PDA

View Full Version : How do you dismantle a Hitachi alternator

Colinbeaver
16th September 2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Guys, I recently had trouble with my alternator not charging properly and also drawing power from the battery when the vehicle was not running. I solved the immediate problem by fitting a new alternator but would like to fix the old one to have as a spare. I have not been able to get the thing apart. I removed the vacuum pump and the bolts holding the end bracket to the slip ring and the good book says to then withdraw the drive end bracket, rotor and pulley assembly. It doesn't want to budge. Is there a trick or do I just have to use more force? I am sure the problem is with the diode pack, but I need to get it apart to do some testing. It will also need new brushes as it hasn't been touched in 350k. The alternator is the standard Hitachi 60 amp with the vacuum pump. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks Colin.

MudRunnerTD
16th September 2014, 07:16 PM
Hi Collin,

Sorry for the lack or a reply, consider this a bump.

I have had one apart and just kept going until it was stripped but can't remember if there was any tricks to it.

If in doubt a Hammer is a good thing ;)

Hope someone might be able to steer you straighter.

Yendor
16th September 2014, 07:40 PM
I take it you have removed the 4 long screws that hold the 2 housing together.

You just need to gently tap the two housing apart. The stator will stay with the rear half of the alternator.

It will more then likely be a problem with the regulator it it was drawing power.

Colinbeaver
17th September 2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks Yendor, I didn't want to start hitting it if there was a trick such as twisting or something. I'll try tapping it tonight now that I have a bit more confidence. You're probably right about the regulator too.
Thanks for your advice.

MudRunnerTD
17th September 2014, 10:43 AM
See!! A Hammer was the right answer!! Lol. A soft face hammer should get it done and that's what I would have done for sure mate.

Yendor
17th September 2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah soft taps with the hammer. If you can, put the front housing in a vice and gentle tap the rear housing while pulling on the rear housing as well.

Tap around the housing so it comes off evenly.

The stator (middle bit between the 2 housings) stays with the rear housing.