them to me or try and upload them to here?

Good info mate, cheers!!!!

Bloodyaussie
19th September 2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks mate..... I am hopeless at that stuff .

Then edit our 2 posts

MudRunnerTD
19th September 2014, 09:07 AM
There is a form you need to fill in to apply for the course and it needs to be submitted at the station where the firearms officer is. Not any station. Most big stations though but I had to go into Geelong.

I filled in the form over the counter and met the Firearms officer at the station. He sent me an email within 24 hours giving me a course date 6 weeks out.

Attached to the enmail was the application for a firearms license, the safety code booklet.

Full in the application form and get all your ID ready and the day you do your course post it off with the certificate and then it's about 4 weeks from then.

If you know what gun you want to buy in detail then you can get a form "notice to Aquire" and full that out and post that at the same time as your license application and that will save you a month at least.

Avo
19th September 2014, 09:13 AM
should see the crap you have to do to get one in WA.at the moment just for an addition to your already exsisting licence is 12 weeks...doesn't really matter if you want a gun of the shelf from a shop but if you try and look on an online gun sales page no one will even consider selling you one because there is to big a holding period.
come to think of it,i haven't even fired mine of late..maybe a wabbit hunt this weekend.

Bloodyaussie
19th September 2014, 09:14 AM
Thats why I said ring your local and they will direct you to the station in your area that handles this.

As for applying for the course it is not how they do it here??

I will ring them today but I know that when you ring Epping police the option is in the phone menu and the officer normally calls you back and books you in over the phone.

sooty_10
19th September 2014, 09:43 AM
I had to go through all this again in Vic start of the year. I simply rang the local cop shop's firearms officer, he booked me in over the phone no dramas. Basically exactly as BA has outlined was the process for me in Bendigo.

The safety test is designed to pass, it is basically a legal culpability thing so that ignorance can't be used as an excuse if you do something against common sense. I had however done the safety course before and had a firearms licence for years as well as experience using guns many dream about so what I see as common sense may not be so common with some people.

The firearms safety officer was very helpful to those who were struggling with some key points, re-wording a question or prompting them to think again etc.

MudRunnerTD
19th September 2014, 09:47 AM
yeah i am being guided by my Nephew who has had his for about 6 months. He told me i had to go in in person so that is what i did. Was simple though! If you can do that bit over the phone id probably have done it weeks ago damn it!.

NP99
19th September 2014, 02:37 PM
Plus if you have had mental Heath issues (documented) a license may prove difficult. I think a dvo will also,pose problems.

AB
19th September 2014, 09:29 PM
ring your local and they will direct you to the station in your area that handles this.

I rang my local police station 5 times today and no answer...lol

I think Lilydale might be my closest hope!

NP99
19th September 2014, 10:05 PM
This might help the Qld guys....

http://youtu.be/q-f2Hgm5vrM

Crate
19th September 2014, 11:27 PM
I rang my local police station 5 times today and no answer...lol

I think Lilydale might be my closest hope!

Go here and get the firearm safety course booking form:

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34440

Go to this list here, just email your local firearms officer with a attached copy of the filled out form, and they will book you in and send you the details for the safety course:

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34744

That's what I did :-)

Winnies-missus
20th September 2014, 07:18 AM
How much does it cost BA?

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2014, 08:23 AM
About $240 for 5 years... my race licence cost me $300 a year so I found this very reasonable.

Crate
20th September 2014, 09:21 AM
$250.90 for 5 years, I just paid it, also you need a reason for application which the easiest one is the pest hunting permit from DSE that is $14, BA put info on it in his first post.

So far that is all I have spent, thanks to having some mates that let me borrow their guns, I will get my own in due course though.

Winnies-missus
20th September 2014, 09:15 PM
I just want to no how to shoot a gun. Never done it before.

Crate
20th September 2014, 09:20 PM
Even un licensed you can go to the little river gun range with any licensed person and shoot targets. I was there today, good fun but it gets expensive when you shoot 60 308 rounds!

AB
20th September 2014, 09:57 PM
Has anyone had or used the over and under shotgun/22?

Feedback?

