PDA

View Full Version : Low / inconsistent boost

mattdoyle0493
15th September 2014, 12:58 PM
Gday all,
2007 3l CRD, split a turbo actuator vacuum line a few weeks ago, obvious no boost until I pulled up found the split and repaired. Boosted fine and to the usual pressures (according to ScanGauge II). Used the next day and I had practically no boost, and was also showing vacuum down to 0.04psi at idle(compared to lowest reading of 0.01 psi at idle) although vehicle seemed to drive alright (was cold and handnt driven much lately so I couldn't be 100% sure). Checked air filter (3 weeks old) was clean, replaced all vacuum lines, checked boost sensor, sensor was full of oil, cleaned sensor, cleaned IC still no change. Checked turbo was spinning freely, actuator is free and moving (I'm not 100% sure where it should sit under what load and revs, only guessing that movement and full stroke = good?). The big girl still seems to drive alright, only it displays low and inconsistent boost readings, and without the specs to test the sensor, does it sound like a sensor issue? Because to my knowledge the turbo either works, or it doesn't? I have a boost gauge, breather filter etc on the way so I can properly see what the boost is doing but until then does anyone have any other ideas knowledge or info I could use on what to look for it something I missed?

Hodge
15th September 2014, 01:06 PM
Hey mate I had the same issue with low inconsistent boost, although I didn't have initial trouble like you have had with split hoses and stuff.

Dawes and needle valves fixed that quick smart.

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

threedogs
16th September 2014, 11:07 AM
X2 with Hodge fit a EGR block and a Dawes and needle valve.
You might like to consider fitting a boost and EGT gauge in a suitable pod of your likeing.
Great peace of mind and you can see first hand whats happening under your bonnet