Looks like Nissan are going to give me my monie back
after 14 months of a crap nav system that refuses to function correctly
had it back to the work shop heaps of times now , and still fails
SO................
Whats the best sat nav system out there what have you guys got
built in to dash is what im after to fill the hole from the Nissan sat nav
thanks in advance
nowoolies :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Hey mate - I'll post up some photos, but that head unit I just put into mine is a ball tearer .. Cost me $288 delivered and they have gone up, but you'll still get it for around early 3 hundreds. Has Bluetooth, sat nav, iPod connection, SD Ram slot for music, DVD, cd, reversing camera, all aussie maps pre-loaded, etc. It's a no name Chinese thing, but I'm surprised at the quality, the screen resolution is outstanding, a piece of p!ss to install yourself (dhuck took me through it, and if i can do it, anyone can!! LOL), and for the price you can't go wrong. The closest name brand model I have found is around $1000 without the maps and the reversing camera.

Plenty out there though, but food for thought none the less.

the evil twin
23rd February 2011, 12:03 PM
Hmmm... good question.

I'm really curious why they didn't replace it... VDO Dayton are certainly one of the best ones around and in a lot of Euro Vehicles as standard but Meah... at least you got a couple of grand to play with.

Do you want a true Sat Nav for $2000 to $3000... IE one that works 100% in tunnels, urban canyons etc etc... like the VDO Unit should have.
Or do you want a PND style IE Navman (spew), Tomtom, IGO8, Route 66, etc that only work with Sats in view but with the display in the same spot as the Factory
Or are you happy to consider a Multi purpose unit that replaces the existing Head Unit for the vehicle sound system

If its the first the choices are very very limited as most manufacturers supply the vehicle manuf only as OEM.
If it is the second there are a few more choices but not a lot as most are double din and you may struggle to fit one due to screen size and the Screen Demister Plumbing limiting the depth
If it is the 3rd then there are 100's from about $250 and up on Ebay or $700 and up to around $1500 (branded, better quality and full warranty and support) from the Car Audio joints

Again I don't know why they didn't replace the Dayton 5200... as there are 10's of 1,000's out there in Aus working fine but getting something else in that factory slot may be a challenge plus the associated wiring from the Display to the Electronic Unit will be different.

rkinsey
23rd February 2011, 12:21 PM
I gave my wife a Navman platinum S300T for christmas and we take it out when we go bush so that if somthing hapens to me, the family can get home again. (Cost me $100.00 but dont tell her that...)

Me, I dont use one. I look at a map (and take one with me for the area we travel to) know which way north is and take notice of the landmarks in the area and then just go nuts.... more fun that way. I'm also teaching my kids how to navigate the old fasioned way as well. (What hapens when the battery goes flat?)

Rob

Sir Roofy
23rd February 2011, 12:32 PM
Very good point rob every body who goes bush should have an understanding of how to read a basic map
i use my gps mainly in the city it has taken us thru bits i have never seen toll free
also have a hand held for the bush when hunting

nowoolies
23rd February 2011, 12:41 PM
Hey mate - I'll post up some photos, but that head unit I just put into mine is a ball tearer .. Cost me $288 delivered and they have gone up, but you'll still get it for around early 3 hundreds. Has Bluetooth, sat nav, iPod connection, SD Ram slot for music, DVD, cd, reversing camera, all aussie maps pre-loaded, etc. It's a no name Chinese thing, but I'm surprised at the quality, the screen resolution is outstanding, a piece of p!ss to install yourself (dhuck took me through it, and if i can do it, anyone can!! LOL), and for the price you can't go wrong. The closest name brand model I have found is around $1000 without the maps and the reversing camera.
Plenty out there though, but food for thought none the less.

waitin waitin waitin pic`s pic`s no hurry though lol
cheers mate

rkinsey
23rd February 2011, 01:00 PM
Yes Roofy, they are good for the city (My wife has perfected the art of getting lost and turned around after many years of practice) but I still dont use them even in the city.

I think they are a distraction to the driver more than anything. Look at the map, count the intersections and go..

nowoolies
23rd February 2011, 01:01 PM
g`day evil
they have replaced it lol same result ...........crap errrrrr, i mean it crashes just when you need it
i guess im gunna have to pay the bucks for a good unit
i want an on road /off road /troppo/ reversing camera, and touch screen ect
i have looked at the Sony and the V M S systems both fit straight into the dash
still not my forte, im as computor literate as a house brick ,
mind you i like the sound of Bigrigs unit ,..............................BUT STILL WAITIN FOR PIC`S HAHAHAHAHA sorry bigrig thought i`d have a dig.