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2014, 10:14 PM
Even un licensed you can go to the little river gun range with any licensed person and shoot targets. I was there today, good fun but it gets expensive when you shoot 60 308 rounds!

There is no way I could shoot 60 rounds of high caliber.... thats how you kill a barrel .

When at the range I will fire a max of about 3 - 15 rounds of my main hunting rifles to make sure they are on target.

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2014, 10:15 PM

Feedback?

Wouldn't bother ............

AB
21st September 2014, 12:05 AM
Why?.....curious.

Crate
21st September 2014, 07:14 AM
There is no way I could shoot 60 rounds of high caliber.... thats how you kill a barrel .

When at the range I will fire a max of about 3 - 15 rounds of my main hunting rifles to make sure they are on target.

Hmmm really? That was over 4 hours and some 22 plinking inbetween, how hot is too hot for a barrel?

Irish
21st September 2014, 08:35 AM

Feedback?

Probably handy as a farm gun for knocking over pests, or a backpack gun for hiking out bush. Haven't used one though so I can't speak on them with any authority.

P4trol
21st September 2014, 08:37 AM
Machine gun barrels get so hot they glow in daylight.

And 7.62mm / 50cal aren't uncommon. Are these high cal?

doka404
21st September 2014, 08:50 AM
Mate if the barrel got to hot to hold on to/touch, then yes it may be a little bit hot. :)

BloodyAussie , I think, is referring to how hot the barrel got and the increased wear you will encounter by continually pumping rounds through a stinking hot (cant touch it) barrel. Nothing wrong with putting 20-40 rounds down a barrel at a range session and depending on how long your there 60 rounds is no biggy.

But at the same time, calibre has got nothing to do with barrel wear. For example a 50BMG will outlast a 338LM, while some small calibres cartridges wear out quicker. For example the 338LM or even a 308Win will generally outlast a 204 Ruger

It is more related to Velocity rather than calibre. But at the same time, if you consistently rapid fire rounds until the barrel could fry an egg then you will decrease your barrel life.
Also take into consideration how hot your loads are, If your loading a round to the max, yes it will cause increased wear (higher velocity again). I should say..that the term 'velocity' as I am using it covers a number different variables such as Burn rate of the powder, how big a charge etc.

What you are talking about with barrel wear is generally throat erosion. Lots of variables determine throat erosion. The quality of barrel and smithing, how heavy the barrel is (removes heat faster), has it been hand lapped, is it a lined barrel and yes do you continually dump mag after mag through it. Only real way to check your barrel out is with a borescope.

As an example I have a mate who has a 308 (carbon wrapped Madco Barrel) and that has had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, in fact he has even managed to put a mag of 260 Rem through it by mistake one day!! Don't ask lol

That rifle has even had a new bolt as he wore the old one out (gives you an idea how much has gone through it) and it still easily shoots 1/4 MOA at 100 if you do your part. By all intents and purposes that rifle should not shoot..but it still does. Yes it is an exception to the rules or possibly just a magic barrel :)

Got to also take into account what you consider good accuracy..for a hunting rifle I consider MOA good enough for that. But some may say 2 moa is good enough. You might find a rifle that for the first 1000 rounds it shoots 1/2 MOA, but for the next 4000 it shoots 1 moa. Some would say worn out, others would not.

If you ask around or read a number of things (and this is a hornets nest of a discussion) more damage is done by improper cleaning regimes or over cleaning than by shooting a rifle.

At the same timer, re-barreling a rifle you like is easy to get done and not really that expensive in the scope of things. So just get out there and enjoy the sport responsibly.

mjr350
21st September 2014, 09:29 AM
Apart from velocity, barrel wear also has a lot to do with overbore cartridges meaning large case capacity but small projectile. 22-250, 220 swift, 270 win to name a few. My 22-250 is a barrel burner and accuracy has decreased over a few years because I was careless when I first started load development but it's not a target rifle and is still minute of fox out to 300y

doka404
21st September 2014, 11:54 AM
That's why I mentioned "I should say..that the term 'velocity' as I am using it covers a number different variables such as Burn rate of the powder, how big a charge etc"

Overbore cartridges are basically a way of increasing the velocity of a given projectile, buy using a larger parent case, normally necked down, which gives a bigger powder charge. You can also achieve similar (although not to the same extent) results using different powder with different burn rates.

