PDA

View Full Version : Charge issues?

alltorque
10th September 2014, 09:15 PM
Cheers' for the welcome. Just wondering if anyone knows why my batterrys not charging and my chg light is on hard. Got an 84 L28 mk and just replaced the alty last year to hitachi with built in reg. done a couple test its reading 12.5v at bat and 12.6 at back of alty. All the earths and fuses are good. Inoxed all plugs and harnesses think there good. Did a drop voltage check and the +bat 2 + alt is reading 1.1 ohms and - 2 - is reading 3.4ohms is that normal and should there be an old as looking black wire with a little metal cylinder on the earth end bridging to a horse shoe connecter on the positive terminal on the back of the alty??..

happygu
10th September 2014, 10:19 PM
What is it reading with the motor running?

Should be around 14V....

alltorque
10th September 2014, 11:05 PM
Nah mate' Its not even close to 2 14v its at 12.3v from batt. with moter running. So it's dropping .2v with the alty running, any idea's mate' would be much appreciated cheers'

happygu
10th September 2014, 11:42 PM
Sounds like your alternator is not working properly, as it should be pumping out around 14V when you rev it slightly.

Could be just the regulator or the diodes inside the alternator itself, as the brushes and stator inside the alternator itself should be ok still after 1 year

threedogs
11th September 2014, 11:14 AM
Is the pulley the correct size ?

alltorque
11th September 2014, 07:45 PM
Even under revs it's still reading 12.3v. I'm hoping it's the alty that'll be an easy fix.

alltorque
11th September 2014, 07:57 PM
My uncle who's been a mechanic for 30 odd years installed the new alty, so i'm just assuming it's the right size. Do you know what the correct size should be? I'll check it.

Scorpiovee
11th September 2014, 09:11 PM
That little metal thingy would be the noise suppressor to take the buzz out of the radio.
Was the alternator new or second hand?
Might want a new regulator.
Also check to see if the amp rating is high enough.
May not be the right one.

I understand the Jeep thing...that's why I drive a PATROL

alltorque
14th September 2014, 07:55 PM
Ahhh yeah i remember someone telling me that now'. think i'm in too deep here, i'll have to see an auto lecky. Thanks any way guys.

alltorque
7th October 2014, 12:27 AM
Hi all, Just incase anyone wanted to know the power steering unit/pump was leaking from the high pressure hose witch was dripping on the alty and over time killed it. Easy fix.

4bye4
7th October 2014, 12:44 AM
Don't you just love those unrelated faults - the batteries not charging because the power steering's leaking?

alltorque
7th October 2014, 02:37 AM
Yeah your right it's pretty banana's when that stuff happens. Thats why tunnel vision is shit. Sometimes u gotta think around the issue. One thing i learnt from working on all kinds of machinary from bikes to 120ft vessels is that everything and anythings a possibility until ruled out.

Johnno1999
23rd October 2014, 07:26 PM
Pretty common fault the power steering fluid combines with the carbon dust from the brushes in your alternator and chews through the slip ring I see it all the time on the falcons EA right up to the new models