PDA

View Full Version : Nebiw Q2 engaging low ratio, gear selector stiff

phtest
15th September 2014, 10:22 AM
OK having grown up on Land rovers I know nothing about Patrols. I pick up my first one next week. A 2003 4.8 ST-L.. So I apologies in advance for all the stupid newbie questions I'm about to ask.

:icon_driving:When I test drove the car I found moving the 2nd gear stick to 4high and then low was hard. I stopped the car and put it in park but it was hard to move, it went in but was hard. Sometimes there was a grinding because it wasn't in any gear (good anti theft device to leave your low box in neutral)

The x owner was actually at the dealership at the time i was there so I was lucky enougth to ask him a few question. He did mention that he never went off road and had only used low a few time.

I know in my old rusty rang rover if you didn't use low it "froze up".. Is it the same with Nissans?

Im hoping its just a liberal dose of grease or WD40 is needed... What do people think?

Thanks
Paul

happygu
15th September 2014, 11:02 AM
Paul,

You need to push down on the lever to move from 4 High to 4 Low, as there is a gate to stop you accidently slipping it into 4 Low whilst you are travelling along ...

You can go from 2 High to 4 High on the move.

Mic

happygu
15th September 2014, 11:03 AM
Also, you should be stopped to go into 4 Low from 4 High ....

phtest
15th September 2014, 12:06 PM
Paul,

You need to push down on the lever to move from 4 High to 4 Low, as there is a gate to stop you accidently slipping it into 4 Low whilst you are travelling along ...

You can go from 2 High to 4 High on the move.

Mic

I didn't know you could change on the fly, that's good to know. I find by the time I thinking about changing to high I'm stopped to access the obstacle anyway.
I knew about the pushing down bit, but it was still a bit stiff. It went in and worked thou. Maybe I need bigger arms.

MEGOMONSTER
15th September 2014, 12:18 PM
Yep 2H to 4H on the fly.
4H to 4L is in neutral then push down on lever and change to 4L in one motion.

happygu
15th September 2014, 01:30 PM
On the back of the drivers sun-visor is the instructions for use, which should make everything crystal clear too .....

2 High to 4 High up to 100 Kph ....

menace 2
15th September 2014, 02:16 PM
On the back of the drivers sun-visor is the instructions for use, which should make everything crystal clear too .....

is that the same for GQ auto's also ?

happygu
15th September 2014, 06:03 PM
is that the same for GQ auto's also ?

Can't quite remember back to the GQ, as it was a while ago ..... Think mine was different and you had to stop as I had Free Wheeling Hubs, but my 89 Model has the instructions on the visor too

happygu
15th September 2014, 06:15 PM

It may be up to 60 or 80 KPH rather than 100 KPH whilst I am thinking about it .... cant have a look as I am relaxing in Bali ATM......