Off topic - You would also use (for example) faster burning powders to get a complete (or as close as possible) burn within a given barrel length, but with all things reloading its a fine balance between the result, load density, burn rate, chamber pressures etc etc etc

I agree with you..minute of fox, minute of bunny..al good enough for the intended purpose of the rifle :)

Apart from velocity, barrel wear also has a lot to do with overbore cartridges meaning large case capacity but small projectile. 22-250, 220 swift, 270 win to name a few. My 22-250 is a barrel burner and accuracy has decreased over a few years because I was careless when I first started load development but it's not a target rifle and is still minute of fox out to 300y

MudRunnerTD
21st September 2014, 12:21 PM
Great info thanks guys. I am looking at a Ruger 30-06 American with a Stainless barrel as I'm told the SS barrel will last much longer due to the reasons above? Is this accurate?

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2014, 12:34 PM
Great info thanks guys. I am looking at a Ruger 30-06 American with a Stainless barrel as I'm told the SS barrel will last much longer due to the reasons above? Is this accurate?

Spend a little moreand get a howa... much better build quality and so many options.

Crate
21st September 2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply doka, great information.

Question for the more experienced guys, how does the secondhand gun buying process work through a dealer?

Irish
21st September 2014, 06:02 PM
Same as buying new mate. Dunno about warranty though on second hand rifles? Might be like buying a used car I guess.

matfew
21st September 2014, 07:00 PM
why would you get warranty with a second hand rife Irish lol.

I've done it second hand and its easy as. Make a deal with whoever ya buying from/ Ring a dealer you both agree to deal with and then ring em. they do paperwork etc send it off and usually get it back in a day or so if its not your first gun.

Once they have it back both go there they check details of gun you sign for it pay the fee which is like 30 or so bucks usually to the shop and all done its yours

Irish
21st September 2014, 07:08 PM
why would you get warranty with a second hand rife Irish lol.

I've done it second hand and its easy as. Make a deal with whoever ya buying from/ Ring a dealer you both agree to deal with and then ring em. they do paperwork etc send it off and usually get it back in a day or so if its not your first gun.

Once they have it back both go there they check details of gun you sign for it pay the fee which is like 30 or so bucks usually to the shop and all done its yours

Shop warranty against defects for 30days/etc, like they do with used cars over $xxxx?

I sure as hell cant tell if a gun will actually fire just by looking at it, can you?

What percentage of gunshops do you think actually test traded guns?

sooty_10
21st September 2014, 07:32 PM
Shop warranty against defects for 30days/etc, like they do with used cars over $xxxx?

I sure as hell cant tell if a gun will actually fire just by looking at it, can you?

What percentage of gunshops do you think actually test traded guns?

I guess it all depends if your buying a second hand gun from the dealer, or buying a second hand gun privately and using a dealer to transfer the guns registration.

MudRunnerTD
21st September 2014, 09:09 PM
Spend a little moreand get a howa... much better build quality and so many options.

Thanks Jonathan, my nephew has the Ruger and its got a good feel but I know nothing. The package I was looking at was about $820 including a 4x9 scope I think.

Does the Howa take a cartridge or internal load?

Here is a good review of the Howa.

http://huntandshoot.com.au/articles/column/norman/howa-30-06-combo/

MudRunnerTD
21st September 2014, 09:24 PM
Here is the Ruger American 30 06 that I am looking at with what must be noted as a bloody good review also.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/all-american-ruger-american-rifle-review/

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2014, 09:54 PM
I have owned both Darren and the American although seems a good rifle has its flaws...

The howa is a proven rifle with many a top custom built of its action and there are so many parts and accessories for them.

$820 for an American is bullshit and a complete rip off.

I have owned 2 Howa's and for the price make much more sense... dont ever buy a rifle scope package.

Scopes are a very important part of the whole shooting experience and I have bought too many shit scopes, a good scope you can keep for life.

doka404
21st September 2014, 10:00 PM
Agree 100% with you there Aussie. Buy once cry once..spend good money on a scope and it will last for a lifetime...

