PDA

View Full Version : Drivers window not winding smoothly.

mudnut
8th September 2014, 11:39 PM
G'day, all. As the title says, the DS window has just started to grab as it is wound up and down, and I was wondering if there is an easy fix or do I have to take the trim off to check it out.

my third 256
9th September 2014, 07:13 AM
could try some talcum powder in side rails of door frame
if not yes you need to get inside could be dammaged winder gears

threedogs
9th September 2014, 07:45 AM
I've heard a quick squirt of CRC will achieve the same result

mudski
9th September 2014, 08:40 AM
Get a stick of Dri-Lube. Or you can use graphite powder but that can get messy. Your channels are probably worn and causing the Window to slightly tilt and grab.

mudnut
9th September 2014, 08:07 PM
I will try the dry lube first. I have been a bit remiss in looking after the Old Trol, lately. I was ready to kick its panels in as it started back firing on the way home from the beach on Sunday. Yesterday, I couldn't find a thing wrong that would cause the back fire, so I drove it to a mechanic's place, popped the bonnet, and straight away, found the vacuum hose off the high idle diaphragm. Put it back on and drove home. (tail between my legs). To top it off, when I pulled up and wound the window up, it started juddering ... thank you very much.

kevin07
9th September 2014, 09:35 PM
yep try the lube and if this doesnt fix it. there is a bar that goes down the middle of the door that could have come adrift if it has drill and pop rivet. then next step check if winder regulator looks ok if it does it probably is but also cheap enough on ebay. then there is the motor take the motor out and have a look at the winder part with the three screws in there is a plastic washer and a metal cover with 3 prongs on it that fit into the plastic washer. if this is loose this could also be the problem that the prongs are going in and out. if so get some washers and fit it up so its tight again no slap in it. you may have guessed ive not long ago played with this, but my window works a treat.kev

mudnut
10th September 2014, 12:47 AM
Great info there Kevin. Mine has manual winders, but it may just be worn and require some washer too.

kevin07
10th September 2014, 08:27 AM
check that bar that goes down the middle of the door that the winder regulator connects to its only spot welded if that has broken that will make everything move.

mudnut
12th September 2014, 09:21 PM
A bit of dry lube in the channels has the windows sliding like brand new, so thanks for the replies, blokes.

Robo
12th September 2014, 11:37 PM
Get a stick of Dri-Lube. Or you can use graphite powder but that can get messy. Your channels are probably worn and causing the Window to slightly tilt and grab.

X2 on the dry lube.

I removed the window bunting some time back when I did the window tinting they the tracks "bunting" were extremely filthy, didn't want dirt transfer under the tint etc.
anyways they work better than ever, windows go up down better than they left the factory 20 yrs ago.
scrubbed em clean with a firmish brush and car wash ,dry, replaced then dry lube once entire job was completed.