the multi purpose unit you mention is that like the VMS and Sony units they seem to do just about everything but drive the rig
sort of offputting with all the extras they have
i have a Tom Tom 720 in the work bus and that never misses a beat only down fall is no off road ,
and thats something i would like , i do use maps and can sorta navigate to the point of totally geographically challenged , ( i never get lost ) hahaha thats her fault gave me the wrong directions ,
Paul

rkinsey
23rd February 2011, 01:06 PM
Why not try one of these then

http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/Products/HEMANavigator5/tabid/100/Default.aspx

the evil twin
23rd February 2011, 01:37 PM
g`day evil
they have replaced it lol same result ...........crap errrrrr, i mean it crashes just when you need it
i guess im gunna have to pay the bucks for a good unit
i want an on road /off road /troppo/ reversing camera, and touch screen ect
i have looked at the Sony and the V M S systems both fit straight into the dash
still not my forte, im as computor literate as a house brick ,
mind you i like the sound of Bigrigs unit ,..............................BUT STILL WAITIN FOR PIC`S HAHAHAHAHA sorry bigrig thought i`d have a dig.

the multi purpose unit you mention is that like the VMS and Sony units they seem to do just about everything but drive the rig
sort of offputting with all the extras they have
i have a Tom Tom 720 in the work bus and that never misses a beat only down fall is no off road ,
and thats something i would like , i do use maps and can sorta navigate to the point of totally geographically challenged , ( i never get lost ) hahaha thats her fault gave me the wrong directions ,
Paul

I'm confused. Have you discarded the idea of wanting a unit in the same place as the factory display from your original post?.

If you want a "Navigation Device" in that space and leave the Factory Stereo alone and are happy with a PND rather than a full GPS Vehicle Navigation System then the only issue is mounting the PND. You won't fit a 7 inch jobbie in there but a 5 or 6 should fit

If you are happy to do "something else" with the space where the Sat Nav display was and change out the Nissan Head Unit for one of the Ebay Jobbies then this is mine which mounts straight in and plugs into the factory loom with an extra $20 worth of adapters from Alberts or whomever... http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/road-king-7-inch-highdef-car-dvd-player-with-gps-and-dvbt/

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 01:39 PM
Hey mate - here's a video that I did for a mate when I got it installed as he was looking at one also to put in his BT50. My brother ended up getting one too, and his is top dollar also - the bloke that sells them is based out of Brissy (chinese fella that imports them) and has literally a couple of thousand sales listed on his eBay rating with something like 99.8% satsifaction. In one of the responses, a bloke had one installed and it sh!t itself about 3 months late - the seller swapped the item no questions asked, but apart from that, couldn't see any other returns. I've had mine about a month, and very happy with it. The GPS is a bit finicky to get used to (just because of my big fingers and where it sits in the GQ) but very good none the less. This is the 6.2" unit which fits both GQ's and GU's ...

The vid was for a mate, so not a not much bad language in it at all, but probably not for the kiddies ears if you are sensitive to that sort of thing (i.e. don't play in front of the kids!! LOL).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-fj_RBufM

Lambroast
23rd February 2011, 01:42 PM
I was going to buy one of these until the missus found out. I now have a new 2011 map book.... :(

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320433605161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Simon

AB
23rd February 2011, 01:43 PM
Hey mate - here's a video that I did for a mate when I got it installed as he was looking at one also to put in his BT50. My brother ended up getting one too, and his is top dollar also - the bloke that sells them is based out of Brissy (chinese fella that imports them) and has literally a couple of thousand sales listed on his eBay rating with something like 99.8% satsifaction. In one of the responses, a bloke had one installed and it sh!t itself about 3 months late - the seller swapped the item no questions asked, but apart from that, couldn't see any other returns. I've had mine about a month, and very happy with it. The GPS is a bit finicky to get used to (just because of my big fingers and where it sits in the GQ) but very good none the less. This is the 6.2" unit which fits both GQ's and GU's ...

The vid was for a mate, so not a not much bad language in it at all, but probably not for the kiddies ears if you are sensitive to that sort of thing (i.e. don't play in front of the kids!! LOL).

Thats a private video Scotty, I dont think we are able to see it....

Private video hey...lol

rkinsey
23rd February 2011, 01:44 PM
I was going to buy one of these until the missus found out. I now have a new 2011 map book.... :(

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320433605161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Simon

Your finance director is as tight as mine huh???

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 01:48 PM
Thats a private video Scotty, I dont think we are able to see it....

Private video hey...lol

I thought if I shared the link you could see it? Can it not be viewed? If not, I'll update it.

AB
23rd February 2011, 01:50 PM
I thought if I shared the link you could see it? Can it not be viewed? If not, I'll update it.

YOu can see the pic at the start but once you click it then it says "Sorry this is a Private Video".

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 01:51 PM
YOu can see the pic at the start but once you click it then it says "Sorry this is a Private Video".