Saying that..imo best hunting scopes you can get (or that I have used) that are 'reasonably' priced would be some of the Kahles Helia..and if you can stretch it the K624i is just a beautiful scope..

I do like my USO scopes though as they can take any abuse you throw at them and keep on working..but you pay a price for that and that price is weight..

I have owned both Darren and the American although seems a good rifle has its flaws...

The howa is a proven rifle with many a top custom built of its action and there are so many parts and accessories for them.

I have owned 2 Howa's and for the price make much more sense... dont ever buy a rifle scope package.

Scopes are a very important part of the whole shooting experience and I have bought too many shit scopes, a good scope you can keep for life.

MudRunnerTD
21st September 2014, 10:11 PM

Thanks Jonathan, I was looking at a package as a good place to start. I figure a matched rifle and scope will get me going with a view to upgrade the scope in 12 months when I know what I need. The package noted in the Howa review showed a better scope with greater zoom. I could not find a price on it though.

MudRunnerTD
22nd September 2014, 12:16 AM
Agree 100% with you there Aussie. Buy once cry once..spend good money on a scope and it will last for a lifetime...

Saying that..imo best hunting scopes you can get (or that I have used) that are 'reasonably' priced would be some of the Kahles Helia..and if you can stretch it the K624i is just a beautiful scope..

I do like my USO scopes though as they can take any abuse you throw at them and keep on working..but you pay a price for that and that price is weight..

I appreciate your advice Doka and BA, i just had a bit of a look at the Kahles and the internet price for those is upwards of $1500 and most are around the $2100 mark for the scope. I am truly entry level and looking for an entry level package to get me started int eh sport. I might look at bolting a $2000 scope on in the next 10 years if i take it seriously but at this stage i am looking at Rifle / Scope packages for less that $1000. The Ruger was $800 for the rifle scope package. If the Howa prices in then i will certainly look at them too but i have to start somewhere.

macca86
22nd September 2014, 05:10 AM
Rule of thumb is what ever you spend on a rifle is what you spend on a scope.
But if you are after a good cheaper entry level scope look at redfield leuopold or Burris ranges

Irish
22nd September 2014, 07:24 AM
Rule of thumb is what ever you spend on a rifle is what you spend on a scope.
But if you are after a good cheaper entry level scope look at redfield leuopold or Burris ranges

True, I took a punt on a Redfield revolution scope(the US made one) for my Enfield and it is fantastic. Liked it so much that I'm getting one for my Mauser. You can get em for $300 or a touch less if you shop around. Excellent scope for the money.

Bloodyaussie
22nd September 2014, 08:29 AM
Darren as a starting point for you I would go either a Leupold vx-1 or a Redfield.

I have a VX-1 and find it to be a great basic scope with good optics.. I also have an older Redfield and I also like that but the new ones let me down with the cross hair being rather thick.

Leupold has a lifetime guarantee and if you find your self wanting much better later then you will fit it to your .22

3x9x40 is a good size hunting scope the suits most applications and what ever you do dont get sucked into thinking big is better... going out buying a 6x24 x50 for hunting is not advisable... the higher the magnification you have it dialed up the harder it is to look through quickly to get on target and you also lose sight of where you are in the big picture.

On a 3x9 I have it set at 3 and on my Varmint rifle 4x16x56 I have it set at about 5.

Stay away from being sucked into all the ebay ones from China.. you will soon learn as soon as you look through real scope your one sucks.

Also price match as this hunting industry in this country sucks bad and its not often prices are advertised and vary greatly from shop to shop.

AB
22nd September 2014, 07:19 PM
Are you still allowed to have a pump action .22?

I remember a friend had one, boito, Remington?

And it had 8 or so rounds?

This was a long long time ago though.

Bloodyaussie
22nd September 2014, 07:29 PM
Yes you can but they suck.... as do a lot of the lever actions.

I prefer a good bolt action.. more accurate and less likely to have feed issues.

Irish
22nd September 2014, 07:29 PM
Yup,

Or if you fancy some old timey cowboy fun you can get a lever action 22.

Henry Goldenboy, excellent rifle by all accounts.

sooty_10
22nd September 2014, 07:30 PM
Are you still allowed to have a pump action .22?

I remember a friend had one, boito, Remington?

