PDA

View Full Version : Outback solutions overhead console

old steve
13th September 2014, 07:38 PM
Howdy I have a 10/13 built GU Nissan patrol wagon I brought brand new a few weeks back
I purchased a roof console from ARB Kilsyth , and this weekend tried to fit it

Let me tell you there’s some serious differences to what you have in your manual , the unit I was given is BRCGU

First off the wiring with all your looms connected color to color , the only switch that works is the master switch , on or off and all lights come on , that was until I fitted it and now none will work

Second , the rear screws aew 10 mm too short wouldn’t come within a bulls roar of the captive nute , no drama brought 35 mm ones

The steel template is so far out its al but useless

The mirror boss holes in the front mounting bracket are wider spaced and 10 mm not 7 and using the std screws on the mirror mount are too short , now it hass taken me 3 trips to the local bolt shop , a whole day and its still not done , fitted up loosely and now no lights work at all , and yes they were blue tacked out of harms way

Anyone had these issues ? have i been given the wrong console ? i mean it fits , but a bloody lot of work , and now no lights at all , ill pull it out tomorrow and check everything yet again

cheers steve

FNQGU
13th September 2014, 08:10 PM
There should be a yellow wire that needs to be earthed out for the LED's to work properly. It is located towards the back end of the console and I earthed it on one of the old screws for the now unused interior light. Otherwise I think it was just red - red and white - white.

The template for my Series 1 was spot on and the bolts fitted straight up without issue. I have had it in and out a few times, but it wasn't difficult. The mirror mounting bolts were a good fit as well. Sorry you are having that problem, sounds like an incorrect model.

The mob that make them are based in Cairns and are a pretty helpful bunch. Look them up and give them a call direct.

Once you get it finally sorted, I'd put a drop of Loctite on those front and rear bolts too. Mine did rattle loose a bit but it was along with quite a few other things on a big trip of bad corrugations.

old steve
13th September 2014, 08:18 PM
Yes the yellow earth is connected , seriously , its been a total dog to even fit , every screw they recommended to re use or supplied are too short , the template was way out , lucky i have a bit of skill and some " limited patience " or it would have been a total cock up , i think the current model may be slightly different , i cant see so many things being wrong or out ,the actual console fits fine to the contour , its just everything else , but the light thing is an odd one . nothing works now , but it wasn't right in the first place

lhurley
13th September 2014, 10:15 PM
Possibly just blew a fuse. Takes 2 seconds to check it at least

sooty_10
14th September 2014, 07:25 PM
Yes the yellow earth is connected , seriously , its been a total dog to even fit , every screw they recommended to re use or supplied are too short , the template was way out , lucky i have a bit of skill and some " limited patience " or it would have been a total cock up , i think the current model may be slightly different , i cant see so many things being wrong or out ,the actual console fits fine to the contour , its just everything else , but the light thing is an odd one . nothing works now , but it wasn't right in the first place

I'm not sure but is there different ones for early GU's to late models? Maybe you have an early model kit?? hence why bolts etc and template aren't exactly right.

old steve
14th September 2014, 08:53 PM
Well , redone everything today and got it fitted , all the lights only work off the master switch , and triple checked all wiring , its as per the instructions , so theres an issue somewhere , all bolts deffently too short , but worked around that too , half happy with the job , fitted hf and vhf radios too , one hell of a wiring and cable fitment , whole job has taken 16 hours , would hate to have paid for it , ill call outback through the week and keep all informed as to the outcome