Updating now sir ... one moment please!! LOL

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 01:58 PM
Righto - can you try it again please? Thanks

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 02:03 PM
I'm heading out, so hopefully that edit worked - if not, I'll fix it up tonight. Ciao lads.

AB
23rd February 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm heading out, so hopefully that edit worked - if not, I'll fix it up tonight. Ciao lads.

Happy Days! works a treat mate....Cheers!

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 02:06 PM
Bootiful. Thanks.

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 06:22 PM
Paul, did you see the vid? Is that the sort of thing you're after?

Clunk
23rd February 2011, 06:35 PM

me likey that alotey, how do you find it being so low though?

Bigrig
23rd February 2011, 08:11 PM
Hey clunk - not too bad mate ... attached are some photos - it sort of "is what it is" when it comes to where they placed the double din space for a stereo in the GQ. Using it is a piece of the proverbial - I have it tipped out so it faces up whilst driving for ease of use. Haven't even used a CD in it yet, as I just jump in the car, select bluetooth and hit play - it automatically kicks the iphone playlist into gear. Overall, for the price I'm more than happy with it.

nowoolies
24th February 2011, 09:21 AM

yes mate right on the button
i saw evils one at the club meeting last night bloody fantastic
cheers mate

Bigrig
24th February 2011, 09:29 AM
yes mate right on the button
i saw evils one at the club meeting last night bloody fantastic
cheers mate

No worries at all ...

nowoolies
24th February 2011, 09:36 AM
strewth this site is absolutly the best fanfriggintastic site i have come across ,the people the info
what more can i say
thanks

the evil twin
24th February 2011, 10:52 AM
strewth this site is absolutly the best fanfriggintastic site i have come across ,the people the info
what more can i say
thanks

Awwww Shucks man... better stop right there or we will have to get The Ferret to design some head deflators... :devilred:

It was a pleasure to meet last night and glad you got some good intel out of it. :bananadancing:

Bloggsy
24th February 2011, 03:23 PM
It was a pleasure to meet last night and glad you got some good intel out of it. :bananadancing:

Thanks ET for the demo of the double-DIN, I think you've sold me on one of those units.

Clunk
24th February 2011, 06:58 PM
Hey clunk - not too bad mate ... attached are some photos - it sort of "is what it is" when it comes to where they placed the double din space for a stereo in the GQ. Using it is a piece of the proverbial - I have it tipped out so it faces up whilst driving for ease of use. Haven't even used a CD in it yet, as I just jump in the car, select bluetooth and hit play - it automatically kicks the iphone playlist into gear. Overall, for the price I'm more than happy with it.

Cheers Scotty, well I suppose if it's down there, you're less likely to get pinged by the Rozzas as they can't see it mounted on the dash

Sean
17th March 2011, 11:44 PM
question to all do you think VMS is better then HEMA???????????? for a great reliable GPS

nowoolies
17th March 2011, 11:48 PM
question to all do you think VMS is better then HEMA???????????? for a great reliable GPS

take a really loooooog look at the latest sony XAV-70BT
its what im gunna put in the bus i think

katwoman
18th March 2011, 02:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-2-gps-4nissan-xtrail-navara-patrol-tilda-pathfinder-/170616358545
Please note this comes with all standard 'totoya' connectors. ( honest, read it)

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 08:32 AM

By the way, this takes 4 different map types - Hema, Oziexplorer and two others written on the box that I can't remember - I.e. You can put different map software in to suit your requirements.

Clunk
18th March 2011, 11:10 PM
By the way, this takes 4 different map types - Hema, Oziexplorer and two others written on the box that I can't remember - I.e. You can put different map software in to suit your requirements.

reckon this one is definitely on the wish list..... have been keeping a watchful eye out on Ebay, price wise i mean

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 11:17 PM
reckon this one is definitely on the wish list..... have been keeping a watchful eye out on Ebay, price wise i mean

About $320 last I saw them

Clunk
18th March 2011, 11:42 PM
About $320 last I saw them

aye thats what I saw, see if the missus will stump up for fathers day lmao

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 01:44 PM
aye thats what I saw, see if the missus will stump up for fathers day lmao

My next challenge is to fit the reverse camera but somehow wire it up to record video ... that would be sweet if possible - the head unit does have AV out RCA connectors, so hopefully it is.

Clunk
19th March 2011, 11:18 PM
My next challenge is to fit the reverse camera but somehow wire it up to record video ... that would be sweet if possible - the head unit does have AV out RCA connectors, so hopefully it is.

do you know if those units will only play from a thumbdrive or memory card, or will it record them too?

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 11:24 PM
do you know if those units will only play from a thumbdrive or memory card, or will it record them too?