And it had 8 or so rounds?

This was a long long time ago though.

Pretty sure you are allowed pump action rifles still, not just .22's :) I've seen .308's and .223's in pump action. One such was the Remington 7615. Some guys love decking them out to look like they are playing Call of Duty.

AB
22nd September 2014, 07:35 PM

I prefer a good bolt action.. more accurate and less likely to have feed issues.

Thanks gents...

BA, why do they suck, accuracy?

Bloodyaussie
22nd September 2014, 07:48 PM
Yes and feed problems are more likely... can be frustrating... really its a bit of wank, as Irish posted ooh look at me I am a cowboy bang bang!!!!

If you are shooting pigs at close range with larger caliber then that is understandable..

AB
22nd September 2014, 07:57 PM
For me I'm mainly interested in something I can actually use to kill vermin on the property and friends properties on a regular basis.

Not something I buy and leave in the cabinet.

Something that won't piss the neighbours off either using subsonics, etc

Any suggestions as I'm new to this?

The infestation around here is insane!

That's why I was suggesting the over and under shot gun/22.

I would also like a shotgun so....if I need two then so be it.

relyimah
22nd September 2014, 08:01 PM
You had any experience with the browning lever actions? Was looking at one in a .223. Very pricey though.

macca86
22nd September 2014, 08:01 PM
Hunting/shooting is like golf need more than one club in the bag. I have a 10 round mag .22 bolt action you could do accurate shots at 50 m every 3 seconds off a bench you don't need pump or lever action

MudRunnerTD
22nd September 2014, 08:07 PM
I am going a 30-06 for deer and foxes AB but I understand a 223 will take out foxes no dramas. 223 for rabbits too. Or Shotgun for any of the small stuff at close range for the win. So as Macca says a cople of different guns is likely.

boots
22nd September 2014, 09:58 PM
AB the latest rimfire 22's in lever action either browning or marlin are a great thing and for what you want to do they would be great . In saying that they come at a cost , they are more expensive to buy .Cost and preference are the factors to consider. Darren for a rifle scope in 30-06 I highly recommend bushnell elite in 3x9x40. The two that I have are the elite 4200 models but not sure if bushnell still have them or have refreshed or rebranded the model line up . They do the job very well at dawn and dusk ,this time is crucial when stalking deer.

Bloodyaussie
22nd September 2014, 10:13 PM
30-06 is way overkill on a fox... I used my .243 on a fox and shot it straight through the head and the round blew its asshole out... its head was almost gone.

I love .204 as one ripping fast round but for more of an all rounder the 22-250 is the roo shooters round of choice.

I myself am not a huge fan of the .223 and the main reason it is so popular is the ammo is cheaper than other rounds due to military applications.

I am huge fan of the .243 and love that it can do so much even on smaller deer.

I also like 30-06 over .308 any day of the week but many who go straight out and buy a big caliber find they hardly get to use the thing and many farmers dont like you using stuff like that on there farms.

relyimah
22nd September 2014, 10:30 PM
I myself am not a huge fan of the .223 and the main reason it is so popular is the ammo is cheaper than other rounds due to military applications.

I am huge fan of the .243 and love that it can do so much even on smaller deer.

I also like 30-06 over .308 any day of the week but many who go straight out and buy a big caliber find they hardly get to use the thing and many farmers dont like you using stuff like that on there farms.

Have a 30-06 and thought that may be the case but figured I'd be aiming for Deer in the high country with it.

Been watching the 223/243 debate in a few groups closely. Seems price is the main point of difference. Any idea the difference per round for similar brand?

Was looking at the Browning BLR mainly because it would tick a lot of the "don't currently have" boxes (stainless, lever, takedown) but is quite pricey... Much of a muchness at the moment though given I don't have the money for another one.

Crate
22nd September 2014, 10:36 PM
http://www.acme-firearms.com.au/Federal%20Ammunition/Federal%20Ammunition%20Index.htm

That's a good link just for comparison, $0.92 each for the 223 and $1.58 each for the 243 just as a rough comparison.

