PDA

View Full Version : 99 GU Knuckle Flange Leak

NotTortoise
10th September 2014, 09:33 PM
Hello,

49103 Found this today after spotting a drip on the inside of my tyre.

After getting under I also found a leaking radiator.

Any ideas on the extra wetness on the knuckle flange?

Thanks,

Cam

MudRunnerTD
10th September 2014, 09:56 PM
Yep inner axle seal is Knackered mate. That is Diff Oil. It will have contaminated your CV and you fill need to strip and clean that side. The inner axle seal is the inner most part and the hole lot comes out to get to it.

Consider doing a swivel hub rebuild to both sides. I'd consider fitting new wheel bearings while your there.

MudRunnerTD
10th September 2014, 10:00 PM
Check out this thread mate for everything you need to know

DIY-CV-and-Swivel-Hub-Rebuild-Thread (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28969-DIY-CV-and-Swivel-Hub-Rebuild-Thread)

NotTortoise
10th September 2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply MudrunnerTD, I was kinda hoping it was smaller than that. We are about 600km from a mechanic. Looks like some belt tightening is in order.

NP99
10th September 2014, 10:28 PM
The jobs not as hard as it looks. It's just labour intensive. If you can swing spanners, you'll be fine mate.

NotTortoise
10th September 2014, 10:47 PM
I'm normally pretty good on the tools and Mudrunners guide was very impressive. It's just a little daunting being our only car up here. It is too far to get a lift to town if I missed something. I also have to have it fixed by the 19th.

I think I might send it to Isa on this weeks truck.

On that note, any ideas for a replacement radiator? Should I try and spring for the Nissan one on Patrolapart?

NP99
11th September 2014, 12:31 AM
I'd go patrolapart for the radiator...

NotTortoise
11th September 2014, 09:58 AM
If I don't need to use 4WD, would this be OK to drive with for a couple of thousand kms?

NP99
11th September 2014, 10:03 AM
I would and no doubt many others would. Things to consider though, if it's leaking diff oil, the diff is getting less oil ( depends how fast the leak is to the amount of concern). And the cv is getting more wear due to the oil mixing with the grease. Overall though, I'd still drive and fix it when you can.

NotTortoise
11th September 2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the response NP99. That saves me a lot of heart ache. Trying to organise all of the transport by next week would have sent me way into the red. Now if I just swap the radiator myself I should be able to take things a bit slower.

NP99
11th September 2014, 10:10 AM
Keep us posted on the progress mate. Cheers :)

MudRunnerTD
11th September 2014, 11:08 AM
Yes you could drive on that for a while. the biggest risk is not the CV it is the Wheel Bearings actually. They have been washed out of grease by the diff oil. they have diff oil lubricating them but its not ideal. If you have to wait so be it. I would gather the right kit as described in my other thread and when you have the time tackle the job yourself. you will learn allot about your car and being so remote that will save you one day.

Remember, we are all here and if you have all the parts and tools then get onto it and if you get stuck post the question and photo and you will get all the help you need mate.

happygu
11th September 2014, 01:44 PM
If you are doing heaps of kilometres every week, I would get it attended to fairly quickly..... You don't want a bearing failure at highway speeds, especially with family in the truck too .... ( not that you are not important :biggrin: )

If you are only tripping around town, and are going to replace the bearings anyway, then you can leave it a bit longer as the oil should keep the bearings from seizing, but may not be keeping the impurities out of the bearing surfaces

NotTortoise
11th September 2014, 01:57 PM
Okay,

Thank you all for your help and advice.

I have spent an exhaustive morning trying to figure out all of my options. Long story short, I found a mechanic in Isa who will supply an "identical to the one on Patrolapart" radiator and a full front axle rebuilt kit including wheel bearings and do all the work for about $1200. I'm pretty sure it was Toyo or Koyo or something bearings?

He has assured me that I can nurse it down and save myself $600-1600 on transport (these were actual quotes)

I might even be able to swag in his yard saving another $160 a night.

His quote was on about 5 hours of labor.

MudRunnerTD
11th September 2014, 02:33 PM
That s a good and fair price mate for the kit, rebuild and radiator. Fair price in Melbourne! fair price and a bit in Mt Isa i reckon! Do that.

NP99
11th September 2014, 06:45 PM
Great value.