The head unit doesn't record - RCA leads out of it to something like a TiVo or similar to record the output - then I can dump it onto the computer. Is that what you mean??

Clunk
19th March 2011, 11:50 PM
The head unit doesn't record - RCA leads out of it to something like a TiVo or similar to record the output - then I can dump it onto the computer. Is that what you mean??

sure is. I wonder if the camera can somehow be attached to one of those camera thingies in AB's camera mounting thread.... now that would be quite handy

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 11:58 PM
sure is. I wonder if the camera can somehow be attached to one of those camera thingies in AB's camera mounting thread.... now that would be quite handy

You would just need the recording unit to have a screen, or further output sockets to attach a screen - be interested to see if I can use a palm or windows ce unit.

Clunk
20th March 2011, 12:00 AM
well after today, I would like to see whatavailable for videoing upfront and behind at the same time.............. would be so much easier than trying to drive and hold the camera at the same time lol

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 12:03 AM
well after today, I would like to see whatavailable for videoing upfront and behind at the same time.............. would be so much easier than trying to drive and hold the camera at the same time lol

Yeah - I'd like to mount the camera I have above the Nissan badge on the front ... If I can pull this off, I'll be very pleased!!

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah - I'd like to mount the camera I have above the Nissan badge on the front ... If I can pull this off, I'll be very pleased!!

Just about to go fidget with it and see if there is somewhere up front to mount it - can't go above the nissan badge due to the spotties, so onward to source a suitable location.

Clunk
20th March 2011, 03:18 PM
Just about to go fidget with it and see if there is somewhere up front to mount it - can't go above the nissan badge due to the spotties, so onward to source a suitable location.

how about on your bull bar between the spotties?

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 04:33 PM
how about on your bull bar between the spotties?

Just tried that and worried about stone chips and theft/damage from d!ckheads. Hmmm ... under the right headlight on the plastic grill frame is what I'm thinking - unobstructed view, less visibility to Joe Public ....

Clunk
20th March 2011, 05:46 PM
Just tried that and worried about stone chips and theft/damage from d!ckheads. Hmmm ... under the right headlight on the plastic grill frame is what I'm thinking - unobstructed view, less visibility to Joe Public ....

sounds like a plan mate, let us know if it's a goer, oh and not forgetting the obligitory pics lol

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 08:11 PM
sounds like a plan mate, let us know if it's a goer, oh and not forgetting the obligitory pics lol

Will do sir on both counts!

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 08:28 PM
Righto - been researching and it is all more than possible and I am definitely going to turn it into a reality - my brother has the same head unit with the camera installed at the rear - the video quality and the "spread" of the lens is awesome, so I am going down to his joint through the week to rip his head unit out and attach a recording device to prove the theory. If that works, it's going into mine the following day or two and hopefully ready for it's first test next Sunday at Beerburrum.

Damn it I'm excited!!! Haven't got any "techo" toys, so this should be awesome!!

Clunk
20th March 2011, 08:50 PM
Righto - been researching and it is all more than possible and I am definitely going to turn it into a reality - my brother has the same head unit with the camera installed at the rear - the video quality and the "spread" of the lens is awesome, so I am going down to his joint through the week to rip his head unit out and attach a recording device to prove the theory. If that works, it's going into mine the following day or two and hopefully ready for it's first test next Sunday at Beerburrum.

Damn it I'm excited!!! Haven't got any "techo" toys, so this should be awesome!!

nice one..... looking foward to seeing it, if it works

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 08:57 PM
nice one..... looking foward to seeing it, if it works

What's that "if" sh!t?? It WILL work!!! LOL

Clunk
20th March 2011, 10:06 PM
What's that "if" sh!t?? It WILL work!!! LOL

yeah, that's what I meant lmao

katwoman
22nd March 2011, 06:58 PM

If anyone is bidding on this type or similar on ebay, the 'nissan' ones around $250-300 mark, let me know item no so I dont bid against you. ( is this a good idea?)

katwoman
18th May 2011, 02:44 AM
Boo, now I'm here....

nowoolies
18th May 2011, 02:49 AM
hahahahahaha hardy hardy ha ha ha
its the depth your in that you need to worrie about lmfao

katwoman
24th May 2011, 06:01 PM
'no name' brand. $300 from eBay. Nissan cables. Does pretty much everything except light your smoke. So far, no complaints.

Bagheera
20th August 2011, 08:40 AM
Hey katwoman, do you recall which eBay seller you purchased from? Looking for a similar unit myself and it would be nice to get one I know works.

katwoman
21st August 2011, 09:59 AM
Hey katwoman, do you recall which eBay seller you purchased from? Looking for a similar unit myself and it would be nice to get one I know works.

Not sure, mate.
If you just search 'patrol gps'. you'll find a few..