Really imo if you are hunting game animals, ammo cost is not a big factor, 1 bullet per deer/duck/pig etc is all you will be doing. It is going down to the range and shooting targets that really gets expensive with the larger more expensive rounds.

relyimah
22nd September 2014, 10:53 PM
Really imo if you are hunting game animals, ammo cost is not a big factor, 1 bullet per deer/duck/pig etc is all you will be doing. It is going down to the range and shooting targets that really gets expensive with the larger more expensive rounds.

Thanks for the link, and agree with you on the cost factor mate, just another thing to consider is all when it comes to restocking. Not a massive difference in price tough by the sounds of it.

macca86
23rd September 2014, 05:39 AM
223 can leave you wanting. A 243 can be over kill a 22/250 slots in there nicely at about 1 to 1.50 a round for factory ammo is a great all rounder. If you were to have a 1 gun only policy I'd look at a 25-06
I have 3 for a reason 22 for bunnies close fox fun and plinking. A 22/250 if I want fox rabbit roo at night at distance and a 7mm rem mag because I can its cool and will kill anything in Australia
Plus if you get serious you'll reload anyway then the 22/250 makes a 223 it's bitch big tim and is cheaper than factory 223 when you reload.

Irish
23rd September 2014, 07:31 AM
AB, if you just want a cheap knockabout rifle or shottie, you can pick em up pretty cheap. I got a 2nd hand 22 for Bek for $150 from Centreway firearms and it shoots straight as, snagged another from Melbourne Firearms for $90(ask Johnny about it)and I've picked up a shottie(bit rough around the edges but works fine) for Bek from Clayton firearms for about $250. So you don't have to break the bank.

My first rifle cost $395 with a scope, has knocked over it's fair share of bunnies.

With shotguns, as long as it isn't rusted out/pitted down the barrels(and of course goes bang bang), you really can't go wrong. I've seen single barrel 12ga for as little as $80.

NP99
26th September 2014, 12:37 AM
http://www.biggamehunteraustralia.com/where_to_and_how.html

AB
2nd October 2014, 08:28 PM
Watching doomsday prepers.

This yank has 67 types of guns from automatics to shottys to all different types of hand guns.

Obviously prepping but said he's main reason for the guns is the amount of snakes...lol

macca86
2nd October 2014, 09:11 PM
Americans really are a little bit crazy! Love watching these trashy shows,

Irish
3rd October 2014, 12:56 AM
Watching doomsday prepers.

This yank has 67 types of guns from automatics to shottys to all different types of hand guns.

Obviously prepping but said he's main reason for the guns is the amount of snakes...lol

Thats pretty dumb if you are prepping for an EOTWAWKI situation.

Better to have a small selection of guns that all fire the same ammo, than a dolly mixture of all kinds of rubbish...

matfew
3rd October 2014, 12:45 PM
depends how you look at it Irish. if he has a huge selection of guns he'll surely have a gun to fire any ammo he picks up out and about.

he could have a shite load of ammo for 1 calibre he owns a few different combos of. say 22 rifle 22 pistol 22/12 Guage combo etc

AB
3rd October 2014, 02:40 PM
Apparently only Knox police station is the only one with a firearms officer in my area.

Being ringing the division all week and no answer!

oncedisturbed
3rd October 2014, 03:21 PM
Not sure over east but here in wa, under the act, any police officer can accept and approve firearms applications.
Its an internal thing having allocated firearms officers.
That was told to me by the officer who processed my application awhile back.

Irish
3rd October 2014, 07:04 PM
depends how you look at it Irish. if he has a huge selection of guns he'll surely have a gun to fire any ammo he picks up out and about.

he could have a shite load of ammo for 1 calibre he owns a few different combos of. say 22 rifle 22 pistol 22/12 Guage combo etc

I'm a big believer in keeping it simple.

I'd go 22lr(good for pistol or rifle), 12ga, maybe one larger pistol calibre and max of two rifle calibres.

Irish
3rd October 2014, 09:00 PM
Apparently only Knox police station is the only one with a firearms officer in my area.

I don't think you are tied to your local division when it comes to sitting the safety course, you could try ringing others, contacting licensing services directly, maybe give the SSAA a call or if you are in the neighbourhood, just swing by and ask in person.

Bloodyaussie
5th October 2014, 09:18 AM
Ok a bit of an update about booking in for the safety course and that is you do need to download and print the form and then just drop it off at the police station that does the course.

George was here late yesterday and he had still not got off his ass so I rang there and then to book him in and the recorded message gave all the details needed, I printed off the form and George filled it out and dropped it off straight away.. they said it could be within a few weeks.

I will update the first post but...

MudRunnerTD
5th October 2014, 10:00 AM

Wow I would have thought lilydale, croydon and Ringwood would all be big enough for a firearms officer.

MudRunnerTD
5th October 2014, 10:02 AM
Ok a bit of an update about booking in for the safety course and that is you do need to download and print the form and then just drop it off at the police station that does the course.

George was here late yesterday and he had still not got off his ass so I rang there and then to book him in and the recorded message gave all the details needed, I printed off the form and George filled it out and dropped it off straight away.. they said it could be withing a few weeks.

I will update the first post but...

Damn!!! Might have been what I said...... In post 4 of the thread. ;)

Once you figure out the station it is you need to hand it into you can get the form over the counter at that station. Takes 30seconds to fill out.

threedogs
5th October 2014, 02:20 PM
Is the licencing more stringent now with whats happening on the news or just same ole same ole

macca86
5th October 2014, 06:14 PM
In qld it's still the same. Do a safety coarse fill out your paper work hand it in to the police station pay your money then wait for it to be processed usually 3-9 months then fill out your PTA for every fire arm

AB
14th October 2014, 07:40 PM
Ok, so I'm booked in next Wednesday!

I've read the booklet but I have a shocking memory.

They have in bold that we must know the 10 safety rules!!!!

I'm sure ill remember it on the day...lol...better re read it just to be safe. I know the booklet was really just common sense but I haven't had a test in decades...lol

relyimah
14th October 2014, 08:09 PM

I'm sure ill remember it on the day...lol...better re read it just to be safe. I know the booklet was really just common sense but I haven't had a test in decades...lol

Fantastic!

Take the booklet with you if you feel the need mate. They pretty much hand you the answers - they WANT you to pass because it means you know the info.

AB
14th October 2014, 08:14 PM
Fantastic!

Take the booklet with you if you feel the need mate. They pretty much hand you the answers - they WANT you to pass because it means you know the info.

Very true, good call.

tikashooter
14th October 2014, 08:31 PM
AB or anyone else considering getting a licence maybe you should also join say SSAA or one of the other hunting or shooting organisations as well -
the $20 million liability insurance is a good thing to have, it is cheap insurance also a reason to have licence.
Cheers
Tikashooter

sooty_10
14th October 2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah don't stress mate, I've met you once and your not a complete dumb ass ;) so you will be fine. The test is designed for 15 year olds to pass so if anyone fails it completely then they should never be allowed near a firearm. The firearm officer that ran mine was more than willing to help out as needed especially the mandatory couple of questions.

Also I never read the book before going, they deliver it all through death by PowerPoint and a really old video.

MudRunnerTD
14th October 2014, 09:38 PM

Im booked in Next Wednesday too.! In Geelong.

relyimah
14th October 2014, 09:40 PM
they deliver it all through death by PowerPoint and a really old video.

Really? Mine was all spoken... And I've had my license for only a few years so not like we're talking an age ago.

mjr350
14th October 2014, 10:44 PM
Funny you say that. I've done the test twice. Once when I turned 18 as I wanted my license but never followed through on the paperwork and 5 years ago when I finally got around to getting it 6 years later.
First test was a sit down session at an old blokes home with a video and handouts followed by practical test with a 22 and the second time me and the missus went down to the local range, answered a few basic questions and we were done.

It sounds like NSW is the easiest state to get a license from what I've been reading here.
Ring FAR for paperwork, find somone at a range to do test (every range has at least 1 person able to do it), send paperwork off with safety course certificate and genuine reason, wait from a month to 6 weeks and your all sweet to head to the rta for a photo if your approved.

Alitis007
15th October 2014, 11:45 AM
Looks like next wednesday is sate firearm safety course day lol!!

AB or anyone else considering getting a licence maybe you should also join say SSAA or one of the other hunting or shooting organisations as well - the $20 million liability insurance is a good thing to have, it is cheap insurance also a reason to have licence. Cheers Tikashooter

Isn't being a level 13 prestige in Call of Duty a good enough reason ??? I might have to redo my paper work.... :D

mjr350
15th October 2014, 12:28 PM
Looks like next wednesday is sate firearm safety course day lol!!

Isn't being a level 13 prestige in Call of Duty a good enough reason ??? I might have to redo my paper work.... :D

So you want to be a sniper.........

Alitis007
15th October 2014, 01:15 PM
So you want to be a sniper.........
No, not at all... I hate campers!!! I'm more of a run 'n' gun type of player!!

Alitis007
15th October 2014, 02:06 PM
Next NP.com.au meet up......

sooty_10
15th October 2014, 07:27 PM
Really? Mine was all spoken... And I've had my license for only a few years so not like we're talking an age ago.

I did mine in Jan, might be slightly different between courses..... and the video was ancient, they said apparently there is a new one in production though. Basically even if it is all spoken (with or without powerpoint) they make sure you known everything prior to your test.

Bloodyaussie
15th October 2014, 07:29 PM
No, not at all... I hate campers!!! I'm more of a run 'n' gun type of player!!

I'm a camper.... love getting my eye in and sniping away.. bring on the gillie suit !!!

AB
15th October 2014, 07:52 PM
And just confirming for anyone else in eastern side of Melbourne, the only place for the test in our entire region is Knox.

MudRunnerTD
15th October 2014, 09:17 PM
Had my application countersigned by my Reference today and got my 100points of ID Certified by my Colleague who is an Engineer today. Ready to go.

Alitis007
15th October 2014, 09:47 PM
I'm a camper.... love getting my eye in and sniping away.. bring on the gillie suit !!! I will find your camping arse, knife you in the back then t-bag your digital carcass!!!

This is what happens when you camp!! 50410

AB
22nd October 2014, 09:34 PM
All done, 30/30!!

If you fail that course then there's something wrong with you!

sooty_10
22nd October 2014, 09:35 PM
All done, 30/30!!

If you fail that course then there's something wrong with you!

As I said mate, nothin to worry about. Designed to pass....

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2014, 10:19 PM
All passed and easy as.

tallman
22nd October 2014, 11:58 PM
On the day I turned 18 I walked into the local police station and hit the cop up for a firearms licence, paid $20 on the spot at walked out with it 10 minutes later, that was back in 1983, how things have changed....for the worse to.

graeme1969
23rd October 2014, 12:20 AM
I didn't think there were firearms licences until 95. All we had to have up till then (in Tassie at least) was a hunting licence which you would just go into the local sports shop and get in most cases a day or two before a particular season opened.

sooty_10
23rd October 2014, 07:22 AM
On the day I turned 18 I walked into the local police station and hit the cop up for a firearms licence, paid $20 on the spot at walked out with it 10 minutes later, that was back in 1983, how things have changed....for the worse to.

I was born in 1983, so couldn't quite walk into the cop shop to get my licence then ;)

relyimah
23rd October 2014, 07:25 AM
I was born in 1983, so couldn't quite walk into the cop shop to get my licence then ;)

80s kids problems eh?
I dunno but I think for once I'm Gonna have to agree that it was better "back in their day" :D

mjr350
23rd October 2014, 11:01 AM
80s kids problems eh?
I dunno but I think for once I'm Gonna have to agree that it was better "back in their day" :D

The internet has been the biggest killer

tallman
30th October 2014, 07:53 PM
If the internet was to one day implode I wont miss it.

tallman
30th October 2014, 07:54 PM
On seconds thoughts yes I will :1087:

Bloodyaussie
24th November 2014, 03:32 PM
A big congratulations to Darren today for getting his licence.. well done.

Now no fighting or violence young man !!!! LOL

AB
18th December 2014, 08:48 PM
WooHooo after 20 years of procrastination I finally got my gun license today!!!:thumbup:

matfew
18th December 2014, 09:20 PM
Haha about time lol. Good work mate now you have another bloody expensive hobby lol

relyimah
18th December 2014, 10:24 PM
Well done Andy! Good to hear mate. Fun times ahead